USB A USB B Not Connected

Aha. I have followed this through and when I get to Device Details on my phone I have Connected Device or This Device. It will only stay on This Device. Below that are a series of buttons the top being File Transfer and the bottom No Data Transfer.
It will only stay on No Data Transfer and I have tried to select File Transfer using 5 different cables including the one with my phone. But I can not get it to remain on Data Transfer.
It reverts to No Data Transfer and immediately goes to the AA loading screen. As soon as I press Next, the AA screen stops.

Do you have a view of this?
This definitely sounds like a bad connection, either hardware or software related.
The 3 points of connection to check would be - Phone USB-in > Cable > Car USB-in.

Sounds like you're exhausting those 3 points, the fact you had it working only for it to go off means something isn't quite right in the mix.

You can completely rule out your phone and cable easily if you can plug it into a laptop/pc and get data-transfer via USB that way. If so then you're left with Car AA software faulty or Car Data-USB-port is faulty. Either way it's back to the dealer for them to sort for you.

Thank you all for your inputs.
I am thinking it could be my phone.
When I go into USB PREFERENCES, there are a few options, including:
FILE TRANSFER.
NO DATA TRANSFER.
For some reason, when I try to select Flie Transfer, the phone reverts to No Data Transfer.
I have located another android phone and will try that tomorrow.

FILE TRANSFER.
NO DATA TRANSFER.
For some reason, when I try to select Flie Transfer, the phone reverts to No Data Transfer.
Also check the USB port on your phone isn't full of pocket fluff

Also check the USB port on your phone isn't full of pocket fluff
It is my phone. I have managed to borrow another android phone and it worked immediately.
Strange because it is also a Motorola phone but older than mine.
Anyway, it is nothing to do with the car. So I will have to think about getting another phone.
Can I say thank you for all of your advice and help.

FILE TRANSFER.
NO DATA TRANSFER.
If the car usb is faulty the phone will not get a return ping to enable data transfer if you can connect to a laptop, then it would point to the car

If the car usb is faulty the phone will not get a return ping to enable data transfer if you can connect to a laptop, then it would point to the car
It is my phone. I have managed to borrow another android phone and it worked immediately.
Strange because it is also a Motorola phone but older than mine.
Anyway, it is nothing to do with the car. So I will have to think about getting another phone.
Can I say thank you for all of your advice and help.
Haha should read the last post

Apology. No it didn't work unfortunately but I appreciate your help.

Even though I am sorry you are having the same problems I am at least happy that it is not just me....

I have a Motorola G7 plus and I have updated the AA app.

Thank you.
The annoying thing is that AA momentarily opens up then stops.
That's what's happening with me too. Original cable - connects - shows map and android apps - after 5 mins or so drops out and AA greyed out on screen - if I press it then says connect phone with cable. I'll get dealer to check it out sometime - not critical fortunately

That's what's happening with me too. Original cable - connects - shows map and android apps - after 5 mins or so drops out and AA greyed out on screen - if I press it then says connect phone with cable. I'll get dealer to check it out sometime - not critical fortunately

My wife reported this happened to her yesterday with her phone (Oppo Find X3 Neo), but we've had no such issues with pretty extensive use of my phone (Pixel 7 Pro). I suspect it's more likely to be phone / cable issues than the car.

I've cleaned out her usb port using some pressurized air to see if it improves things.

I've read quite a bit about the trouble people have trying to make their existing devices play in the car. However, could someone maybe explain what does work?

I'm thinking about starting from scratch with a new device and loading it up with audio files for the car (mainly copies of CDs I have), and I could do with knowing what actually works, reliably.

AA works OK for me (most of the time - no more troublesome than it ever was in my previous Insignia). I use the Musicolet app for playing music. (Used to use RocketPlayer but that seems to have stopped reading my phone's SD card so no longer finds any music). In my case all my music is MP3, and they are stored in folders by Artist / Album / Disc (where relevant)

I wish I understood that! I had an iPod plugged into my previous car, which worked until it stopped talking to the car, and that's the sum total of my knowledge and experience on this.

These things can be very frustrating to resolve. You have 5 variables each of which may have problems. The Phone, the USB connector, and the car USB connector, and the software on teh phone as well as the car. I am presuming you have searched on the specific phone forums to see if this is a problem with the phone?

A quick search on Google turned up several references to others having issues with connecting Android Auto, on many cars, with this phone, as well as some useful suggestions. There are even some Youtube videos on issues and solutions to Android Auto problems.

If you have checked several USB connectors, and I don't mean some you found lost at the back of a drawer, then I suspect it's not that. As a suggestion buy an OTG rated cable and try that: -

USB OTG, what can you do with it? With a USB OTG cable, you can [B]connect a USB flash drive, mouse, keyboard, hard drive, or another smartphone to your phone or tablet[/B], for example.

Not that you need it for Android Auto , but all connectors are fully populated and they tend to be of higher quality. Don't always think that the included cable will be of the highest quality. Over the years I have had several of these fail to work even when new. Buy one from a well reviewed Amazon supplyer.

It could be a dodgy USB solder joint on the car, which obviously would need to be fixed at a dealership.

Maybe I was lucky because it worked first time for me using a cheap USB connector and my Samsung Z-Fold 4 phone. It works flawlessly with no issues even on long journeys. However, I suspect its either the phone or the USB lead where your problems is.

Last edited:
I haven't got Android Auto working at all as far as I can see. The dealer said he'd linked the car to my phone, but apart from MG iSmart, which is working fine, nothing else happened.

I wondered if I needed to download the Android Auto app, but when I tried to do that it said that the app is already integrated into all phones with Android 10 and above and doesn't need to be downloaded. Look for it in the Settings menu. I looked and it isn't there. I checked System, and it tells me that my system is up to date with Android 8.1.0. So I don't have it, and I can't download it, and it appears that I can't upgrade to the level that will allow me to access it. Is that the situation, does anyone know?

Is it a case of needing a new phone before any of this will work?

My previous car had a connector that would allow an iPod to be connected to the audio system (which I used), with an alternative lead that ended in a USB socket (which I didn't). With the iPod I could copy CDs on to that and make playlists to play in the car. I've got a lot of CDs. I can't see a way to connect an iPod (unsurprisingly), but I was thinking there must be a 2023 way to port CD files on to a device that the car will play. And suggestions?

Might be a long shot but one possible issue could be the Android OS is no longer compatible with Android Auto version.

Did post a version number before but it was wrong, going to check the database for correct versions

OK latest version of Android Auto is 8.7 which started rolling out in January.

Compatibility is Android OS 10 or newer out of the box. If you are running 9 or lower you will need to install the Android Auto App onto your phone for it to work.

I'm guessing any of the recent MG software updates i.e v33 could potentially include the latest Android Auto update so this could possibly effect others that have had Android Auto working before.

Last edited:
I seem to have Android 8, but the app store is telling me that the app is integrated into all devices with Android 10, and offers no way for anyone with Android 8 to get it. I saw a thing called AutoMate, and downloaded that, but when I tried to open it I was informed that I had to set notifications (from navigation and media apps). I tapped on "enable" and was then informed "this feature is not available on this device". Frustrating.

I was thinking I might need to go to the nearest O2 store and beg a little.

I seem to have Android 8, but the app store is telling me that the app is integrated into all devices with Android 10, and offers no way for anyone with Android 8 to get it. I saw a thing called AutoMate, and downloaded that, but when I tried to open it I was informed that I had to set notifications (from navigation and media apps). I tapped on "enable" and was then informed "this feature is not available on this device". Frustrating.

I was thinking I might need to go to the nearest O2 store and beg a little.
Can you download this from the play store? Android Auto - Apps on Google Play

I find Googles lack of info on compatibility on the play store very frustrating

Nope. Thanks for the link, but all I got was "Your device isn't compatible with this version."

I bought the phone in 2019 and it works well. I wasn't thinking about a new one. But it really doesn't seem to want to be a carphone.

I just noticed that under "about this app" it says you need a phone running Android 6 or above, which is what you said, and I have Android 8, so something doesn't compute here. Then further down it says "required OS Android 8 and above". Weird.

Then right at the bottom, under "compatibility" I get "Won't work on your device".

Baffled person here.

Last edited:
Nope. Thanks for the link, but all I got was "Your device isn't compatible with this version."

I bought the phone in 2019 and it works well. I wasn't thinking about a new one. But it really doesn't seem to want to be a carphone.
What handset is it? Might be easier to go to a phone repair place and see if they can flash Android 10 onto it if the maker hasn't released an update

It's a Motorola moto E5 play. Last time I went to the O2 store (which is when I bought this phone) the lad there was very knowledgeable and helpful. I think I might take another trip there.

While I'm here, I'll repeat the question about getting CD files to play in the car. (I was going to start a new thread but the forum software won't let me - it keeps accusing me of creating new tags and telling me to remove them, but I haven't created any new tags!)

Anybody know a 2023 means of getting CD files to play over the car audio? The iPod did it very well, but they're getting obsolete. I'd imagine there's some other way of doing it though.

Rolfe unfortunately your phone has a very old version of ANDROID 8.1 It was released in 2017.
Android Auto has now been integrated into ANDROID 10 and above. So unfortunately your phone is incompatible with Android Auto and any car that can connect to it.
Your phone however, has been linked via bluetooth so that hopefully the iSMART app can work.

Reference your question about CD playing on an MG well as you know the MG does not have a CD player. Infact I'm not aware on any new car that comes with a CD player. The only thing you can do is use your PC or Laptop, that may have a CD player, to RIP the songs to MP3 files like a student from the 1980s. There are plenty of illegal ways to do this just do a search on Google. However, I would suggest you join one of the streaming services like Spotify or Amazon Music because it makes it so easy to listen to an enourmous range of music genres. Being 71 I obviously only like Grunge and Techno.

Seriously, the time saved in not having to rip, process, copy to USB, is well worth a couple of Lattes. Spotify is now £9.99 per month and Amazon music Unlimited is £8.99 per month. Amazon music is offering a free 3 month period to try it out if you are interested.

Amazon Music Unlimited | 90 million songs ad-free‎

If you are an Amazon Prime member you get a pretty good cut down version. It just doesn't have the 'Latest' music on there. That's why MG offered Amazon Music on the MG ZS EV Trophy Connect when released.

By the way I actually listen to Smooth Jazz and Classical, as well a audible books when I drive.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back