TPMS issue post tyre renewal

ArfurM

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi Folks,

I wonder if any technical gurus out there can suggest a fix? I had the tyres replaced yesterday at Costco, everything good, I checked the TPMS before I left the site, all four tyres registered and pressures displayed, but then, after about 25 miles, the TPMS warning went off, and I now have this on the nearside rear:

TPMS.jpg

..Is there a connector or summat that's come loose that I can plug back in? I had a quick look and couldn't see anything. The manual says "take it it the dealer", but really, if it was working, and now isn't, it kinda implies something just come loose...

Answers on a postcard.... :)

Lock it up for 10 minutes then go for another drive for it to calibrate.
What tyres did you get?
I agree with that it might work, and of course there is always the 12volt disconnect, shouldn’t need to but it has been known to fix a lot of issues in the past so who knows might sort this as well, but I would definitely try Jomarkh suggestion first to save getting the 10mm spanner out.
Les

Cheers folks, it was parked overnight, and my bird went to work in it this morning, so maybe by the time she comes back it'll have sorting itself out...

Ahh, tyres... I selected the Duke Ferdinand-Grand Godolphin Ruberoid 7's:

1664452644555.png

...No.... Wait... My bad, I got Michelin Primacy 4's:
1664452959732.png

....on the basis the they were rated "A" for efficiency and wet grip, and had lower noise that the Bridgestone Ecopias. I was going to get Michelin Crossclimate 2's, having had them before and been very happy with them, but on balance the better wet grip of the Primacy's won out, as most of the time winters are just wet, and if it does snow, I try to avoid driving anywhere

One heck of a coincidence that you had the tyres changed which involves taking them past the TPMS sensor then the same day the sensor goes wrong.
My guess is that they knocked the sensor off of the valve stem, that it continued to work until a number of cycles of the wheel turning slowly and it tumbling around the tyre (it would have been ok at speed or static) caused it to stop working.
Jack up the N/S rear and slowly turn the wheel and listen for something rattling. Note that you'll need the car on to be able to turn against the handbrake. Alternatively try getting someone to move the car very slowly while walking alongside it, obviously on a stable surface not loose gravel.

Well smokie according to his picture 13414 Miles covered I did think that myself but forgot to ask not a lot is it I have done 17000 plus and all are like new.
Les
Yup, fronts were shagged, well into the wear bars; the rears had a bit more life, but TBH they would have only lasted 4-5 months on the front If I'd swapped them around, so got the whole set done. I felt the OEM tyres grip was a bit "Meh" so hopefully the Michelins will be better, they're supposed to have a longer lasting compound as well..

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom