Tesla Supercharger Issue MG5 LR

According to the post below, it's EV Communications Controller. I don't know how authoritative this is. And it's for the ZS EV.

That would certainly make sense as the problem seems to be communication with the Tesla SCs.

- Was linked on another forum, seems it's not just tesla superchargers.

I used one of those at Calais on 4th January!! No issues, but in addition to Tesla, I cannot use one type of EDP unit in Portugal too for the same reason.

I have written a stroppy email to MG and will escalate.

Is it time that we as a group got together & did a group action against MG? I'm sure they'd hate bad publicity!

I've just spoken to my dealership to book my pre-facelift 5 in for its second service. (It's not happening until March but I wanted to book it in now since I know the dealership is very short of technicians! My wife has an MG3 and had to wait almost two months beyond the official date for her car's first service because the garage simply couldn't offer anything earlier.)

I mentioned to the service manager about the update to resolve the problem in this thread and his perfectly reasonable response was that they wouldn't consider doing ANY updates unless MG had specifically alerted them to the need for one or more. They'd had experience in the past of installing updates which MG had not categorically listed and, if/when anything went wrong (and the car was "in the workshop" for several months) MG UK would, in effect, wash their hands of the problem and ask the garage "Why did you attempt to install this 'update?'"

Last edited:
I've just spoken to my dealership to book my pre-facelift 5 in for its second service. (It's not happening until March but I wanted to book it in now since I know the dealership is very short of technicians! My wife has an MG3 and had to wait almost two months beyond the official date for her car's first service because the garage simply couldn't offer anything earlier.)

I mentioned to the service manager about the update to resolve the problem in this thread and his perfectly reasonable response was that they wouldn't consider doing ANY updates unless MG had specifically alerted them to the need for one or more. They'd had experience in the past of installing updates which MG had not categorically listed and, if/when anything went wrong (and the car was "in the workshop" for several months) MG UK would, in effect, wash their hands of the problem and ask the garage "Why did you attempt to install this 'update?'"
Me dealer said something similar but their approach was to contact MG to get specific approval to install the update. Because MG doesn't currently consider it to be a recall item I don't think that they would instigate the process.

Hi had almost the very same message from my dealer but they said they while speak with MG and come back to me.
You say above pre facelifted MG5 is that long or standard range model ?
Les

I used one of those at Calais on 4th January!! No issues, but in addition to Tesla, I cannot use one type of EDP unit in Portugal too for the same reason.

I have written a stroppy email to MG and will escalate.

Is it time that we as a group got together & did a group action against MG? I'm sure they'd hate bad publicity!
Well I for one don’t agree that would be the right thing to do or the right path to go down.

Yes it is very true MG Motors would not want that bad publicity, and it would do them no good it would also not do the dealerships any good either, nor us and Very Importantly the owners of vehicles.
That have been supplied to us by them, that cannot be used at all charging station open for anyone as anywhere we travel.

We know there is a fix available as it has been applied to one members car already in regard to Tesla charging, MG motors need to approve that fix to be applied by all dealers and this must be done at no cost to the owners of these vehicles or there dealers, so it requires a recall to be issued and spreading bad publicity about the cars is not the way to do it IMHO.

I have been told by my dealer they have asked for approval from MG to apply this fix to my car and I suggest all owners should ask the own dealers to do the same, I know some have already and I'm confident this approach is better than the media.

EVs in general have had enough bad publicity in recent times, and the secondhand values I think show that at present, and futher bad press will only make matters worse.

Yes I want my car sorting out ASAP and I have said here previously if it’s not there are channels and bodies to complain to just as was done with other issues in the past with MG vehicles.

So let’s not shoot our selves in the foot.

I’m convinced if enough owners complain to their dealers and the dealers in turn address the matter with MG Uk they will have no choice but to do something to retain if not save their business model here.
Les.

I am working with MG customer service and my dealer, I will continue to do so until resolved or I give up & change car.

Whilst I agree going nuclear with newspapers is a bad idea, why is working together as a group a bad idea?

I am working with MG customer service and my dealer, I will continue to do so until resolved or I give up & change car.

Whilst I agree going nuclear with newspapers is a bad idea, why is working together as a group a bad idea?
Hi Evsince 2016
It’s not a bad idea, but in affect that’s is what we are doing, if enough owners lodge a strong complaint with there respective dealers and they then turn to MG for help which they should do, that’s about the best way forward for the moment in my eyes, creating a stink in the press will only down grade EVs further and reduce there values and uptake still more.

In many respects we here know the good points to EV ownership and many of the downsides as well.
And these need to be address by the manufacturers and that’s not just MG Motors but of course here that is a major concern.

Don’t know if anybody saw the ITN news bulletin at 13:30 today but they reported the recovery services are complaining about the amount of call outs they are receiving due to the cold weather and drivers running out of battery.
I wonder how many might have used a Supercharger if they could have, or more sensibly checked and confirmed they had enough battery before setting off or even monitored they consumption on there journey.

There a saying in the EV world which goes something like charge up when you can not when you need to or desperate to do so.
I agree with that.
Les

I love those ancient revered sayings, handed down through the mists of time - or at least through the exhaust smog of our old ice machines 😷

Last edited by a moderator:
There a saying in the EV world which goes something like charge up when you can not when you need to or desperate to do so.
I think I've only let mine drop under 30% charged once . I was reading in another EV Forum ( Hyundai ) a guy complaining that his EV was losing power at 6% ..in Norway..in winter ....mental :eek:

Hi,
I'm new here, picking up my FL MG5 2023 ex-demo on Saturday and the dealer is going to carry on the service. Should I ask now to check if my car has got this update and/or push this to be done?
Thanks!

Hi,
I'm new here, picking up my FL MG5 2023 ex-demo on Saturday and the dealer is going to carry on the service. Should I ask now to check if my car has got this update and/or push this to be done?
Thanks!
I would ask him to confirm all software is up-to-date. He is more likely to do this do for free as you are just getting the car.

I would ask him to confirm all software is up-to-date. He is more likely to do this do for free as you are just getting the car.
Don't just ask if it is up to date. Mg consider the Tesla update to be optional (and chargeable). If you ask "is the software up to date?" They will say yes wether or not the Tesla update has been done.

I have also charged up to the 80's but at the moment I'm only getting around 45 at Gridserve and MFG. Maybe it's just the cold weather. I'm also still pursuing the Tesla charging issue with MG UK - no response so far.
Even if it is not regarded as a safety issue Tesla are rolling out V4 chargers and Sainsburys are planning a network of chargers at their supermarkets using Tesla V4 chargers which could rival or exceed the size of tesla's network. Also MFG changing to Tesla V4. So will be missing out on maybe more than 50% of UK chargers.

I have also charged up to the 80's but at the moment I'm only getting around 45 at Gridserve and MFG. Maybe it's just the cold weather. I'm also still pursuing the Tesla charging issue with MG UK - no response so far.
Even if it is not regarded as a safety issue Tesla are rolling out V4 chargers and Sainsburys are planning a network of chargers at their supermarkets using Tesla V4 chargers which could rival or exceed the size of tesla's network. Also MFG changing to Tesla V4. So will be missing out on maybe more than 50% of UK chargers.
It’s worth mentioning that the suitable non Tesla chargers are less expensive than the competition as well.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom