Tesla Supercharger Issue MG5 LR

And many times the cheapest but this issue is not only about cost, convenience also comes into the equation I have pointed out somewhere before you wouldn’t go to a TV shop and purchase a TV from a brand that can only receive 3 channels when others can receive 4 would you.

The LR or the facelifted LR or the vehicle's most people are complaining about when to be honest all MG vehicles should be able to use all available charging networks to charge in truth.
Les.
I totally agree and always did.
My point was that until relatively recently whether the car could physically charge on Tesla SC or not we were not allowed to, same as Kia and Hyundai and everyone else wasn't allowed to and we managed, so it's hardly the end of the world and we are not all screwed.

Re : point2. Generally it is no problem but there are a couple of situations that are a real shame for me. The Eurotunnel terminal is somewhere that you have to arrive early and wait around for half an hour - it would be great use of that time if I could charge the car. Oxford services has a huge number of Tesla chargers and just 2 50kw non Teslas that have been busy most times that I have been there.
I'm taking my MG5 FL into MG Apple tomorrow for its VCC update. I'll try and find out some more about the charging update while I am there.
Those specific problems relate to you, and your circumstances (others too no doubt), but I'm sure you managed. I agree it would be nice if you could do those things and hopefully you will be able to soon. Conversely for me I have never needed either of those services so it matters less to me day to day but who knows when I might want to go via the Eurotunnel or stop at Oxford services. Then I might look enviously at the cars on the Superchargers.
Hopefully by then the problem will be fixed and we will all be happy. :)

I totally agree and always did.
My point was that until relatively recently whether the car could physically charge on Tesla SC or not we were not allowed to, same as Kia and Hyundai and everyone else wasn't allowed to and we managed, so it's hardly the end of the world and we are not all screwed.

Those specific problems relate to you, and your circumstances (others too no doubt), but I'm sure you managed. I agree it would be nice if you could do those things and hopefully you will be able to soon. Conversely for me I have never needed either of those services so it matters less to me day to day but who knows when I might want to go via the Eurotunnel or stop at Oxford services. Then I might look enviously at the cars on the Superchargers.
Hopefully by then the problem will be fixed and we will all be happy. :)
I just see it as another charging option that would be available to use if need be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just see it as another charging option that would be available to use if need be.
I totally agree with that but I believe in fact have read that some others charge point operators are to install Tesla equipment on there sites very soon so if and when they do if our cars won’t work on them now Tesla units we might have less to go at than we have now that is quite possible the cars, all cars need to be sorted out ASAP
Les

I totally agree with that but I believe in fact have read that some others charge point operators are to install Tesla equipment on there sites very soon so if and when they do if our cars won’t work on them now Tesla units we might have less to go at than we have now that is quite possible the cars, all cars need to be sorted out ASAP
Les
Absolutely could happen.
Les
That could turn out to be a real scenario.

Re : point2. Generally it is no problem but there are a couple of situations that are a real shame for me. The Eurotunnel terminal is somewhere that you have to arrive early and wait around for half an hour - it would be great use of that time if I could charge the car. Oxford services has a huge number of Tesla chargers and just 2 50kw non Teslas that have been busy most times that I have been there.
I'm taking my MG5 FL into MG Apple tomorrow for its VCC update. I'll try and find out some more about the charging update while I am there.
So, I took my MG5 FL to have its VCC update today and had chance to chat to the service people. What they told me is:
1. that they cant apply changes to a car unless it is approved by MG in case the update breaks something else and the dealer is left with the bill for fixing the subsequent damage.
2. The charging system update would be treated by MG as chargeable.
3.As I had bought the car from them and would be having it serviced in January, they would cover the cost of the update and do it when I get the car serviced (providing MG say it is OK to apply).
All in all I am quite pleased with that result ( if it does actually happen)

So, I took my MG5 FL to have its VCC update today and had chance to chat to the service people. What they told me is:
1. that they cant apply changes to a car unless it is approved by MG in case the update breaks something else and the dealer is left with the bill for fixing the subsequent damage.
2. The charging system update would be treated by MG as chargeable.
3.As I had bought the car from them and would be having it serviced in January, they would cover the cost of the update and do it when I get the car serviced (providing MG say it is OK to apply).
All in all I am quite pleased with that result ( if it does actually happen)
Mine is going in for it's service in January too, and I will be requesting that it is checked for all the latest software updates, especially the EVCC and BMS. They are supposed to do this as part of the service anyway and so is not chargeable as an extra.

Mine is going in for it's service in January too, and I will be requesting that it is checked for all the latest software updates, especially the EVCC and BMS. They are supposed to do this as part of the service anyway and so is not chargeable as an extra.
They are supposed to ...not convinced they did on my last service

Dropped the car in today, person at the service desk was confused by Tesla charging and wasn't sure if it would be a chargeable software update or not they will apparently call me if it is chargeable.

Also a bit of confusion around when the car will be ready as it seems they want me to pick it up before servicing go home which is a bit of a pain as it means taking more time off work to drive over.

On the upside they lent me a fiat 500e as the courtesy car, seems nice enough but I don't think it would suit me long term (Can't see my dog liking the boot of that one) also felt a bit werid at first given the size difference between that and the MG5 i'm used to.

Hi Gomev I’m the same I am booked mine in 3-4 weeks back for my service for January 11th, first available.

WARNING TO ALL I can only comment on my
Dealers but there is 8-10 weeks delay for services.
My car is now passed its registration date by a couple of weeks and when I booked it in I mentioned about the MG recovery AA, and was told that won’t renew until after the service has been carried out so in affect it something goes wrong in the next 6-7 weeks I’m not covered by MG breakdown.
So get booked in well in advance if your dealer has also got a waiting time.
Les

Hi Gomev I’m the same I am booked mine in 3/4 back for my service for January 11th first available.

WARNING TO ALL I can only comment on my
Dealers but there is 8/10 weeks delay for services.
My car is now passed its registration date by a couple of weeks and when I booked it in I mentioned about the MG recovery AA, and was told that won’t renew until after the service has been carried out so in affect it something goes wrong in the next 6/7 weeks I’m not covered by MG breakdown.
So get booked in well in advance if your dealer as also got a waiting time.
Les
Thanks for the tip off Les.
It will typically be the more trustworthy dealers that will have longer wait times I guess 🤔.

Dropped the car in today, person at the service desk was confused by Tesla charging and wasn't sure if it would be a chargeable software update or not they will apparently call me if it is chargeable.

Also a bit of confusion around when the car will be ready as it seems they want me to pick it up before servicing go home which is a bit of a pain as it means taking more time off work to drive over.

On the upside they lent me a fiat 500e as the courtesy car, seems nice enough but I don't think it would suit me long term (Can't see my dog liking the boot of that one) also felt a bit werid at first given the size difference between that and the MG5 i'm used to.
I won't mention Tesla, but will just ask that all necessary updates are carried out.

I won't mention Tesla, but will just ask that all necessary updates are carried out.
Well Gomev I would and will be mentioning Tesla Superchargers in particular, because when I’m driving distances and need to charge they are often available and can be cheaper than many others, and they Tesla appear to opening up more and more.
I personally have never had an issue with any other with ether of the 5s I have had until now.
Les

What is slightly awkward is that MG customer service don't think that the Tesla charging fix is a necessary update.
Well Gomev I would and will be mentioning Tesla Superchargers in particular, because when I’m driving distances and need to charge they are often available and can be cheaper than many others, and they Tesla appear to opening up more and more.
I personally have never had an issue with any other with ether of the 5s I have had until now.
Les
I guess my point is it's just the update to the EVCC and BMS, it's not specifically an update to charge on Tesla SC .... or is it ? Even if so, then it's still just an available update that should be done at service free of charge according to MG instructions.

I guess my point is it's just the update to the EVCC and BMS, it's not specifically an update to charge on Tesla SC .... or is it ? Even if so, then it's still just an available update that should be done at service free of charge according to MG instructions.
That sounds quite reasonable and what I would expect but if you find someone at MG customer service that knows about the update, they will tell you that it is a chargeable "comfort" update./

What is slightly awkward is that MG customer service don't think that the Tesla charging fix is a necessary update.
They are treating it in a similar way to the “Comfort 2” update they offered on the Gen1 ZS EV.
If you want it, they will try and charge you for the dealers time spent updating the car.
MG were very clever bundling some of the very essential update items, with some of the nice to have features for the car, then placed a price tag on the upgrade.
Proclaiming that the car performed absolutely fine without it, but offered improvements to the car IF the customer was willing to foot the cost.
Just one item that’s springs to mind, on the original software ( non comfort 2 ) if the passenger left the car before the driver, as soon as the door was opened, the horn would sound !.
This was a real problem for night time use, as when returning home the horn would sound.
We all know that sounding horn unnecessary late at night is an offence.
And yet MG obviously regarded it purely as an improvement ???.
In the case of non Tesla update, they appear to have made a similar judgement call.
Incorrectly I might add, but there you go !.
It worked the first time, so let’s run with it again type of attitude.
It is likely to be left at the dealer discretion.
If you are regular long term returning customer, you may just receive the upgrade FOC at the same time as your annual service.
If you decide to book the car in just for the upgrade, I think it is likely you will be asked to pay for the privilege.
Pure guess work on my part here folks !.

Jeff I think your guess work is BANG on.
I have wrote and said earlier and placed an example of why would you by a TV that can’t receive all stations.

Same applies why would you buy an electric car that can’t charge any where there’s electricity well unknowingly we did.

P.S while you have your best guessing head on can you please send me 6 numbers over.
And if they come up I will buy us both a Tesla.
LoL
Les

Well guys the first 3:1/2 minutes of this video brings good news for charging. With 20,000 more Tesla superchargers about to be installed by ASDA; have a watch. And someone at MG had better watch as well and get to the bottom of this issue
Les

I rang the Tesla helpline today and the technician said thay have had to block MG and a number of other non Telsa cars from the public open SC sites because of a problem with CCS comms on those cars. He listed MG, Kia, VW, Daccia and Jag. He said he could see in his notes a plan to fix this within a few weeks (today 6/12/22) I guess it won't be fixed until Jan 2023 at the minumum. A big shame as I had lots of long drives based on Tesla SC stops this Christmas. They need a Tesla webpage showing a live list of which EVs are supported on there Open SC network.
I used the Banbury Tesla Chargers maybe 8 or 10 times from the time they were made open to non Tesla. I have a 2021 MG5. I had no problems at all. Then after April 1st charging failed every time with the same message as stated above. Return the plug and try again. Eventually I got in contact with Tesla who told me the same story, that they now blocked my model due to problems with connections.
I read up on here that there is an update which someone had gotten installed free of chargee and all was well..So I contacted both my nearest dealers and both denied that an update is in existence.

Interesting you were being told of an update coming at a time when I was having no problems. My 2nd service was in May 2023 and no one at the dealership knew anything at all.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom