Tesla Supercharger Issue MG5 LR

Mine was done via Glyn Hopkin Chelmsford. Mind you, I don't think they were aware what the update was or that it affected this issue. It appears to be an update issued late January

I had a service about a month ago. I then went back in last week armed with the screenshot from here about the updates. 2 updates available so booked in Friday. Not sure why they weren't done at a service but hey

I had a service about a month ago. I then went back in last week armed with the screenshot from here about the updates. 2 updates available so booked in Friday. Not sure why they weren't done at a service but hey
Which dealer please?

It might be useful if people could share which dealers they've successfully had the required update applied via. I wasn't getting very far with Luscombe's in Leeds when I was last trying to get the update confirmed in the autumn.
Mine was Baylis, Gloucester.

I had the first service and the updates done on Friday 23rd by MG Beaconsfield.
Both MPU and MCU were updated.
MPU - new version 1300R17
MCU - new version 83.3.50
The service manager informed me that MG issued a sw package update and instructed them to apply all of them. Apparently includes EVCC, BMS and the infotainment system.

End result is that the charging is working at Tesla superchargers. I tested it the same day at the new chargers in Luton.

I had the first service and the updates done on Friday 23rd by MG Beaconsfield.
Both MPU and MCU were updated.
MPU - new version 1300R17
MCU - new version 83.3.50
The service manager informed me that MG issued a sw package update and instructed them to apply all of them. Apparently includes EVCC, BMS and the infotainment system.

End result is that the charging is working at Tesla superchargers. I tested it the same day at the new chargers in Luton.
Is your car the facelift or prefacelift?

Has anyone been successful with a MG5 pre FL? Is it available for that car?

That is the question to which I, too, would very much like the answer. Especially since mine is having its second service in just over two weeks time and I would like to have the evidence to "convince" my dealer's service department that an update to it is needed.

Yes I have a pre FL MG5 LR so it should be ok. Let's hope Dees of Croydon cooperate.
Thanks Les for the info.
Peter

My dealer has said they have not received any message from MG UK. Is anyone able to share this message?

@slmorgan42

Have a read of posts 471 and 472 earlier in this current thread. I think that is where the original "information" was first published to members of this forum. (I've actually printed off the content of those two posts to show to my dealer, just in case!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am booked in for the 2 April to get mine done. Dealer still trying to find any comms from MG regarding it.

Anyone else’s had theirs done at no charge?

Apparently yes for the LR car some here done recently not sure about the SR versions
But don’t think that can.
Les
I have an original SR MG5 and have been trying to get the software defect to be fixed under warranty. I can not see any exemption for software defects in the warranty terms. My dealer has checked the car for updates which they agreed to do free of charge. They found that it needs an update to the EVCC but MG UK claim it is an enhancement and not covered by the warranty. This is their response:

"Some software changes are due to a recognised fault int the system others are present as a quality enhancement and would be installed at the request of the customer under these circumstances as it is not essential to the performance and operation of the car the dealer will normally ask you to cover the time for the technician to install the updated software."

MGUK do not have a technical department so all technical questions have to be forwarded to MG in China which I don't find very comforting.

I am not willing to pay for what I consider a warranty item even though my dealer has offered me a discount and been very helpful. So no Tesla chargers for me and next car will not be an MG!

Hi deej19 that’s is a shame but as I said earlier I think it the SR car was never capable of accepting the updates for Tesla but your dealer should be able to look into that for you if you decide to go for it if it can, if as you say you have a discount I would go for it myself but I know it’s only the LR that is being done at the moment for free because they should have always been able to use Tesla.
Les

Just booked mine in for its second service and the dealer has had no notification of any software updates for my model (pre-facelift MG5, registered 22). It's disappointing, but about what I expected.

Mine goes in for its second service next week and I know, following some slight "pressure" from me (and the fact I am a long-time client of the particular dealership), that the workshop manager has been "researching" this with MG to ensure that "everything is up to date" on the car.

The "pressure" was me referring the manager to the posts earlier in this thread (where members report what they had been told, either directly by MG or by their dealership) and "asking" that he "contact MG"

My understanding of this specific issue of Tesla Superchargers is that MGUK consider the upgrade to be "optional", so not "required" and thus not something for a "recall". As others have pointed out, this seems remarkably short-sighted!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom