Tesla Supercharger Issue MG5 LR

Thank you for sharing Gomev. That is indeed disappointing. I've got my annual service at Luscombe's in a few weeks and have specifically asked for the update. Initially told there were 'no updates' for my car but then actually shared some posts on here (including yours) and then they said it would be done after 'checking with their technicians'.

Lets see - mine is a FL 2023 reg MG5 so definitely know the EVCC is compatible.

Will update my experience. It's exasperating how inconsistent people's experiences are with this.
For reference my FL was updated with no issues and no cost.

Cheers. I'm convinced of two things at least, the 'update' for FL 5s to charge at Tesla sites is out there and does address the issues. I'm less sure how evenly it is understood and handled by the different dealers 🤷🏻‍♂️
To be fair Chiswick have been great to work with. I did buy the car from them. When I called they said they had not heard of the update but normally when they plug the car in the system tells them what updates are required.

They did say there was a few other updates that were optional already on their computer system. They said they would check with me first but if there was any mandatory updates they would do all the others no charge under this. If not they said they would charge £90 to do any updates they could find.

In the end they did it for free as the Tesla one popped up.

I think that one of our biggest problems is that the MG dealer 'network' are franchises rather than dealers... my local, Richmond, is Hyundai, Skoda and Suzuki dealer as well as MG and to that end are 'jack of all trades' as far as servicing and after sales.... whilst I'm unlikely to be changing from my 5LR, due to age and so on, I certainly shan't be recommending others buy what is a pretty good car in all respects, as the manufacturer and dealer support isn't there.

poor show all round as far as I can see...

A tactic by MG to save costs by putting people off either by potential cost of EVCC replacement or fear of losing warranty when opting for a comfort upgrade
But the update doesn't cost MG anything. It is the dealer that is carrying the cost of the workshop time.

But the update doesn't cost MG anything. It is the dealer that is carrying the cost of the workshop time.
Which they can claim back from MG for warranty work. That is what MG are trying to save en masse if everyone asked for the update...

Which they can claim back from MG for warranty work. That is what MG are trying to save en masse if everyone asked for the update...
But the evcc update has never been warranty work. Mine was done by my dealer as a good faith gesture during its first service.(My opinion is that it definitely should have been a warranty issue)

But the evcc update has never been warranty work. Mine was done by my dealer as a good faith gesture during its first service.(My opinion is that it definitely should have been a warranty issue)
For my FL update the dealer said it was covered under warranty and they could claim it back.

You probably need to re-read a few more recent posts things seem to have changed from MGs perspective. You might also want to watch the podcast where Miles and Les talk it through (from about 58 minutes in)

Last edited:
I think that one of our biggest problems is that the MG dealer 'network' are franchises rather than dealers... my local, Richmond, is Hyundai, Skoda and Suzuki dealer as well as MG and to that end are 'jack of all trades' as far as servicing and after sales.... whilst I'm unlikely to be changing from my 5LR, due to age and so on, I certainly shan't be recommending others buy what is a pretty good car in all respects, as the manufacturer and dealer support isn't there.

poor show all round as far as I can see...
I totally agree with you on that Jackois franchise or not dealers they buy and sell anything the think they can make a living out of but when things go wrong they should have better help available from manufacturers of what ever they retail and in this case MG motors are not giving much help.
Les

Last edited:
My 2p from what I understand reading here and speaking to dealer:

It seems like MG UK are keeping to just two groups of owners:
FL - Update under warranty FOC
PFL - Change of hardware and updates applied. Not covered under warranty, costs borne by owner.

In reality there seems to me to be three groups:
PFL LR - should work with update and no hardware change - not covered by warranty and dealers may charge for workshop time ~£90. Some are not charging extra if done during a standard service time.
PFL SR - change of EVCC required and software update - not covered by warranty and costs borne by owner. Potentially in the range of £800- £1k.

If the dealer is knowledgeable they seem to be applying reality, if they don't have the depth of knowledge they follow the guide from MG UK.

What I might do after my summer trip is find a dealer willing to do the Tesla update on my LR.

Worst case if it fails is an EVCC unit, not a lost car.

My 2p from what I understand reading here and speaking to dealer:

It seems like MG UK are keeping to just two groups of owners:
PFL - Change of hardware and updates applied. Not covered under warranty, costs borne by owner.

In reality there seems to me to be three groups:
PFL LR - should work with update and no hardware change - not covered by warranty and dealers may charge for workshop time ~£90. Some are not charging extra if done during a standard service time.
PFL SR - change of EVCC required and software update - not covered by warranty and costs borne by owner. Potentially in the range of £800- £1k.

If the dealer is knowledgeable they seem to be applying reality, if they don't have the depth of knowledge they follow the guide from MG UK.
Tips you got it in one👍 after MG Uk had a change of plan.
Les

Hi, just wondering if any one can help, I have a mg5ev 2022 & tesla have opened up a site near me to all cars, I went there & it it won't work on my car, the tesla app says no car detected, can any one help ?? Thank you

@ryder

From another of your posts I see you have a 2022 MG5 Excite, so pre-facelift, but is it the LR (Long Range) version? I suspect it is because I believe the SR (Standard Range) was no longer available in 2022.

If it is the LR variant you really need to read the whole of this thread, sorry! You need to approach your dealer and ask that they carry out the update/upgrade to allow your car to charge on the Tesla Open Network (not all Tesla chargers are "open" to non-Tesla vehicles).

Some of us have been lucky enough to have the update done free of charge, though in my case I have yet to test whether it "works" since there are no Tesla Open Network chargers anywhere near where I live!

Others have been "invited" to pay for the update and it now seems that MG are stating that both hardware and software changes are required, at a cost of up to £1k! (In my case, no hardware was changed but ...)

OTOH, if your car is the SR variant, the general view in the forums is that it cannot be "updated" to use any Tesla chargers,

emmrecs thank you for your excellent reply above to Ryder bang on.
Les

Ryder after you have read the above your only way forward is to speak to your MG dealer or try several one should hopefully help you
Les

So sad I’ve really loved my two MGs but . . . ??
My plan all along was to keep this until 6 years old, should be about 35k miles by then - and likely the soon to be revised model Y (or possibly Polestar) will be 3 years old and loads coming off lease deals to pick up for £20k. Unless there is an evolutionary upgrade to EV tech in the meantime 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom