• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

V2L Cars to be in demand?

With the current energy problem getting worse I am so glad I have ordered a MG4, when I initially explored upgrading from my MG5 V2L was just a nice thing to have, now I think it’s a very important feature.
When discussing the MG4 V2L is undoubtedly one of the main talking points with the possibility of power cuts.
I think vehicles with V2L capability are going to be in big demand, get them while you can.
I’ve just got a price for a V2L plug from my MG dealer £268.50 !!!

I am working on adding a commando socket on the side of the house that will be wired to 2 sockets downstairs and 2 sockets upstairs, then plugging in my MG ZS EV to the commando socket. This is being done by an electrician and will be properly earthed.

All the other critical stuff , freezer, hot water and central heating will run off the critical UPS of my home battery, 20kWh. The goal is to keep Wi-Fi, home automation, heating, basic lighting and basic cooking going.

Hopefully this will mitigate the worst elements of rolling power cuts if they arrive.

The cost of this mitigation is less than £300, with the biggest cost being the V2L cable which we can use if we want to take the Nespresso machine out on a day trip :)

I am working on adding a commando socket on the side of the house that will be wired to 2 sockets downstairs and 2 sockets upstairs, then plugging in my MG ZS EV to the commando socket. This is being done by an electrician and will be properly earthed.

All the other critical stuff , freezer, hot water and central heating will run off the critical UPS of my home battery, 20kWh. The goal is to keep Wi-Fi, home automation, heating, basic lighting and basic cooking going.

Hopefully this will mitigate the worst elements of rolling power cuts if they arrive.

The cost of this mitigation is less than £300, with the biggest cost being the V2L cable which we can use if we want to take the Nespresso machine out on a day trip :)
Great idea, this is something I’ve considering today with news of possible energy cuts in the winter,
I know someone who has ordered a MG4 specifically for this reason,

Woooooooooooooooooo

Woooooooooooooooooo
It doesn’t mention the MG4 in the spec, is it confirmed that it is compatible?

It doesn’t mention the MG4 in the spec, is it confirmed that it is compatible?
I can’t see why it would not be suitable ?.
Drop them a call / message !.
I have one of these very same cables for use on our ZS EV facelift.
I managed to grab one when they where first released, they where much cheaper back then !.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Personally to save £70 or something I think i'd buy an official MG one :-/

I'd be concerned using it on my £32k car
To be honest, if the OEM official MG V2L adaptor was more suitably priced, I am sure more people would buy it direct from MG.
It’s WAY over priced, for what it is really.
When EV Cables first released their product, it was priced very reasonably.
Then because of its popularity ( and no doubt they found out what MG was asking for the OEM unit ) they increased the price almost overnight and then again, when it sold out twice again !.
Effectively it’s simply a good quality Type 2 plug ( which IS really important ) with the correctly rated resistor installed inside.
When plugged into the car, it permits the car to discharge, instead of receiving a charge.
The Type 2 plug ( gun ) has a short length of suitably rated flex / cable attached and a good quality 13 Amp three pin socket outlet fitted to the other end of the flex.
That’s it, your done !.
The OEM MG V2L is adaptor is similar, but is designed as a one piece adaptor, that has no extension flex included.
You plug your chosen electrical equipment ( via a three pin plug ) straight into the back of the MG V2L adaptor.
EV Cables worked closely with a early owner of a ZS EV facelift, to develop the V2L cable I believe.
The MG4 will no doubt increase the demand even further I suspect.
I suspect the wait time on the MG OEM unit to be lengthy anyway, going on how long it takes to get a lot of their spares !.

To be honest, if the OEM official MG V2L adaptor was more suitably priced, I am sure more people would buy it direct from MG.
It’s WAY over priced, for what it is really.
When EV Cables first released their product, it was priced very reasonably.
Then because of its popularity ( and no doubt they found out what MG was asking for the OEM unit ) they increased the price almost overnight and then again, when it sold out twice again !.
Effectively it’s simply a good quality Type 2 plug ( which IS really important ) with the correctly rated resistor installed inside.
When plugged into the car, it permits the car to discharge, instead of receiving a charge.
The Type 2 plug ( gun ) has a short length of suitably rated flex / cable attached and a good quality 13 Amp three pin socket outlet fitted to the other end of the flex.
That’s it, your done !.
The OEM MG V2L is adaptor is similar, but is designed as a one piece adaptor, that has no extension flex included.
You plug your chosen electrical equipment ( via a three pin plug ) straight into the back of the MG V2L adaptor.
EV Cables worked closely with a early owner of a ZS EV facelift, to develop the V2L cable I believe.
The MG4 will no doubt increase the demand even further I suspect.
I suspect the wait time on the MG OEM unit to be lengthy anyway, going on how long it takes to get a lot of their spares !.
Right so is the official MG one just a sort of short plug with no cable, that would be no good really.

What really we need is something that plugs in with a long cable that you can put through your window garage or whatever as it does rain a lot. You need to be able to plug your three pin UK plug into it in a dry location dont you.

So maybe that website is the best option?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 425 79.9%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back