Tutorial for updating maps on ZS EV Gen 2 (avoiding mgmotor.eu)

Also for the MG5 and MGSZ comfort edition. Yes you do need the Vin number to download the correct version.
I used my VIN number to access the download area, but you don't get access there to the update download itself, but to an update instruction document that includes a link to the update. It didn't work for me ("missing VN file") - I don't believe the update file is linked to the VIN.

The update zip is the same for everybody. The VIN is only used to gate off the download.
Make sure to use a known good 32GB USB drive, format it freshly with exFAT and put the "maps" folder from the zip in the root of the drive.

Also, as I've learned, make sure to put the car in "Ready" mode and keep it in "P".

Also, as I've learned, make sure to put the car in "Ready" mode and keep it in "P".
I had a double take at first reading that. But then I realised that the entertainment system needs 12 V uninterrupted for more than the default 10 minutes (or whatever the timeout is). So that's a good idea.

It's not just a good idea. If you don't do it, the car will give a somewhat oblique message about how you "did not meet the conditions for upgrade" and refuse to even start the process.

The Vin number ensures you get the correct download for your vehicle. The version for the ZS comfort edition is the same as the MG5, but not the luxury edition, MG4 or the other models.
It worked fine for me but had to try a few times as the download kept stopping halfway through and wouldn't restart. I suspect the download site was very busy and I only have a slow internet connection.

Last edited:
Just updated mine to 2023 yesterday.
I got the files off the MG EU site, entering my VIN number in the process.
First it took about 2 hours to download a failed download on Friday, then about 3 hours to successfully download again yesterday.
It took me about 4 hours to unzip the files directly to a 32Gb memory stick, the files are 23Gb.
Put it in the car, selected update and waited 3 minutes for it to recognise the Map files and 27 minutes to update.
Apart from the first failed download of the files, everything went as planned, it didn't ask for the VN file or anything when updating.

Just to clarify... Entering your VIN number gives you access to a list of documents, one of which is the instructions for the upgrade, and inside that document is the link to the update download itself?

Just to clarify... Entering your VIN number gives you access to a list of documents, one of which is the instructions for the upgrade, and inside that document is the link to the update download itself?
Yes
just tried the update and it failed with 'No VN file found in U disk'

Yes
just tried the update and it failed with 'No VN file found in U disk'
I looked through the downloaded folders on my USB stick and I can't see anything with a VN in the filename or file type. :unsure:

This is a guess on how the system works:-
When you download your first map update it asks for the Vin Number. You then have 5 years of updates based on when you first enter your Vin Number.
When you successfully complete the download it includes a file: file_verification.
I had a number of partial downloads due to my slow internet connection and the large file size all of which were missing the file verification, so I would suspect that this is the last file to download and could be the error (missing VN), file verification? If this is the case that it is the last file to download and it's not there then that would signify that the download is incomplete and if allowed to install would screw up the navi.

This is just a guess based on how I would have programmed the download verification.
Remember this is NOT software written by MG and was originally developed by Nokia as Hear Maps.
It is now called "Here WeGo" and owned by:-
"a consortium of German automotive companies (comprising Audi AG, BMW AG and Daimler AG)" Wikipedia.

I thought that too, but the expiry date for your free updates appears to be actually coded into the car. In my maps "about" it has an end date listed there which is 5 years from when I bought the car. That simplifies things a lot and explains the free generic map file download.

Once you must pay for a map download, then I expect the VIN to be encoded into the map data so that download is unique to your car and allows it to override the end date programmed into your car.

It appears though that the new NAV software version is enforcing the second method and ignoring the cars end date for free updates.

I thought that too, but the expiry date for your free updates appears to be actually coded into the car. In my maps "about" it has an end date listed there which is 5 years from when I bought the car. That simplifies things a lot and explains the free generic map file download.

Once you must pay for a map download, then I expect the VIN to be encoded into the map data so that download is unique to your car and allows it to override the end date programmed into your car.

It appears though that the new NAV software version is enforcing the second method and ignoring the cars end date for free updates.
I thought the end date listed in about is for data services not map updates (mine only shows 4 years).

From the map update download PDF file right at the end where it tells you to Follow the instruction to start the update.

"* MG provides 5 years of free map data update. The 5-year period start date is the same as the vehicle’s warranty start date. ** If the update process failed, please contact your local dealer."
follow the link below and put in your Vin Number you will get to the PDF file:-
Benutzerhandbücher

From the map update download PDF file right at the end where it tells you to Follow the instruction to start the update.

"* MG provides 5 years of free map data update. The 5-year period start date is the same as the vehicle’s warranty start date. ** If the update process failed, please contact your local dealer."
follow the link below and put in your Vin Number you will get to the PDF file:-
Benutzerhandbücher
I think those of us using a VIN to get the download have all used a similar link to the one you have provided.

The download link within the PDF points to the same server and download regardless of VIN (https://www.mgmotor.eu/storage/map-data/maps.zip)

My update failed, however @Kithmo worked even tho both cars are UK spec Trophy LR.
The difference between them is the base NAV software version, mine is the latest along with R46 infotainment, whereas Kithmo's is an earlier version of both. (from the MG4 section)

Seems like the newer software doesn't like the newer map data in its current state.

Last edited:
Hallo all, new owner with first post/question. Bought a new ZS EV Luxury/Long Range in Portugal last week. The Nav software was 21Q3 and so trying to update to the most recent. On mgmotor.eu it seems that 23Q1 is the latest, so downloaded that. The car recognises the USB and the nav update, but in the next step shows this (see below). Any ideas? I use CarPlay but as a nerd, want the latest nav software too ;) Thanks in advance.
IMG_2242.jpeg

Either your download corrupted the file, your ZIP software did not extract it correctly (most likely) or there was an error transferring it to the USB stick.
Start again from scratch, possible using a different ZIP software and, if possible, stick. Make sure the stick is formatted (exFAT) before use. Ideally do it all on a PC - I've heard of issues with Apple hardware messing this up to.

Successful update. I had what I thought was an error message "udisk identity failure" which I have never seen on the previous updates, waited a few minutes and the download started to install.

Last edited:
A successful update of the maps in the UK. Took nearly two hours to unzip the download to a large USB stick and then about 30 mins to do the update in the car with 'ignition' on and in Park.

Photo of current version level attached in case it helps anyone - sorry it's a bit out of focus, but quite dark in the garage!

Attachments

• 20240405 Sat Nav (MG ZS).jpg
    20240405 Sat Nav (MG ZS).jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 52
A successful update of the maps in the UK. Took nearly two hours to unzip the download to a large USB stick and then about 30 mins to do the update in the car with 'ignition' on and in Park.

Photo of current version level attached in case it helps anyone - sorry it's a bit out of focus, but quite dark in the garage!
Ignition on is when you press start button once for standby or when it's ready to drive?

Where did you download yours from?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom