Tesla Supercharger Issue MG5 LR

Hi again all concerned in this thread so this is a follow up to my post #559.
On my return journey from SE London 230 miles, I decided I would sample a couple more Tesla Superchargers, so I stopped at Banbury just off the M40 as I had tried these ones before my update was done with no success.
So they are V3 chargers at Banbury, so plugged in, opened the Tesla app to start the charge. All ok and the unit started charging immediately from the app, I didn’t really want to charge much so I just left it charging for a couple of minutes to make sure it was okay. Which it was, so then I continued north to my next intended stop which was at Trentham Gardens 2 miles or so off the M6.

At this Tesla point, there are Tesla V3 and V4 units so this time I pull onto V4 unit. These V4s unlike the ones at Luton in my first post, had card readers fitted. So first off I plug-in and try to start a charge with the Tesla app again but no luck, so I did the same as I did at Luton and put the car into ready mode, go into the charging screen in the infotainment screen, and select start charge. Again it didn’t start, so I'm a little puzzled and I am down to 13% of battery, and the panic is just beginning to set in. I don’t know why, so I get out of the car, unplug it, then plug back in and try the card reader with my American Express card. Not accepted strangely, as it’s the same card I have registered in the Tesla app that works fine but wont work here. So I plug out and start again with a different card, a Visa card from Barclays, and it starts the charge.
Thank God.
So as I said I’m quite low, 13%, after a minute or so it’s charging at 73 kW and for the rest of the charge it’s between 64-76 kW varying around that. So once I have enough to get me home (no point in charging more than needed as it’s cheaper at home), I try to stop the charge by offering the card to the reader again but it won’t stop it. I get back inside the car and bring up the charging screen, again tap finish charging in the screen, and it stops.

So points to take note of are:
* Tesla V3s are no problem at all use the Tesla app just plug in job done

* V4 if no card reader is fitted, plug in and select the charger in the App, but you may need to start the charge from the screen in the car see my post #559.

* V4s with a card reader: plug in, touch the screen with your credit card, and it will start. To stop the charge you my need to use the screen in the car or the MG app, and then plug out

Keep in mind each time you charge on a Tesla unit they take £20 from your account then a day or so later give you the £20 back and charge you for what you have used.

Bit long winded I know folks, but might help someone out.

One other thing I have noticed is how clever Tesla have been opening up the chargers they have opened to all.

What I mean by that is to the best of my knowledge and the of the 4-5 that I have tried to date, they are all away from the motorways by a few miles
Examples:
  • Trafford centre 1 mile off the M60
  • Luton 2--3 miles off the M1
  • Banbury 2–3 miles off the M40
  • Trentham 2–3 miles off the M6.

None off the motorway services with superchargers are open to all as far as I’m aware.
They certainly know what they are doing and how to make lots more money.

I reckon on this latest 4-5 hundred miles I have just done by using the Tesla network at between 35-55p as opposed to gridserve and
InstaVolt which I would normally use on this journey 3-4 times per year I have saved in the region of 25-30 pounds so thank you Elon and Tesla for your fantastic network, and thank you again to Miles Roberts and Chorley MG for getting MG to issue and install the updates.
Les.

Very small screen on the rear side of the V4 units but well lit.

ATTACH]25384[/ATTACH]
Reading westbound motorway services is open to all.

Just adding that my 2021 MG 5 had its 2nd service at MG Derby.

They updated my firmware to 1150519801 free of charge as part of my regular service. I did have to tell the service centre exactly which update I wanted, but they didn't argue with me.

I tested the public Tesla Charger at the Trentham Estate - Stoke on Trent and IT WORKS

So have heard back to may amazement from local MG dealership who previously denied a problem etc.
They have said MG have now released a ‘service bulletin’ which should resolve the issue. They have quoted £105 for the work as it is a non essential ´enhancement’ to the vehicle.

I am miffed at paying for something which should be a warranty issue imo… but also tempted just to do it as we will rely on Tesla chargers for trip to France this summer and I’ve been worn down with arguing… interested to hear other people’s thoughts…

So have heard back to may amazement from local MG dealership who previously denied a problem etc.
They have said MG have now released a ‘service bulletin’ which should resolve the issue. They have quoted £105 for the work as it is a non essential ´enhancement’ to the vehicle.

I am miffed at paying for something which should be a warranty issue imo… but also tempted just to do it as we will rely on Tesla chargers for trip to France this summer and I’ve been worn down with arguing… interested to hear other people’s thoughts…
Not wanting to derail the conversation off track but I do a lot of driving in France visiting family and have found there to be so many chargers. Not needed to use a Tesla yet. Normally around 0.25€ / kWh. Their charging infrastructure is so much better than here in the UK.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just be polite but firm - you have documented evidence of other users getting this for free - you can always take your car to a different MG dealer for its next service should they wish to loose your business....

Thank you Teracton for your post I assume your car being 2021 year is a Pre Facelift MG5 Long range version is that correct ?
Les.
Yes that is correct - pre facelift MG5 long range, 2021. Probably one of the later 2021's made as I got it quite late in 2021 so the 22 models were just coming out then.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom