• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

V2L - useful ?

Thank you so much. I have now bought one!
Just remember that MG recommends that it safe to run appliances up to 2.2 Kw’s via the V2L adaptor.
Check first before use, that your tumble drier does not exceed this on the higher heat setting.
A fast boil electric kitchen kettle can be rated at almost 3 Kw’s these days !.
We have a lower wattage 1 litre travel kettle with a slightly smaller capacity that we use with the V2L cable.
It was less than £20 and does the job just great.
Oh …. You could in theory safely charge another EV with a V2L cable via a Granny unit.
It would take a while, but handy to know !.

Thank you for the info @Lovemyev I’m not sure if I am being a bit dumb here, but having looked all through my dryer manual, nowhere does it state the maximum kw it draws. However, there are endless lists of the power it uses for different cycles. The largest number is 1.5 kWh, so I assume that will be fine to run it V2L? The machine is a Samsung heat pump dryer.

Thank you for the info @Lovemyev I’m not sure if I am being a bit dumb here, but having looked all through my dryer manual, nowhere does it state the maximum kw it draws. However, there are endless lists of the power it uses for different cycles. The largest number is 1.5 kWh, so I assume that will be fine to run it V2L? The machine is a Samsung heat pump dryer.

You will be fine with that :)

If the car sees a problem it will turn off the power.

I have run a 2kW heater with no issues. I monitored the temperature of the converter in the car and it was not a problem

The V2L is able to charge another car using a granny charger lead and that will typically pull 10Amps @ 230 V, which is around 2.3kW.

This gives a bit of an insight:

Thank you for this info Micheal. Very interesting stuff.
Les

You will be fine with that :)

If the car sees a problem it will turn off the power.

I have run a 2kW heater with no issues. I monitored the temperature of the converter in the car and it was not a problem

The V2L is able to charge another car using a granny charger lead and that will typically pull 10Amps @ 230 V, which is around 2.3kW.
Hi Micheal can you tell me if it’s true that when using V2L that the car as to be in ready mode so can’t be left Unattended also the DRL can’t be switched off?
Les

Hi Micheal can you tell me if it’s true that when using V2L that the car as to be in ready mode so can’t be left Unattended also the DRL can’t be switched off?
Les
I believe this to be correct Les.
Unless Michael has a different experience on this subject ?.

Hi thanks Geoff seems a bit strange to me having to have the car powered up with lights on even tho they are small LEDs for what could be hours but not being driven.
Les

Hi thanks Geoff seems a bit strange to me having to have the car powered up with lights on even tho they are small LEDs for what could be hours but not being driven.
Les
Somebody else on another thread has discovered this while trying to use his V2L cable while camping.
The car needs to be booted to access the V2L facility and likely keeps the 12 volt battery charged, but it’s a shame you can’t disable the DRL lamps though.
Not sure if they are controlled by there own fuse ?.
This could be an option, pull the fuse while the V2L is in use ?.
I am only guessing here Les :rolleyes:.

My thoughts were to be able to do the freezer in power cuts, but now I have started to read what we really need is bidirectional port then you could fill the battery with cheaper electric at night and use the battery during the day to power your home when car not in use. Would work well but I don't think the MG system would support it, you would need additional bits in the house

Les

My procedure:

Unlock the car

Open the charger flap and plug in the discharge cable

Get into the car

Push the start button once and the main screen will come to life (do not put your foot on the brake)

Go to the discharge page and turn it on

Push the start button twice to power down the car

Get out of the car and lock it.

Car is off with no DRLs and the discharge cable is still providing power.

To turn the power off, get back into the car and press the start button once (no foot on brake pedal)

Using the main screen turn off discharging.

As such, DRLs are not on and the car is powered off and locked when using V2L. The car never has to be in READY for the V2L to function.

My procedure:

Unlock the car

Open the charger flap and plug in the discharge cable

Get into the car

Push the start button once and the main screen will come to life (do not put your foot on the brake)

Go to the discharge page and turn it on

Push the start button twice to power down the car

Get out of the car and lock it.

Car is off with no DRLs and the discharge cable is still providing power.

To turn the power off, get back into the car and press the start button once (no foot on brake pedal)

Using the main screen turn off discharging.

As such, DRLs are not on and the car is powered off and locked when using V2L. The car never has to be in READY for the V2L to function.
On my trophy long range the V2l times out after a few minutes following your routine. The only way V2l continues to discharge for any length of time for using the tumble dryer the car has to be in the on state with the drls on. The car is still undriveable as it recognises the connected cable.

On my trophy long range the V2l times out after a few minutes following your routine. The only way V2l continues to discharge for any length of time for using the tumble dryer the car has to be in the on state with the drls on. The car is still undriveable as it recognises the connected cable.

I will double check and confirm.

Just to add (as it was us that had to call the AA to the campsite):

When V2L is connected and the car is powered down (yes, it works fine) - there is a 2 amp load on the 12v starter battery. Nobody who has looked at the car can figure out why or what this is for, but it is there nonetheless. Just bear in mind that if you plan to leave the V2L plugged in for any length of time, the 12v battery may take a beating! The only way we managed to get round this was leave the car in Ready state (DRLs on).

This does somewhat limit the usefulness of V2L (we only intended to use it when camping to avoid paying for electric hookup).

Just to add (as it was us that had to call the AA to the campsite):

When V2L is connected and the car is powered down (yes, it works fine) - there is a 2 amp load on the 12v starter battery. Nobody who has looked at the car can figure out why or what this is for, but it is there nonetheless. Just bear in mind that if you plan to leave the V2L plugged in for any length of time, the 12v battery may take a beating! The only way we managed to get round this was leave the car in Ready state (DRLs on).

This does somewhat limit the usefulness of V2L (we only intended to use it when camping to avoid paying for electric hookup).
Very useful to know.

Would be possible to connect a trickle charger while using the V2L. A nuisance, but it would solve the issue.

Very useful to know.

Would be possible to connect a trickle charger while using the V2L. A nuisance, but it would solve the issue.
Potentially yes. We didn’t as it was a lovely secluded campsite and were able to shove the nose in a bush so the DRLs weren’t bothering anyone! But I dare say our insurers would have had something to say if the car was taken!

I’ve had mine plugged in and powering a lamp for an hour. The V2L is still functional and the car is powered down as per my procedure.

I am seeing 3.5Amps charge going to the 12V battery at present (using a clamp meter).

I will leave it all connected (too hot to drive anywhere today). I will monitor the 12V battery voltage and current draw.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom