Updated Octopus Go Charging Costs

My Octopus Go ran out last month. They have put me onto Octopus Flexible, and now I pay 34p/Kwh. And no cheap rates. I have asked several times to go back to Go, but the web page just runs me around in circles.

Even at 34p, a weekly fill up is still in the order of £12, which is pretty cheap motoring anyway...
Octopus are trying to push Octopus Inelegant, you get 6 hours of overnight charging at 10p per kWh but you need a specific Ohme smart charger or a specific EV that Octopus have on their list. Unfortunately there’s not many EVs on the list and MG isn’t one of them .

Oh yes, I'd already forgotten about that Gomev. :)

I came back to update about my figures - I realised due to extended holidays (5 - 6 weeks) in March and October, and solar panels, my actual figures won't mean much really.

But for Jan/Feb/April I used 772 cheap units and 768 expensive ones, and in July/Aug I used 525 cheap units and 286 expensive ones.

Car charging, dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer all (usually) happen in cheap zone. Also, fortunately, as at the moment my cheap zone runs from 21:30 for 4 hours, some of my evening activities (TV, hot drinks etc) end up cheap - I know this won't last.
You are well on the good side of the equation :)

In that post I included a link to download the original spreadsheet where you can use your own figures.

My Octopus Go ran out last month. They have put me onto Octopus Flexible, and now I pay 34p/Kwh. And no cheap rates. I have asked several times to go back to Go, but the web page just runs me around in circles.

Even at 34p, a weekly fill up is still in the order of £12, which is pretty cheap motoring anyway...
How many miles per week do you travel?

Most or my solar goes into the house battery or water heaters, I just wanted to get more than 4.1p for anything going to the grid.

You need to ring them..

Can’t go on octopus go as use octopus agile export for solar.
Also I’m a fire fighter. So very strongly recommend against using tumble dryers over night.
You'll find that the heat pump ones are OK especially with auto sensors, as no high temperatures are reached, also use 25% of the power too!

... and I'm no expert but aren't most caused by people not cleaning the lint out regularly? Also tehre was a specific brand which had a problem IIRC.

Some are deff a higher risk than others (but recalls on many of the supposedly better names) and maintenance can indeed reduce the risk. But still one of the highest risks in the home.

I switched to Octopus Go on the 7th October and got the 7.5p rate locked in till next October. Anyone with an EV car and a smart meter it’s a no brainer. The 6p extra day rate is negligible if you put your dishwasher and washing machine to go one for the four hours over night.

I’m a company car driver so do in excess of 2k per month but most of the time can get by with tipping up for the four hours each night. (I’m maybe out and about for work 2.5 times a week). Saving is over £130 a month.

And if the HMRC sever get round to upping the electric car mileage rate from 5p, then quids in.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom