Tesla Opening Up Supercharger Network - A BAD Idea

As someone else pointed out earlier, the MG4 fits very well. Just slotted into a line of Teslas, no hassle.

View attachment 26304
Absolutely no issues with rear left, front right or centre charging ports, there are many other vehicles not so equipped though and this does cause quite a problem. I wouldn't tie up 2 charging bays to charge my i3 that just happens to be rear right socket, some people though simply don't care. I was amazed just how quick the situation escalated in London, I was happy to leave the car park and let them
get on with it.

While I was at that site there was an enormous van charging with a centre charging port, and taking up two bays. Nobody was really bothered because there were plenty of chargers. It did get close to full at one point and I was prepared to go if anyone else had shown up, because I had all I needed, but in fact the two Teslas on either side moved off before I did.

While I was at that site there was an enormous van charging with a centre charging port, and taking up two bays. Nobody was really bothered because there were plenty of chargers. It did get close to full at one point and I was prepared to go if anyone else had shown up, because I had all I needed, but in fact the two Teslas on either side moved off before I did.
And your sort of attitude is commendable, especially as you were only using a single charger in a single bay. If more people had consideration for others like you there wouldn't be any issues at all, sadly, this is not the case :confused:

I think there's a pretty fast churn at supercharger sites because Teslas charge faster than my SE SR, and Tesla drivers seem very used to moving on when they're well short of 100% (or indeed 80%) to maximise their charging speeds. Probably because they have no concerns about being able to get plugged in without any trouble at their next stop.

By that time I was only staying on the charger to get a bit more in so as to reduce the time on the granny charger when I got home. By next week I won't be doing that any more, I'll have my very own solar powered Zappi.

I think there's a pretty fast churn at supercharger sites because Teslas charge faster than my SE SR, and Tesla drivers seem very used to moving on when they're well short of 100% (or indeed 80%) to maximise their charging speeds. Probably because they have no concerns about being able to get plugged in without any trouble at their next stop.

By that time I was only staying on the charger to get a bit more in so as to reduce the time on the granny charger when I got home. By next week I won't be doing that any more, I'll have my very own solar powered Zappi.
A few weeks ago when I was driving a Model Y doing some survey work, we covered around 180 miles per shift and charged at the end of each shift, rarely did it take much more than 30 minutes to be back at 80%. Great setup for sure.

You will enjoy the convenience of your wallbox.

My MG5 has the charger at the front. As long as I keep over to the right, close to the charger, it works without straying outside the parking space

I was at Reading Moto Services (westbound) last weekend. There is a row of Telsa chargers and a row of Gridserve opposite - Google Maps.

Gridserve almost full (one free I recall), Tesla mainly empty (2 I think in use, both Teslas) - looked similar to the photo linked.

At almost half the price, using Tesla charger here is a no-brainer, and much easier to park at (as empty). It is sort of clear that most non-Tesla owners are not aware they can use the Tesla chargers at this point, but I guess they will learn.

Gridserve may be forced to drop prices here as they are almost twice the price as Tesla - or maybe Tesla prices will go up for non-Tesla owners. But it feels like, in general, the non-Tesla charging infra is taking 'an opportunity' to recover their costs while they can.

I was at Reading Moto Services (westbound) last weekend. There is a row of Telsa chargers and a row of Gridserve opposite - Google Maps.

Gridserve almost full (one free I recall), Tesla mainly empty (2 I think in use, both Teslas) - looked similar to the photo linked.

At almost half the price, using Tesla charger here is a no-brainer, and much easier to park at (as empty). It is sort of clear that most non-Tesla owners are not aware they can use the Tesla chargers at this point, but I guess they will learn.

Gridserve may be forced to drop prices here as they are almost twice the price as Tesla - or maybe Tesla prices will go up for non-Tesla owners. But it feels like, in general, the non-Tesla charging infra is taking 'an opportunity' to recover their costs while they can.
Shhhh. Don't tell them. More chargers for us then.:)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom