Tesla Supercharger Issue MG5 LR

Ill ask again tomorrow when try to book in for sorting out my ,at the moment, optional heater. And the outside temperature which wavers between 9⁰c and 36⁰. Strange to say the closer it comes to being correct the better the heater works.

When I tried charging my MG5 last time on Tesla SC there was a Kia Niro charging without problems.
Friday I drove to Devon from Essex and my planned stop both chargers were busy so I rerouted to my back up plan but all busy there also apart from a large bank of Tesla SC with availability but I cant use them. This is why I would like to get this sorted.

More and more Tesla super charger will be coming available to non-Tesla owners as time moves on.
I think they opened up only 15 ( ish ) to start with, running down the spline of the UK. and we are closer to 55 units right now.
The newer units can be accessed by only the use of your bank card, which is brilliant.
If you are on the move a lot, then these reliable and cheaper rate units, are a great addition to have I think.
But your car has to be equipped with the correct firmware protocol to access them of course :rolleyes: .

Last edited by a moderator:
More and more Tesla super charger will be coming available to non-Tesla owners as time moves on.
I think they opened up only 15 ( ish ) to start with, running down the spline of the UK. and we are closer to 55 units right now.
The newer units can be accessed by only the use of your bank card, which is brilliant.
If you are on the move a lot, then these reliable and cheaper rate units, are a great addition to have I think.
But your car has to be equipped with the correct firmware protocol to access them of course :rolleyes: .
The newer V4 Super Chargers can be activated by the Tesla app or a contactless card.

Has anyone had a go on a Tesla V4 with an MG5 ? Im thinking with the new V4 now accepting cards and you not needing the Tesla app to start a charge, but will they work with the MG5 or others.
Information please.

As far as I know there are no V4 units near to me.
Also is there an up to date location map for which Tesla sites are now open to all, and hopefully that might highlight where the V4 chargers are situated.
Les

Also is there an up to date location map for which Tesla sites are now open to all, and hopefully that might highlight where the V4 chargers are situated.
Les
Just use the Tesla app to find all the chargers open to all.

I have just messaged my dealer about this too, being very specific.

If I get a positive update, I'll let you all know!

Well guys the first 3:1/2 minutes of this video brings good news for charging. With 20,000 more Tesla superchargers about to be installed by ASDA; have a watch. And someone at MG had better watch as well and get to the bottom of this issue
Les

Oh heck and I shop at Tesco’s where I’ve just been educated about another new type of battery now being fitted which instantly converts any car - even the Ice kind to enable them to charge wirelessly??
I parked alongside an ice BMW in the other bay.
When I came out with my bags of goodys Mr BMW was getting ready to go. I pointed out he was in an EV parking bay.
That’s when he growled at me that his car was fitted with an “Effin” battery??
Some fancy new Germanic technology I assume.
“ fursum Dork technotwit “ I’m thinking 🤷‍♂️

Hi mate yes you're right around 27/8 of them showing but nothing to say what chargers are at any location I have spent all day today trying to get an answer from Tesla as to where in my area there are V4 to try one still awaiting a reply let you know if I get one.
Les

Oh heck and I shop at Tesco’s where I’ve just been educated about another new type of battery now being fitted which instantly converts any car - even the Ice kind to enable them to charge wirelessly??
I parked alongside an ice BMW in the other bay.
When I came out with my bags of goodys Mr BMW was getting ready to go. I pointed out he was in an EV parking bay.
That’s when he growled at me that his car was fitted with an “Effin” battery??
Some fancy new Germanic technology I assume.
“ fursum Dork technotwit “ I’m thinking 🤷‍♂️
I had I very similar thing a few years back when at Asda all the disabled spaces where taken so I parked in a mother and child bay a woman came over as I was getting my mother then in her nineties in to her wheelchair scream at me for parking where I had so I just went on one knee next to my mum and pointed to her first and said mother then I point to myself and said child where’s you problem she stormed of say I going for security but I never saw here again.
What is more annoying apart from ICE drivers is when I see a BEV parked in a charging bay but not plugged in.
Les

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Les - A very recent install of Tesla V4 super charger units were installed at the Trentham Gardens site in Stoke-on-Trent.
Unfortunately which is about 50 miles from Wigan.
These new units were covered by “Dave Takes It On” on Y.Tube.
I know you like his great content, me also !.
Here is one of his videos on the use of Tesla / non Tesla units, that somebody may find interesting.

I had I very similar thing a few years back when at Asda all the disabled spaces where taken so I parked in a mother and child bay a woman came over as I was getting my mother then in her nineties in to her wheelchair screen at me for parking where I had so I just went on one knee next to my mum and pointed to her first and said mother then I point to myself and said child where’s you problem she stormed of say I going for security but I never saw here again.
What is more annoying apart from ICE drivers is when I see a BEV parked in a charging bay but not plugged in.
Les
Very true, it’s as though they look on it as their “club” space.

Has anyone had a go on a Tesla V4 with an MG5 ? Im thinking with the new V4 now accepting cards and you not needing the Tesla app to start a charge, but will they work with the MG5 or others.
Information please.

As far as I know there are no V4 units near to me.
Les
Someone earlier in the thread suggested that the v4s still won't work unless you get the charging update on the car. I'll know more next month when I get the update done.

Not all open Teslas are v4s

I tried the v4 Tesla chargers at Reading on an MG5 SR. In fact I tried twice, on different units. Took a holding deposit but no joy. I very much doubt there is an update for the SR, but hope springs eternal... The in ability to use them is not a major for me; I have managed 45k miles over 3 years without them. However, the recent price changes are now bringing them back into play.

Not all open Teslas are v4s
Yeh we know that Kevin that’s why have been trying to contact Tesla the 2 reasons are
1 is it possible that the MG5 at least the facelifted model will be able to charge on their new V4 units as these can be used with or without the App
2 is possible to have there App to show where these V4 chargers are in the app as it doesn’t at the moment I’m still awaiting a response from them.
But some ether MG motors are Tesla are going to have to get to the bottom of the issue especially as more and more are rolled out. Something is very wrong as I have charged my wife’s MG4 on a Tesla V3 without any issues which is how all vehicles should be including all MG 5 and ZS models in my opinion.
Where the issue lies I don’t honestly know but
I’m going to do my upmost to find out.

I tried the v4 Tesla chargers at Reading on an MG5 SR. In fact I tried twice, on different units. Took a holding deposit but no joy. I very much doubt there is an update for the SR, but hope springs eternal... The in ability to use them is not a major for me; I have managed 45k miles over 3 years without them. However, the recent price changes are now bringing them back into play.
Paul I totally agree.
Les.

Yeh we know that Kevin that’s why have been trying to contact Tesla the 2 reasons are
1 is it possible that the MG5 at least the facelifted model will be able to charge on their new V4 units as these can be used with or without the App
2 is possible to have there App to show where these V4 chargers are in the app as it doesn’t at the moment I’m still awaiting a response from them.
But some ether MG motors are Tesla are going to have to get to the bottom of the issue especially as more and more are rolled out. Something is very wrong as I have charged my wife’s MG4 on a Tesla V3 without any issues which is how all vehicles should be including all MG 5 and ZS models in my opinion.
Where the issue lies I don’t honestly know but
I’m going to do my upmost to find out.

Paul I totally agree.
Les.
Indeed - my reply was to Gomev.

The way I had it explained to me is that there is some sort of incompatibility in the MG software that was causing occasional problems for the Tesla chargers and putting them out of service. Tesla modified their software to stop cars with this problem from being able to connect. As I understand it, once the charging update is done Tesla will allow the car to connect and charge. The situation would be much clearer if the first level customer support at MG knew what they were talking about. The same might apply to Tesla but I haven't had and direct experience with them.

I apologise for my misunderstanding Kevin I hadn’t realised your reply was to Gomev only,
Yes there is all kind of story’s going around as to what the issues might be but I’m trying to get a more positive report about what the problem is, several here have reported they have had no help from there MG dealerships so I have asked Tesla what they know and if and when they reply to my mail I will post it here.
Les.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom