Trying to decide between Ohme and Zappi home chargers for MG5

Just found out we're likely on a looped service. Anyone got any advice on what to do in order to get a charger installed under these circumstances?

Just found out we're likely on a looped service. Anyone got any advice on what to do in order to get a charger installed under these circumstances?
I have a looped supply, with an electric cooker and shower the electrician wouldn't fit a dedicated charge point.
The other option, which i suggested, was to fit a cee socket(commando socket).
As it is a use as required fitting rather than a dedicated charger point they were ok with this.

I bought a zencar charger, looks like the granny charger in shape, and it has the option to vary the ampage manually.

I tend to charge once i get back from work and the house is empty, no chance of me trying to multi task a shower, a charge and cooking.
Or if i need a longer charge i do it after tea.

I don't have a smart meter yet so tried it out with a current test clamp, double oven part on no rings turned on and the charger on and it drew 58 amps.
Along with the other always on items in the house.

So whilst i could theoretically have a shower as well it would need to be in the dark:oops:.
Alternatively i can choose from 6A, 10A, 16A, 20A and finally 32A.
So i could just opt for a long slow charge of one of the above and have no restrictions as such.

It does have a delay charge feature, 2/4/6 hour delay, but has no time charge or stop feature so to speak.

Works for me as I'm not on an octopus tariff.. yet.
It also has a 7/8m cable, can't remember which.

I have a looped supply, with an electric cooker and shower the electrician wouldn't fit a dedicated charge point.
The other option, which i suggested, was to fit a cee socket(commando socket).
As it is a use as required fitting rather than a dedicated charger point they were ok with this.

I bought a zencar charger, looks like the granny charger in shape, and it has the option to vary the ampage manually.

I tend to charge once i get back from work and the house is empty, no chance of me trying to multi task a shower, a charge and cooking.
Or if i need a longer charge i do it after tea.

I don't have a smart meter yet so tried it out with a current test clamp, double oven part on no rings turned on and the charger on and it drew 58 amps.
Along with the other always on items in the house.

So whilst i could theoretically have a shower as well it would need to be in the dark:oops:.
Alternatively i can choose from 6A, 10A, 16A, 20A and finally 32A.
So i could just opt for a long slow charge of one of the above and have no restrictions as such.

It does have a delay charge feature, 2/4/6 hour delay, but has no time charge or stop feature so to speak.

Works for me as I'm not on an octopus tariff.. yet.
It also has a 7/8m cable, can't remember which.
What is a looped supply? Does it mean that you can’t fit a conventional 7kw wall box?

What is a looped supply? Does it mean that you can’t fit a conventional 7kw wall box?
A looped supply is basically where one house has a direct connection to the power cable that runs up the street, and your neighbor rather than also having a direct connection actually has a cable coming out of your connection. Which limits how much you can pull at any one time.

Someone else will be able to explain it far better than me

A looped supply is basically where one house has a direct connection to the power cable that runs up the street, and your neighbor rather than also having a direct connection actually has a cable coming out of your connection. Which limits how much you can pull at any one time.

Someone else will be able to explain it far better than me
From all I've seen so far you can't (or are not supposed to) have a EV charger on a looped supply so it needs to be unlooped(?)

Which may involve having your or your neighbors driveway dug up

That‘s a shame. Thanks for explaining.

The way i look at it is, if i can run my cooker for hours cooking a roast- and have a shower at the same time - then i can charge my car for a few hours when nothing else is running.
As its just me and the wife at home then i can reasonably estimate the usage at any one time.
I also have a current test clamp to confirm any heavier usage that may occur.

If i don't post again you'll know why my pc won't start.

I will probably be ok and you know what is in use but the installer will not want to take that chance so will want it unlooped.

You are probably looking at the right thing:

It's a cable incorporating a charger that plugs into a commando socket or dumb type 2 charge point.
Not a solution I would go for.
Why not? The Commando version is exactly the same as the hard wired one, just with a plug on the end.

This loop supply is causing me some worry, have just checked and we’re in a loop with the neighbour but we’re the first part of that makes any difference.
My other concern is we are an economy 7 house (not sure about the neighbour but will ask) which means we have a big storage radiator and a hot water tank.
We’re about to have a smart meter installed and will then switch to Octopus Go.
Even if our neighbour isn’t on Eco7, I’ll need to check about adding our new car to the load for the magic 4 hour cheap rate.,.

Andy

This loop supply is causing me some worry, have just checked and we’re in a loop with the neighbour but we’re the first part of that makes any difference.
My other concern is we are an economy 7 house (not sure about the neighbour but will ask) which means we have a big storage radiator and a hot water tank.
We’re about to have a smart meter installed and will then switch to Octopus Go.
Even if our neighbour isn’t on Eco7, I’ll need to check about adding our new car to the load for the magic 4 hour cheap rate.,.

Andy
We're the first part too, which actually I think is worse because that means it's the neighbor who'd need their driveway dug up.

However I saw a video a guy did which showed the before and after and they restored the neighbors drive as it was before. So that's encouraging.

They had tiled brick so I guess easy enough to fix if it was a pattern printed (not sure the correct term) drive then it would be a different story.

The guy who is dealing with me from Western Power did say if the neighbor refuses then there may be other solutions but he wouldn't discuss them. So I am guessing fixing the loop is better for them.

Depends on what you mean by tariff scheduling.
Timed charging to exploit the likes of Octopus Go works now.
After looking into the Zappi I can see for now it's not the right option.

On the Hypervolt, can you lock it to prevent unauthorised use?

Attachments

• D78ECCF6-D2A7-417B-98D5-2A9A73F6E2D9.png
    D78ECCF6-D2A7-417B-98D5-2A9A73F6E2D9.png
    907.4 KB · Views: 116
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom