Tesla Opening Up Supercharger Network - A BAD Idea

Android looks like this in the playstore :-

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240502-112209.png
    Screenshot_20240502-112209.png
    388.9 KB · Views: 26
Android. Think I have found it. Seems almost too easy to set up. Not asked for payment method or cc details. How do I pay?

Thanks guys, I was expecting something more difficult. That really was easy. Looking forward to using my first Tesla supercharger.

I have used the Adderstone chargers a few times and there always seems to be availability and you have the Purdey Lodge facilities available for any pit stop requirements. If you have less than 50% charge you should easily get 140kW charge speeds

Last edited by a moderator:
@Anon70 Thats great news, I'm staying close by near Seahouse which also has chargers but I think they are only 22kW so not particularly fast. I will be doing a fair bit of driving and of course, there is the charge to get back home, a journey of nearly 200 miles. That should mean I can get home on a single charge.

@Anon70 Thats great news, I'm staying close by near Seahouse which also has chargers but I think they are only 22kW so not particularly fast. I will be doing a fair bit of driving and of course, there is the charge to get back home, a journey of nearly 200 miles. That should mean I can get home on a single charge.
22kW is a 3 phase destination charger, the best you can hope for (with the right lead) is 11 kW I believe on the MG4 (I may be wrong on this and potentially the maximum may be 7.2 kW on AC).

Last edited:
Not even that on the MY23 models.
To be honest, IMHO 7.2kW is sufficient for home charging and then DC Rapids whilst out and about.

It's not the fact they're using a charger that is my complaint, it's the fact they block off two chargers that I find unacceptable. A bit like an ICE car parking in a charging bay, doesnt achieve anything other than blocking an EV.
This is what I'm talking about, prime example. Now put this in a busy Tesla location with limited chargers (the one I was using recently had 8 charging stations and was blocked completely by 4 non Tesla cars).

nontesla.jpg

And they give these people driving licences ?? 😡 What a ****!!
It's the only way the Jaguar can connect to the Tesla charger, by locking several bays which is why I said IMHO it's a BAD idea to open up the network. If Tesla fitted longer leads that would help enormously but obviously theres a cost incurred by Tesla for this. I still feel Tesla are being very generous in opening up their network at the very competitive prices is has and the huge charge rates it can provide.

It's the only way the Jaguar can connect to the Tesla charger, by locking several bays which is why I said IMHO it's a BAD idea to open up the network. If Tesla fitted longer leads that would help enormously but obviously theres a cost incurred by Tesla for this. I still feel Tesla are being very generous in opening up their network at the very competitive prices is has and the huge charge rates it can provide.
I very much appreciate that they have and have taken advantage of it a couple of times BUT I'm not so entitled to do this sort of thing and would find somewhere else to charge if I couldn't fit in the bay.

Is it the car, the driver or the charger with the problem as this iPace owner seems to have no issues with a Tesla charger.

View attachment 26299
The charger in the earlier pic is on the r/h side of the bay, whereas this is on the l/h side, if all is as it appears.
Is the one that looks fine actually using the charger intended for the next bay ?

At the Tesla sites I have used (and from the pictures posted) the charger is always located between 2 bays, I assume this is because Telsa always intended to open up the network or to allow them to locate the charging port in different locations on their cars in the future.

I agree one charging spot maybe unavailable for the 20-30 minutes the non Tesla is charging, but it allows for better queuing as the next Tesla will have an empty spot to wait in.

My point was that you don't have to park like a numpty to use a Tesla charger in a non Tesla car

Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 14.13.15.png

Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 14.13.30.png

Is it the car, the driver or the charger with the problem as this iPace owner seems to have no issues with a Tesla charger.

View attachment 26299
Except it blocks 2 bays for Teslas.

The charger in the earlier pic is on the r/h side of the bay, whereas this is on the l/h side, if all is as it appears.
Is the one that looks fine actually using the charger intended for the next bay ?
Correct it blocks 2 Tesla bays.

At the Tesla sites I have used (and from the pictures posted) the charger is always located between 2 bays, I assume this is because Telsa always intended to open up the network or to allow them to locate the charging port in different locations on their cars in the future.

I agree one charging spot maybe unavailable for the 20-30 minutes the non Tesla is charging, but it allows for better queuing as the next Tesla will have an empty spot to wait in.

My point was that you don't have to park like a numpty to use a Tesla charger in a non Tesla car

View attachment 26301
View attachment 26300
Trust me, in a LOT of cases you do, Toyota bZ4X I think it was in London had a dreadful time getting into a position where she could get the lead to reach.

I think if all the chargers were in line with the parking bays as shown by @Rolfe rather than at 90 degrees, it would help a lot as the car can then be reversed back further between the chargers.

ETA: Ignore this. I just saw a post by @Rolfe in another thread which said the same thing. 🫤

Last edited:
As someone else pointed out earlier, the MG4 fits very well. Just slotted into a line of Teslas, no hassle.

View attachment 26304
That's why Bjorn Nyland always uses the expression "The charge port is on the left side which is the right side, not the right side which is the wrong side". :)

(Although front-right would still be "right" for a Tesla bay).

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom