Tow bar

Apols for the delay

A few pics of towbar & bike rack.

Drove up to the lakes this weekend ~ 250miles in pretty bad weather. Averaged 3.4m/kwh, which is pretty much what I've been getting last few months for motorway driving, so doesn't seem to be having a significant impact on range.

Will
Thanks for the pictures WIll, great to see one fitted so it's actually happening :) Is your fitter able to give an idea of when others will be able to order one?

did you use a generic elec pack?
It was the test car for the Mg4 specific elec kit.
Thanks for the pictures WIll, great to see one fitted so it's actually happening :) Is your fitter able to give an idea of when others will be able to order one?
AIUI - waiting for manufacture of the elec kit, then will be available via Witter - I think you're best bet is asking Witter for their estimate of availability

It was the test car for the Mg4 specific elec kit.

AIUI - waiting for manufacture of the elec kit, then will be available via Witter - I think you're best bet is asking Witter for their estimate of availability
Cheers, I've messaged them a few times and no reply to either message. I guess they are sick of people asking. Guess it's just the waiting game now, hopefully not too long. Getting the bikes on for summer would be handy.

MG4 after-market tow bar and dedicated wiring loom are still under development. Having said that, I understand the MG4 tow bars are now available in the UK through Witter.

You will definitely need the approved dedicated wiring fitting on the MG4.

Do I need a dedicated wiring loom, if all I want to use the tow bar for is a bike carrier?
Yes I’m pretty sure it’s a legal requirement to have the lights at the back of the car or in this case the extended car.
I had a Thule carry frame ( my “shelf”) on my Citroen Berlingo which had the tail lights and indicators fairly high up the rear corners of the vehicle. It’s surprising how easily you can obscure those lights with any sport of load.
DB1FE338-19CC-4454-B7A9-97FEC090AA07.jpeg
895DAF62-7759-4057-9FA0-937373EC96E8.jpeg

Sorry, I wasn't very clear with my question: I wasn't asking if I needed lights on my tow bar mounted bike carrier. (Yes, obviously I do). I was meaning, do I need the dedicated wiring loom that MG, or others, are designing and isn't yet available. Could I use a generic one that doesn't necessarily feedback info to the car to turn off the reversing camera and stuff. I'm not towing a trailer, just a bike carrier.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear with my question: I wasn't asking if I needed lights on my tow bar mounted bike carrier. (Yes, obviously I do). I was meaning, do I need the dedicated wiring loom that MG, or others, are designing and isn't yet available. Could I use a generic one that doesn't necessarily feedback info to the car to turn off the reversing camera and stuff. I'm not towing a trailer, just a bike carrier.
You will need one that is likely to need to be canbus suitable. Unlike older cars where you could splice into each circuit you can’t on vehicles with Canbus, add to this that a dedicated/ vehicle specific loom makes fitting so much simpler and often is direct plug rather than connecting all wires with the exception of ground and a fused positive feed to me it’s just a waiting game for someone to make the right box of tricks and loom then I’ll be fitting a tow bar.

You will need one that is likely to need to be canbus suitable. Unlike older cars where you could splice into each circuit you can’t on vehicles with Canbus, add to this that a dedicated/ vehicle specific loom makes fitting so much simpler and often is direct plug rather than connecting all wires with the exception of ground and a fused positive feed to me it’s just a waiting game for someone to make the right box of tricks and loom then I’ll be fitting a tow bar.
I've contacted several fitters and they say the same but there is no eta or anything for when the wiring will be available and they said to keep checking back every month. Pretty frustrating to be honest as I can see this dragging on for a long time now.

I.m late to the party but does anyone know if there is a recommended tow bar for the MG 4 EV yet. I saw earlier on in this thread that someone thought there might be one by Jan 2023 - and it is now May (well tomorrow!)

I.m late to the party but does anyone know if there is a recommended tow bar for the MG 4 EV yet. I saw earlier on in this thread that someone thought there might be one by Jan 2023 - and it is now May (well tomorrow!)
You can get a Witter tow bar for the MG4. There are people that have had them installed.

As I see it witter has developed the bar and has fitted it to one test car. But the electrics are still being developed. They contacted me last week and told me to get in touch in 6-8 weeks.

As I see it witter has developed the bar and has fitted it to one test car. But the electrics are still being developed. They contacted me last week and told me to get in touch in 6-8 weeks.
On Facebook someone has had one fitted by Derbyshire towbars . Posted pictures , I tried to put the link on here for you but it said the post could not be shown. This is at least the second one I've seen so you can get it done via towbar dealers.

I too have joined the MG4 got a towbar club. Fitted yesterday by Derbyshire towbars near Chesterfield. £625. Detachable. Its simple enough to attach and detach, but you will want your old gear on as its very low down and a bit underneath the back end of the car. Just ordered a new spare numberplate for my bike rack. Interestingly, this bumper length bit of steel was taken off the car to fit the towbar. No idea why! The finished result leaves very little clue that a towbar fitting is there. The rectangular cutaway was left quite rough aroud the edges so I just filed that smooth to avoid catching my hand on the sharp edges when attaching the neck. While I was under there I didn't spot any oil leak. :) When towing you just simply go into the driving settings on the infotainment screen and set it for "towing". I guess this disables the reversing sensors or something clever.
IMG_20230512_121506.jpg
IMG_20230512_121622.jpg
IMG_20230512_122113.jpg
IMG_20230512_121940.jpg

Interestingly, this bumper length bit of steel was taken off the car to fit the towbar. No idea why! View attachment 17467
Thats pretty standard, I had exactly the same when I fitted a towbar to our SQ5. It's the crash structure. The towbar will have a replacement section very similar which is how it securely/structurally attaches to the car.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 484 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back