Tesla Supercharger Issue MG5 LR

Hi,
I'm new here, picking up my FL MG5 2023 ex-demo on Saturday and the dealer is going to carry on the service. Should I ask now to check if my car has got this update and/or push this to be done?
Thanks!

Hi blob84 and welcome
100% tell them about issues and insist they do it there not much in the way of updates on the 5 but make sure you are given confirmation it as been done and it will charge on the Tesla units most importantly check by going to a open Tesla charger as soon as you can and see it does charge there. Please do this and please let us know how you go on thanks.

You say you are picking up on Saturday OK but I would contact them tomorrow to make sure they know what they have this to do if I was you.
Les

Last edited:
the non Tesla chargers are less expensive than the competition as well !.
Did you mean the Tesla chargers? I thought that they were cheaper than the others in the UK. They're quite expensive here in Australia, but that may be due to some government installed chargers not reacting to the sharp increase in demand (they still seem to be subsidised).

The response From the dealer...

Thank you for your email and yes can confirm all the bits listed in the previous email have been looked at and OK’d. (i.e. passenger doors opening, 12v battery, seatbelt sockets and electrical connector clips, etc).

I have spoken to my aftersales manager and he has said that the MG5 update for Tesla Superchargers isn’t something we can help with though.

I am not sure what to do next. It is my first EV and I will mainly charge at home (Zappi), so I am not sure how often I will need to use specifically Tesla superchargers (I'd like to have the option rather than missing the opportunity to charge at Tesla).

Well what the aftersales chap has told you is terrible, since if it’s an MG dealer you're buying from they can do an update for Tesla chargers. And he as just put you on a waiting game like many more here including myself.
True there are plenty of other chargers around but the way that many supermarkets etc are about to swamp the country with mainly Tesla V4 units there might not be.
But if you’re happy with that I’m sure you will enjoy the car.
Thanks for asking the question and posting the answer you have been given.
Les

Last edited by a moderator:
Just asking more details and reasons why an official MG dealer cannot carry on this update while the car is still with them for service and updates.
I will keep you posted as I think is important for the community (not necessarily for me - will see)

Just asking more details and reasons why an official MG dealer cannot carry on this update while the car is still with them for service and updates.
I will keep you posted as I think is important for the community (not necessarily for me - will see)
Exactly if they claim to be able to do a service for an MG vehicle they have to be able to do updates.

I have contacted the dealer we got the car from here in Ireland, they are happy to update the EVCC but as ‘there are no red lights on the dash’ they intend to charge a flat rate fee of around €120, less if it’s done during a service.

As Supercharger access would be a ‘nice to have feature’ rather than a necessity, we will pass on the upgrade for now..

I have contacted the dealer we got the car from here in Ireland, they are happy to update the EVCC but as ‘there are no red lights on the dash’ they intend to charge a flat rate fee of around €120, less if it’s done during a service.

As Supercharger access would be a ‘nice to have feature’ rather than a necessity, we will pass on the upgrade for now..
Update from my dealer who is still trying to get a straight answer / confirmation from MG as to which update is needed. She has said she will do any number of updates MG approve for my FL but only charge a flat 30 mins of time.

I am not hopeful MG will make it a recall so this is a pragmatic approach from her I think.

Last edited:
Exactly if they claim to be able to do a service for an MG vehicle they have to be able to do updates.
from the mg aftersale man reply:

"There is no information from MG or update available that is listed as an update to enable Tesla charging.
As part of the sales prep on the vehicle, there was an update available for the CCU (Charging control unit) Which we have updated so it is now on the latest software available.”

I am sure I will be in a situation where the Tesla charger will be the only option available (maybe not) but I am tempted to leave things as they stand and not force the discussion towards something that is not vital for me (atm). Picking it up tomorrow morning :)

"... As part of the sales prep on the vehicle, there was an update available for the CCU (Charging control unit) Which we have updated so it is now on the latest software available.”

... I am tempted to leave things as they stand and not force the discussion towards something that is not vital for me (atm). Picking it up tomorrow morning :)
You may well be in luck, as it seems that it's the CCU firmware that does the trick.

Top marks for your dealer, actually doing the sales prep! And a software update at that!

It seems silly praising them for only doing what is expected, but sadly it seems that these days even that is rare.

"There is no information from MG or update available that is listed as an update to enable Tesla charging.
As part of the sales prep on the vehicle, there was an update available for the CCU (Charging control unit) Which we have updated so it is now on the latest software available.”

I am sure I will be in a situation where the Tesla charger will be the only option available (maybe not) but I am tempted to leave things as they stand and not force the discussion towards something that is not vital for me (atm). Picking it up tomorrow morning :)
You will have to test and let us know. So far the EVCC update has been the one that people report as fixing it.

The issue is how MG are flagging the update.

My dealer said if they search the VIN they only see ones marked as critical but if they connect the car they see all available updates. I am assuming this is correct. They are speaking to MG about which update is needed for the Tesla issue; I hope to hear back soon.

i am interested in getting it for a few reasons.
Open tesla chargers I have seen were cheaper.
A recent road trip open Tesla chargers were free when other [ charger sites ] were in use. Would have saved me time if I could have used those.
I am planning a trip in March and noticed in a remote area I am going through there are only Tesla chargers there.

I think in the end I would like to have the option to use all chargers just in case.

I think that is just a bare faced lie. My dealer said that they had to get specific approval to apply the update for Tesla charging to my MG5. How could they get that approval if MG didn't know which update it was.

Possibly, could also be Left hand doesn't know what Right hand is doing, see it all the time in organisations of all sizes.

I would thank blob84 for his feedback again.

And I totally agree with what Kevin ellard has said as well he knows because his car has been updated
I totally agree with everything said by simorgan42 and have said all but exactly same myself in previous posts way back in this thread.

I too have been given the same information that this is in discussions at MG and also am awaiting the outcome. Very shortly I hope.

For me it is absolutely essential that this issue is sorted out as it is more than obvious there is going to be in the near future a lot more V4 superchargers up and down the country, you might have noticed I have not termed them TESLA, because we know already every charging point operator is looking to install them and put their own name on them.

I also was never told charging my MG5 FL would come with limitations as to where I could charge it and where I couldn’t, l shall repeat myself and say again this is an electric vehicle as should be able in my opinion to be charged anyway at any time whether there is a open public charger available no matter whosoever name is on it.
On that score, I believe MG motors have miss sold us these vehicles and need to put that right.

Some might say, did I ask ask could this car use a Tesla Supercharger when I made my purchase, well no I didn’t but at that time they where available only to Tesla vehicles, but once Tesla announced they where to open they network MG should have checked that they could be used and when it was discovered they couldn’t taken the necessary steps to make that wrong right, for every customer and the owners of each vehicles, and that is what they still need to do.
Les

An update

Apart from the software updates and etc, it seems the dealer wasn’t checking or prepping the car properly. I asked to check the common issue of the front passanger door not opening from inside while servicing and updating.
Guess what? Picked it up this morning and the front passenger door was faulty…(not opening from inside).
I did drive it away with the promise that I will be called on Monday to order the part and schedule the fixing under warranty. I also realised there is an evident stain on the back seats (red! It wasn’t there when I test drove the car last week) and the courtesy light of the sun visor is not working….

Now, I’d like to check if the promised CCU updates were carried out to the latest version or not as I’m becoming suspicious…
How do I check this?

Not a great start 🙁

Hi again blob84 I’m so sorry to hear of your problems today so how you can check the CCU I don’t think you as the owner can but others may know differently.

With the door not opening the car automatically locks the doors when you set off, this is normal and to open the doors you often need to pull twice on the handle inside the car I can’t say this as ever been an known issue on the MG5 it’s just the way it is.

Not to confuse this with a problem the MG4 had.
The MG4 did have issues with people being locked in the vehicle in the very fist batch but a recall was issued by MG to correct that faulty problem but there as been nothing reported on the 5 to my knowledge anyhow.
But as I said the handle needs to be pulled twice to open the door I think the first tug disengages the dead lock and the second tug opens the door lock that’s how it is.
Page 128 of the vehicle handbook is here below hope this helps
Les
IMG_6533.png

Now, I’d like to check if the promised CCU updates were carried out to the latest version or not as I’m becoming suspicious…
How do I check this?
Others have found a phone app that lists most of the ECU version numbers, including the CCU. You just need a phone and a Bluetooth OBD-II dongle. If you don't have one already, just avoid the very cheapest one. I think there was a brand mentioned that is known to work.

Hi again blob84 I’m so sorry to hear of your problems today so how you can check the CCU I don’t think you as the owner can but others may know differently.

With the door not opening the car automatically locks the doors when you set off, this is normal and to open the doors you often need to pull twice on the handle inside the car I can’t say this as ever been an known issue on the MG5 it’s just the way it is.

Not to confuse this with a problem the MG4 had.
The MG4 did have issues with people being locked in the vehicle in the very fist batch but a recall was issued by MG to correct that faulty problem but there as been nothing reported on the 5 to my knowledge anyhow.
But as I said the handle needs to be pulled twice to open the door I think the first tug disengages the dead lock and the second tug opens the door lock that’s how it is.
Page 128 of the vehicle handbook is here below hope this helps
Les
View attachment 23296
Not being able to open the passenger doors was an issue on early MG5 FL. I had to have both mine replaced. There are a few posts on it.

Not to be mixed up with the annoying double pull on the handle if the car is locked. I really dislike this. :-(

So summarising I think we have the follow abbreviations as to what may need to be upgraded to allow Tesla charging. Lol

I hope someone is able to get an official response on this or confirm 100% which is needed soon lol

CCU
BMS
VCU [ Edit: was: ECU ]
EVCC

Well as expected my preface lift 5 still doesn't work on superchargers.
Dealer claimed mine didn't need any updates when it went in Dec, but I'm not convinced they either didn't check for all optional updates or they were telling porkies.

Tesla app just sits there on "Plug in to start"

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom