Tow bar

I emailed Witter again yesterday and this was their response.
Hello,

We do have the towbar available for this vehicle but we do not have the electrics however if you do go to a fitting centre near you they may be able to source these electrics for you then get the bar from us.

Thank you,

With kind regards
Seren Smallwood
| Automotive Aftermarket Europe
T 01244 457622
[email protected]

Witter Towbars
Zone 2 | Sixth Avenue | Deeside Ind Park | Deeside | CH5 2LB
witter-towbars.co.uk
The towbar is not the problem, it's the loom. Looms are available with the required LED/incandescent adaptor BUT as it won't be OEM there will be warranty problems as you are cutting into the car's loom. It seems to me that we all need to badger our MG4 EV dealer to let MG know there is a demand out here for an OEM loom.

That was strange, my 10 day old MG4 Luxury have a witter towbar with the electric loom from ECS Electronics B.V. whom clearly was delivered to the dealer (in Ålesund Norway) together with the towbar.
The canbus loom is conected to the MG canbus plug over the rear whel and one cabel to the fusebox for permanent power (+30).
There are no cutting in to the cars loom, just plug it into the canbus plug and plug it into the fusebox.

Last edited:
Here in France MG will fit a tow bar for around €1400. Sounds a lot, but I notice Volvo quotes a similar amount for the EX30 (€1200). In principle you can get one for about a third of the price from popular car outfitter Norauto – in practice, they’ve told me they don’t have the facilities yet (even though their website suggests they have). Clearly a tricky area. However, I was delighted to learn that Thule do supply roof bars (from another forum thread).

Apols for the delay

A few pics of towbar & bike rack.

Drove up to the lakes this weekend ~ 250miles in pretty bad weather. Averaged 3.4m/kwh, which is pretty much what I've been getting last few months for motorway driving, so doesn't seem to be having a significant impact on range.

Will
Which brand and type of bike rack is this? EU removable town bar on MG4 can only have 50 kg top Wright, so a bike carrier should belicht if you want to curry 2 bikes

Here in France MG will fit a tow bar for around €1400. Sounds a lot, but I notice Volvo quotes a similar amount for the EX30 (€1200). In principle you can get one for about a third of the price from popular car outfitter Norauto – in practice, they’ve told me they don’t have the facilities yet (even though their website suggests they have). Clearly a tricky area. However, I was delighted to learn that Thule do supply roof bars (from another forum thread).
Thule do indeed supply roof bars

Just a shame that MG UK have yet to 'approve' the use if the Roof - Seems daft to me that Europe have approved yet UK still have not ...

Which brand and type of bike rack is this? EU removable town bar on MG4 can only have 50 kg top Wright, so a bike carrier should belicht if you want to curry 2 bikes

I ahve one of these (although didn't pay anyhting like that moiney for it!)
Amazon product ASIN B001M0KYAI
12kg, which leaves 38kg for the bikes. Our road bikes are <10kg each.

I have that same Atera tow bar mounted bike carrier. Done over 1500 miles with it on the back so far, through France, Belgium, Holland, Denmark. Total weight of bikes and carrier a shade over 50Kgs. No problems at all. And averaging 3.6kwh/mile in June. Driving a cruise control top speed of 60mph on these lovely motorways. (Btw, I've only seen, and missed, 2 potholes so far).

Hi guys and gals, I have been waiting for a tow bar for some time and the other night I randomly typed MG4 tow bar into ebay and believe it or not a company called pf jones from the Manchester area had a witter bar listed at £370 so I promptly ordered it and it arrived yesterday. Its a very sturdy bar and it weighed in at 29kg. I have spent today fitting it, which went very well. but now its the difficult job the dreaded wiring. has anyone tried doing the wiring or has everyone with a tow bar had them professionally fitted ? I spotted in the notes with the bar that a bypass relay was reqd. a ZR2500. so I have ordered one of these at the cost of £30. So my question is any advice on fitting this relay to an MG4 is there a specific outlet plug or do you do it the old fashioned way and splice into the loom. your thoughts gratefully welcomed. cheers Dave.

Hi guys and gals, I have been waiting for a tow bar for some time and the other night I randomly typed MG4 tow bar into ebay and believe it or not a company called pf jones from the Manchester area had a witter bar listed at £370 so I promptly ordered it and it arrived yesterday. Its a very sturdy bar and it weighed in at 29kg. I have spent today fitting it, which went very well. but now its the difficult job the dreaded wiring. has anyone tried doing the wiring or has everyone with a tow bar had them professionally fitted ? I spotted in the notes with the bar that a bypass relay was reqd. a ZR2500. so I have ordered one of these at the cost of £30. So my question is any advice on fitting this relay to an MG4 is there a specific outlet plug or do you do it the old fashioned way and splice into the loom. your thoughts gratefully welcomed. cheers Dave.
Hi @Davecut1 I see it’s some time on, and I’ve just ordered a new MG4 (standard). I need a towbar, and also spotted that PF Jones have this bar listed. However - They won’t quote me until I get the car and can give the plate details, so is there a way around this? Can you elaborate on what I’d need as a full kit? How much did it cost in the end? I have a friendly mechanic prepared to fit at a reasonable rate, but was it a mare to fit? Also, is there any way to do this without cutting holes? Any help on this is appreciated while I wait for the car to arrive. Thanks in advance!

Hi @Davecut1 I see it’s some time on, and I’ve just ordered a new MG4 (standard). I need a towbar, and also spotted that PF Jones have this bar listed. However - They won’t quote me until I get the car and can give the plate details, so is there a way around this? Can you elaborate on what I’d need as a full kit? How much did it cost in the end? I have a friendly mechanic prepared to fit at a reasonable rate, but was it a mare to fit? Also, is there any way to do this without cutting holes? Any help on this is appreciated while I wait for the car to arrive. Thanks in advance!
Hi Ian, I can give you the benefit of my experience. I bought my towbar on ebay and I think it was the supplier you mentioned. Now just to let you know I am a fairly competent mechanic, but I found fitting the bar quite easy as far as the mechanical side is concerned. I can talk you through it if you need. I can't remember supplying any details of my car and don't think they have changed as far as construction is concerned. The only cutting is the black trim panel underneath. Now just to warn you I still haven't sorted the electrics yet. I fitted a relay that had been mentioned in an earlier post it was called something like a zr2500 but it didn't work and I am giving it another shot in the summer. All that being said as long as your confident with the spanners then go for it. Dave.

Hi Ian, I can give you the benefit of my experience. I bought my towbar on ebay and I think it was the supplier you mentioned. Now just to let you know I am a fairly competent mechanic, but I found fitting the bar quite easy as far as the mechanical side is concerned. I can talk you through it if you need. I can't remember supplying any details of my car and don't think they have changed as far as construction is concerned. The only cutting is the black trim panel underneath. Now just to warn you I still haven't sorted the electrics yet. I fitted a relay that had been mentioned in an earlier post it was called something like a zr2500 but it didn't work and I am giving it another shot in the summer. All that being said as long as your confident with the spanners then go for it. Dave.
Thanks @Davecut1 - I've just called PF Jones to talk this through. Pretty sure i got the "couldn't be arsed" Friday boy (Cameron) as he was the most unhelpful person I've spoken to for months! He wouldn't give any quote detail unless I sent him a photo of my own cars actual VIN, so he can see the weights. Mine's on order so a way off yet, so I sent him the vehicle specs but apparently that's not good enough, I then sent him the tow rating (500kg) that wasn't good enough either. He said I'd sue him if he sold me the wrong bar so wont quote me without the actual car plate....(ironic as there are so few choices its probably difficult to get wrong.) This leaves me guessing, based on there website. They have a Brink option listed & shown at £279, which is really reasonable & as I'm literally only ever sticking on a small box trailer for the tip run, or dragging a small 70kg dinghy, I only have a basic lights board to power, so I'm assuming I'd only need a simple 7 pin kit? But - do I then need one of the electric adapters they also list? These are listed as: 13 to 7 pin, 7 to 13 pin, 13 to twin or twin to 13? (i don't think i need any these?), and finally, they offer an "led circuit tester" - but do i really need one - is that literally just a tester in case you need one for a rainy day? I kind of wanted to try to get everything I'll need in place for when the car arrives in around April, and then hand it over to my local fitter to crack on with. (here's hoping though!) TIA!

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
So - excuse the ignorance, but what exactly am i getting that quantifies the massive difference between £279 & £956?

So - excuse the ignorance, but what exactly am i getting that quantifies the massive difference between £279 & £956?
No idea, but a quick search shows, both are witter, £279 (via PF Jones), is the base price, but electrics are needed (£60) + coding (£70) + Fitting (£290 via PF Jones) , and then 20% VAT - £956 is fully fitted from Witter themselves via a mobile fitter.

Yes, there's a whole electrics module needed to get the MG4 to talk to the tow bar. Other people have said around £1000 all in.
Well I've just got a quote fitted at home:-
Thank you for your interest.

All inclusive estimated total cost for supply and fit is: £569.67 (inc. VAT)​

:):)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member