Trying to decide between Ohme and Zappi home chargers for MG5

I’m attaching a photo of our fuse box, if that helps, we’re getting a proper smart meter installed next week.

But I also spoke the our electric board (who is responsible for the actual wires in the street etc) and they confirmed that we’re on a looped supply but as the adaption is for an electric car, the cost of un-looping the neighbour etc would be covered my them! 👍🏻😎👍🏻
View attachment 4796
Old school Eco 7 mechanical analog dual rate meter.
We had one similar about 3 years ago, before it decided to pack up and it was only recording the “Off - Peak” rate for about two weeks.
British Gas then installed a new digital meter.
When the job was about 99% complete I asked the installer to run through the wiring he had made.
The meter he had installed, was suitable for storage rads.
He had the tails wired so the wall box was only able to be used at off peak times.
I then asked how I was meant to charge my car in the day ?.
He said :- “You can’t”.
No good to me that !.
After a few calls back to the mother ship at BG he had to make a forty mile around trip to get a suitable meter from one of his mates.
Then on his return, rewire the meter tails again.
About 18 months ago, this meter was replaced yet again, for the latest SMES 2 smart meter.

Old school Eco 7 mechanical analog dual rate meter.
We had one similar about 3 years ago, before it decided to pack up and it was only recording the “Off - Peak” rate for about two weeks.
British Gas then installed a new digital meter.
When the job was about 99% complete I asked the installer to run through the wiring he had made.
The meter he had installed, was suitable for storage rads.
He had the tails wired so the wall box was only able to be used at off peak times.
I then asked how I was meant to charge my car in the day ?.
He said :- “You can’t”.
No good to me that !.
After a few calls back to the mother ship at BG he had to make a forty mile around trip to get a suitable meter from one of his mates.
Then on his return, rewire the meter tails again.
About 18 months ago, this meter was replaced yet again, for the latest SMES 2 smart meter.
Could ask who are you with and which tariff you are on.
I have post for octopus agile to explain why am asking.

Could ask who are you with and which tariff you are on.
I have post for octopus agile to explain why am asking.
Of course, no problem 😉.
I am currently with EDF energy on there “GoElectric Nov21” tariff.
As the name suggests, the current contract ends at the end of November.
They still do offer a few similar plans.
The Off - Peak is 8p / kw’s and runs from 10.00am until 8.00am Monday to Friday.
And ALL weekend at this low rate.
The day rate is expensive at 21p / kw’s of course.
Not the cheapest off peak, but it does suit our needs.
Everybody case will be different of course.

That pricing for day rate now a days it not bad, you will not have anything heavy running in the day may a electric cooker for a hour at most so it just what I call background use which will under 500 watts. Is the daily standing charge high.

That pricing for day rate now a days it not bad, you will not have anything heavy running in the day may a electric cooker for a hour at most so it just what I call background use which will under 500 watts. Is the daily standing charge high.
The standing charge is 25.56 per day.
We try as much as possible to use the high usage items, like washing machines / tumble driers etc after 10.00pm in the evening, or first thing in the morning before it returns to the expensive tariff.
Larger washing loads, that can wait like bedding etc, we do at the weekends when the tariff is at a constant 8p / kw.
The car naturally gets charged in the middle of the night on week days, but anytime we wish at the weekend of course.
The off - peak times shift slightly when the clocks move forward or backwards in the winter / summer.
In the winter period it shifts by one hour, so the rate starts at 9.00pm and finishes at 7.00pm.
Summer, it is 10.00pm until 8.00am.
As I found out by mistake !.
Hope this helps.

9E90C823-39DE-4A37-A243-A84E5CBC17C4.jpeg

Really like the hypervolt just had it fitted. Have solar so wanted something that would be able to draw from it like the zappi 2, however zappi 2 and having to pay for a separate box just to work with Solar was the deciding factor, plus the Harvey unit was another £50, pushing the price over £800 including fitting. Recommend Lea Arnold Electrical, covers Colchester area and further a field in suffolk.

View attachment 4945
Really like the hypervolt just had it fitted. Have solar so wanted something that would be able to draw from it like the zappi 2, however zappi 2 and having to pay for a separate box just to work with Solar was the deciding factor, plus the Harvey unit was another £50, pushing the price over £800 including fitting. Recommend Lea Arnold Electrical, covers Colchester area and further a field in suffolk.
I do like the styling of the Hypervolt units.
Their customer service is reported as being excellent by all accounts.
Fully charged have done a piece with the CEO of Hypervolt.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom