Tesla Supercharger Issue MG5 LR

Well that’s a highly rated dealership so I would think they would know all about this issue, as I would have thought my dealer would know but they apparently didn’t, which I must admit was very concerning. As they to are highly rated likes Sam’s.
Les
We shall see. I highly rated the sales team and have bought from them twice but when I wanted to book the low mileage first year service last year at Luscombes they wanted more than elsewhere and tried to tell me the low mileage service didn't come with the year extension to the MG assistance!!!!!.
I of course went elsewhere.
The place I went to has now stopped being an MG dealer (JCT600) so going back to Luscombes this year and hope the service team have improved. :unsure:

If they manage to sort it I might have to make the trip at somepoint.

I actually got my car from them but I've been taking it to a more local dealer (The one they managed to get to assist when I had my "check HV battery" issues in order to avoid me having to get the car to Leeds in that state)

It appears there is quite a few here having a service done over the next month or so which is a good thing I would suggest if possible if any updates are done to your cars that you try and establish what they where including numbers if possible I will certainly be asking for that information .
Les.

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears there is quite a few here having a service done over the next month or so which is a good thing I would suggest if possible if any updates are done to your cars that you try and establish what they where including numbers if possible I will certain be asking for that information .

I agree, though mine is not due its next service until March.

But do we need to differentiate between the pre- and post-facelift models when reporting our "findings"? From an earlier post in this thread it would appear that the pre-facelift cars may be able to use the new Tesla V4 chargers, or have I completely misunderstood? (Just for the record, I have yet to attempt a charge at any Tesla charger so have no additional information to offer.)

I agree, though mine is not due its next service until March.

But do we need to differentiate between the pre- and post-facelift models when reporting our "findings"? From an earlier post in this thread it would appear that the pre-facelift cars may be able to use the new Tesla V4 chargers, or have I completely misunderstood? (Just for the record, I have yet to attempt a charge at any Tesla charger so have no additional information to offer.)
If it doesn't work on a Tesla SC, it doesn't work on a Tesla SC regardless of the Version number.

Well personally I don’t think we need any more bad press about MGs or Evs in general for that matter there are other channels that can be used.
My car is going into the dealership on January 10/24 so I will request any updates to be done and try again first as I have said earlier today #291 and if that does not cure the problem I will be writing to SMMT and the office of fair trading about the matter.

Incidentally it is now 15:15 hours and I am driving up from Devon and have just come off the M6 motorway and pulled into Trentham Gardens near Stoke on Trent I have just plug into 2 V3 chargers and a V4 none of which worked app say’s vehicle not recognised
So I now have seen for certain Tesla and MG5 are not compatible in anyway which I knew about V2/V3 but this is my first try on a V4 the latest charger from Tesla.
Les
I've tried a Tesla V3 and V4 too on my SR MG5 and get the same problem. I contacted Tesla about this and they replied that it will not connect due to a safety issue. They say "We can currently confirm that the MG does not meet our current safety protocols, we are working in partnership so get a resolution in place"

I have emailed [email protected] and [email protected] regarding this safety issue but neither has replied.

Still hoping for a response but will contact my dealer early to see if they can do anything in the 3 year service due in March.
Dave

I've tried a Tesla V3 and V4 too on my SR MG5 and get the same problem. I contacted Tesla about this and they replied that it will not connect due to a safety issue. They say "We can currently confirm that the MG does not meet our current safety protocols, we are working in partnership so get a resolution in place"

I have emailed [email protected] and [email protected] regarding this safety issue but neither has replied.

Still hoping for a response but will contact my dealer early to see if they can do anything in the 3 year service due in March.
Dave
Hi dave and thank for your post yes about the same as I had from Tesla UK but MG are still denying that there is a problem, now you say you have the MG5 SR so one of the early ones I to had the same until around a year ago well dave I’m not certain but I don’t think that car will ever be able to use a supercharger as I said not certain I think only the long range models have that ability shouldn’t be like that I know in my book any EV should be able to use any charge point that is available for public use like any car can use any fuel station anywhere you go.

The major things on this for me is the availability and reliability of the super charger network and yes of course the price as well at Banbury only a short while ago I tried to use one in fact 2 Tesla without any luck and at that time they where 42p/kWh but no I had to use Osprey at 79p bloody annoying the other thing is Tesla have said they are to open up more very soon and ASDA have just ordered 20,000 Tesla V4 to go across their stores plus BP have also ordered from Tesla there will be loads of V4 units everywhere in the next year or so and MG cars can’t use them they are having a laugh
Les

Hi dave and thank for your post yes about the same as I had from Tesla UK but MG are still denying that there is a problem, now you say you have the MG5 SR so one of the early ones I to had the same until around a year ago well dave I’m not certain but I don’t think that car will ever be able to use a supercharger as I said not certain I think only the long range models have that ability shouldn’t be like that I know in my book any EV should be able to use any charge point that is available for public use like any car can use any fuel station anywhere you go.

The major things on this for me is the availability and reliability of the super charger network and yes of course the price as well at Banbury only a short while ago I tried to use one in fact 2 Tesla without any luck and at that time they where 42p/kWh but no I had to use Osprey at 79p bloody annoying the other thing is Tesla have said they are to open up more very soon and ASDA have just ordered 20,000 Tesla V4 to go across their stores plus BP have also ordered from Tesla there will be loads of V4 units everywhere in the next year or so and MG cars can’t use them they are having a laugh
Les
Thanks Les, agree with everything there. I'm going to push for the safety aspect see if that has any effect.
Dave

Mine's going into Luscombes in Leeds on the 4th January for its second service. I'll let you know how I get on.
My MG5 pre facelift is in for a service tomorrow, they called to confirm the booking, and mentioned a recall, I will try and find out what the recall/upgrade is about. Please reply ASAP if you want me to ask any questions, booked in for 8am

Tesla Supercharger Issue (MG5 EV) I signed up to the £10.99 subscription yesterday, I had used a supercharger successfully in Banbury (June 22) while the Osprey ones were faulty. It seems Tesla one of the cheapest chargers at the moment, so went for the subscription as I have a regular commute. Tried 4 different points in Banbury today without success, trying muliple times on each station. Ended up using some Bonnet credit in the end to get me home. I was passing Flint mountain Tesla superchargers so tried multiple times in 2 stations. The error I always received was "no car detected plug in to charge" a few times I had to wait a while for the connection to be released. I tried everything I know how to do, it should have just worked. I couldn't find a number to call but I would imagine it would have been of little help. is there anybody who uses these regularly that could offer any guidance?
Talk to MG. Their interpretation of the charging protocol is odd.

This a problem with the MG. Tesla chargers are super reliable. The charger does not know what car is plugged in unless it’s a Tesla and there is a handshake for auto billing.

If I were Tesla I would block MGs as in my experience the charging speed is terrible. Mine is rated at 76kW max charging power yet only has ever achieved 32kW. Hence a full charge is >1.5 hours thus hogging the charger when normal cars are in and out within 20 minutes.

Maybe the Tesla Charger has a minimum threshold before it will accept to charge an alien car.

My MG5 pre facelift is in for a service tomorrow, they called to confirm the booking, and mentioned a recall, I will try and find out what the recall/upgrade is about. Please reply ASAP if you want me to ask any questions, booked in for 8am
Hi, and thank you for your posting , yes please find out anything you can it would be very useful to other MG5 owners I’m sure now you say pre facelift 5 but is the standard range or long range 51 kWh or 61 kWh battery if this upgrade as anything to do with charging please ask does it concern Tesla units and of course please let the forum know how you get on thanks.
Les

I have a MG4 and recently charged at a Tesla 250 kW charger here in NZ and it ran at 141kW.

So it does not appear that they’re limiting charge rates for third-party ‘alien’ cars, at least not here.

Talk to MG. Their interpretation of the charging protocol is odd.

This a problem with the MG. Tesla chargers are super reliable. The charger does not know what car is plugged in unless it’s a Tesla and there is a handshake for auto billing.

If I were Tesla I would block MGs as in my experience the charging speed is terrible. Mine is rated at 76kw max charging power yet only has ever achieved 32kw. Hence a full charge is >1.5 hours thus hogging the charger when normal cars are in and out within 20 minutes.

Maybe the Tesla Charger has a minimum threshold before it will accept to charge an alien car.
Well andymags
On a couple of points you could be quite right the problem according to Tesla UK it is the MG protocol and safety that is the problem, and Tesla supercharging is apparently very reliable and fast I know this for sure as I have been able to use one with my wife’s MG4. Brilliant.

So now where you are totally wrong, the charger does not need to know what car is plugged in if it did they would never have open their chargers up to any make or model of vehicle, payment is made via the Tesla app or in the case of the newer V4 units,via the app or credit / debit card if you like,
How long it can take to charge yes depends on the vehicle to a degree and it’s state of charge when you plug in, the same can also apply to Tesla's cars as well in fact any EV.

And the idea is really to charge to a certain point and be on your way and that applies to all cars you say your car is able to charge at 76kW but you have only ever seen 32kW dealer visit is due I think with that issue, my MG 5 as been up in the high eighties several times when on a journey from a low SOC.

You say Tesla should block all MGs so from that statement they should never have opened there network according to you, so when you see a row of superchargers not being used that is revenue lost on investment as far as Tesla is concerned, you won’t see that often but believe you me I have sat and waited on more that one occasion waiting for a gridserve unit when Tesla units where empty which is one of the reasons why this thread is trying to get to the bottom of this issue and hopefully get MG to change its protocol and fix any safety issues if there are any.
Les

Sorry didn't read in time, but please get all info you can.

I asked about the Tesla issue, but they were unaware of it. There was a software update that fixed an issue with the threshold for illuminating the brake lights when regen braking, that was it.

Mythbusting: after 2 years and 17k miles, my brakes are 10% worn. So much for excessive brake dust!

I asked about the Tesla issue, but they were unaware of it. There was a software update that fixed an issue with the threshold for illuminating the brake lights when regen braking, that was it.

Mythbusting: after 2 years and 17k miles, my brakes are 10% worn. So much for excessive brake dust!
Hi again thank you for your posting again yes the brake lights was an issue on the earlier cars that was fixed as for the Tesla issue I was told the very same at my dealers but everyone knows about it. Anyhow mines going in a couple of weeks to I hope it will be sorted out and there’s a few other about to have the same done shortly and one I think before mine.
Les

Hi again thank you for your posting again yes the brake lights was an issue on the earlier cars that was fixed as for the Tesla issue I was told the very same at my dealers but everyone knows about it. Anyhow mines going in a couple of weeks to I hope it will be sorted out and there’s a few other about to have the same done shortly and one I think before mine.
Les
I just went to the Tesla chargers in Tottenham V4 I think. Failed to detect the car, so there must be a software issue as discussed elsewhere here.

Thanks Les, agree with everything there. I'm going to push for the safety aspect see if that has any effect.
Dave
My pre facelift MG5 LR just failed on a Tesla V4 charger using the Tesla app. I have just had a service done, and raised the issue, but they said they knew nothing about it

Well andymags
On a couple of points you could be quite right the problem according to Tesla UK it is the MG protocol and safety that is the problem, and Tesla supercharging is apparently very reliable and fast I know this for sure as I have been able to use one with my wife’s MG4. Brilliant.

So now where you are totally wrong, the charger does not need to know what car is plugged in if it did they would never have open their chargers up to any make or model of vehicle, payment is made via the Tesla app or in the case of the newer V4 units,via the app or credit / debit card if you like,
How long it can take to charge yes depends on the vehicle to a degree and it’s state of charge when you plug in, the same can also apply to Tesla's cars as well in fact any EV.

And the idea is really to charge to a certain point and be on your way and that applies to all cars you say your car is able to charge at 76kW but you have only ever seen 32kW dealer visit is due I think with that issue, my MG 5 as been up in the high eighties several times when on a journey from a low SOC.

You say Tesla should block all MGs so from that statement they should never have opened there network according to you, so when you see a row of superchargers not being used that is revenue lost on investment as far as Tesla is concerned, you won’t see that often but believe you me I have sat and waited on more that one occasion waiting for a gridserve unit when Tesla units where empty which is one of the reasons why this thread is trying to get to the bottom of this issue and hopefully get MG to change its protocol and fix any safety issues if there are any.
Les
Les. I said the charger does not know what car is plugged in, neither should it or can it.

Several dealer visits have been made about both battery capacity and max charge rates - the dealer does not have the wit or equipment to diagnose and MG don’t care - they say charge rate is not covered under warranty and the burden of proof is on me the prove battery capacity which I have done several times. MG have ignored the issue.

We know from this site that MGs battery health is hard wired to 1% per year. It’s written somewhere on this site.

Tesla had the foresight to create the worlds most reliable network ahead of mass adoption. They never intended it to be a profit stream.

5 years and ~ 150k miles never waited for a Supercharger.

Public network is a shambles and over priced. MG simply does not go on road trips any more. Besides I won’t pay MG to update firmware again when they work out how to get it to work on the Tesla network.

340 days until the lease ends then no more MG hassles.

Having read all your woes regarding public charging, I feel relieved at not having had the need, I'm also getting the impression that MG UK is totally crap at customer support, I obtained this MG5 LR on MG's own contract hire, and so far have not had any undesirable issues. So my sympathies to all in trouble.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom