• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Vanarama Issues

This bit is the worst bit:

"
  • Orders which have not reached the status “completed”, “awaiting payment” or “awaiting audit” within the 9-month period will move to ‘on hold’ status and will be cancelled.
"

Think you are right.

If my supplying dealer hasn't put my order in that state by mid September, I'm done.
One of the posts is saying that that 9 months has been extended to the 12 months and is what has been brought to our attention by @#%=arramma (I won't say the name, people don't want to talk about them!?) So well hopefully give people more of a chance to get the cars in

I believe Under GDPR, they have to disclose all data they retain on their systems to you 🤔
You are talking about a Subject Access Request, nothing to do with FOI :)

There was a 48 hour grace period for dealers to claim the grant on existing orders where it had not already been claimed - this was stated in the document announcing the withdrawal of the grant. There's no good excuse for any dealer not having made an attempt to do so, and where they did not because of their error they should compensate the purchaser.
Of course if the order had not been placed by then it's not the dealers fault, but the lease company or brokers issue.

I believe Under GDPR, they have to disclose all data they retain on their systems to you 🤔
That's true up to a point, but it would be unlikely to include a breakdown of how costs were calculated if they were not specific to a characteristic of the individual. For example insurance premiums would only show any rating for previous claims, not how they calculate the costs for an MG.

There was a 48 hour grace period for dealers to claim the grant on existing orders where it had not already been claimed - this was stated in the document announcing the withdrawal of the grant. There's no good excuse for any dealer not having made an attempt to do so, and where they did not because of their error they should compensate the purchaser.
Of course if the order had not been placed by then it's not the dealers fault, but the lease company or brokers issue.
I agree, there was.
However, some still did miss the dead line.
Mix up’s over paperwork and deposits not being paid etc etc.
Unlikely that the dealer would make up the difference in price, as they would then be selling the car at a loss.
Same with the lease company !.
Car manufacturers and customers for that matter, have been hit with the “Perfect Storm” conditions over the last 18 months.
Personally, I can not see it improving massively in 2023 either to be honest.

One of the posts is saying that that 9 months has been extended to the 12 months and is what has been brought to our attention by @#%=arramma (I won't say the name, people don't want to talk about them!?) So well hopefully give people more of a chance to get the cars in
It's been been extended to 12, but from the wording, if it hasn't reached those statuses by 9, they are still cancelling them...or am I reading it wrong?

That text is from the section about the extension...

I can’t seem to find my T&c’s from vanarama. Did any of you get sent them after doing the initial e signing of the forms?

Mix up’s over paperwork and deposits not being paid etc etc.

Most should have been sortable in 48 hours, and at very least the issue identified then rather than being left until now.

Unlikely that the dealer would make up the difference in price, as they would then be selling the car at a loss.
Same with the lease company !.

A number of dealers have done just that - their reasoning hasn't been published but I'd assume it relates to doing the right thing and maintaining their reputation. Large companies with big marketing budgets can afford the same even if football has to suffer.

I enquired with the DVLA team about when my order was submitted on the OZEV portal and about the 12 month limit given manufacturing delays and this was their response:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good Morning,

Your dealership will be able to advise when this order was submitted on the portal. You will need to contact them to discuss any claims they have entered on the portal. If the order exceeds the 12 months then your dealership will need to contact the vehicle manufacturer and they will need to appeal this directly with OZEV. The PIVG team have no jurisdiction or responsibility for policy decisions and will be unable to advise further.

Kind Regards,
The PIVG Team
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe an email to OZEV will help, but that looks like MG would need to do this.

I can’t seem to find my T&c’s from vanarama. Did any of you get sent them after doing the initial e signing of the forms?
No, However I have signed my Finance Docs (Novuna) which are where most of the T's & C's are I think. Certainly relating to supply and price changes

Afternoon all. I ordered back in Nov '21 with an original delivery date of March. This then became Sept and just had the call to say its March/April 2023!! Madness. I could have built one out of Lego by now!

I'm in the same boat as most people as I had a charger fitted so I'm now a bit stuck. I managed to get the vehicle order number from Vanarama and contacted MG directly. Just had the following response:

Hi Mr Ian Simpson,

Thank you for the information.

Your vehicle order status (30000XXXXX) currently is ‘Shortage awaiting build’, unfortunately, until production is confirmed, we cannot provide an exact delivery time.
Moreover, we cannot provide a timeframe on when production will be confirmed, we apologise for the inconvenience this has caused.
At this instance, we can only advise you to continue to liaise with your leasing company/dealership for delivery updates.
Your patience is much appreciated!
Kind regards

It seems that the estimated date for March/April may also be a bit optimistic as they haven't even planned in the build yet!! Only 12 months after the order was placed, can't rush these things eh!?

Any thoughts on next actions? I'm planning to get a car from an alternative supplier (at a higher cost, sadly) and see what happens next. Can't see this being resolved for a long time and I can't keep running a 22 year old stop gap car through winter.

Do we actually have any consumer rights? It looks like the contract doesn't apply until we take receipt of the car so unsure what can be done from a legal point of view. We may just be relying on goodwill which so far has been in short supply!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just got off the phone to Vanarama.
My car ordered June 22 has been pushed back to a Dec/Jan build with a delivery est of Mar/Apr
I'm waiting to see when they get finance details on the 4 and what the lead times are on that before I decide what to do.
I may decide to buy my current lease vehicle and keep that until things settle down
I may hold out for the ZS
I may order a 4

I'm going to see if Glyn Hopkins round the corner from me have got a 4 I can sneek a look at

I've just got off the phone to Vanarama.
My car ordered June 22 has been pushed back to a Dec/Jan build with a delivery est of Mar/Apr
I'm waiting to see when they get finance details on the 4 and what the lead times are on that before I decide what to do.
I may decide to buy my current lease vehicle and keep that until things settle down
I may hold out for the ZS
I may order a 4

I'm going to see if Glyn Hopkins round the corner from me have got a 4 I can sneek a look at
So Vanarama are quoting build/delivery times for June 2022 orders to be the same as November 2021 orders. It's almost like they or MG have reset the clock on all orders placed to date.

I'd be interested to know the monthly price, upfront payment and mileage allowance for latter orders that were not ever subject to the grant for comparison purposes against the revised figure those that had the grant are now getting.

What I find amazing is just how disingenuous Vanarama have been, I've come to the conclusion that they have absolutely no idea what so ever when they are getting the cars in, Yet still continue to give updated times.
Dose anybody here believe that there cars with any certainty will turn up Mar/Apr next year, I don't, And I don't think they do, But they still seem happy telling people it's fine to hang on until then.
They seem to have anyone that has had the charger installed by the balls, And it wasn't free as I had to have a breaker put in, On top of that I'm not paying over 350 quid or more for a bloody Chinese built MG, It was my first lease because it was cheap, If I'm going up to £350 I may as well go up to 400 quid and get a proper car.

I'm a November 21, Mine off the top of my head was £260 a month, 3 months upfront, £250 cashback, Free charger(Yer right), Free 1st year insurance and 10,000 miles a year, So was the grant included in that or was the November orders pre grant money.

What I find amazing is just how disingenuous Vanarama have been, I've come to the conclusion that they have absolutely no idea what so ever when they are getting the cars in, Yet still continue to give updated times.
Dose anybody here believe that there cars with any certainty will turn up Mar/Apr next year, I don't, And I don't think they do, But they still seem happy telling people it's fine to hang on until then.
They seem to have anyone that has had the charger installed by the balls, And it wasn't free as I had to have a breaker put in, On top of that I'm not paying over 350 quid or more for a bloody Chinese built MG, It was my first lease because it was cheap, If I'm going up to £350 I may as well go up to 400 quid and get a proper car.
Has anyone been sent revised figures yet? I know one chap was sent a figure that when multiplied by 36 months came to £3k so more than the lost value of the grant.

Also, given the point that no one, even MG UK knows for sure when the car will be built, if it happens to be delivered earlier and within the 12 month grant window, will they revert the contract back to the original 'with grant' price.

Finally, is it right that the end customer meets the entire lost grant value of £2.5k anyway!

I'm a November 21, Mine off the top of my head was £260 a month, 3 months upfront, £250 cashback, Free charger(Yer right), Free 1st year insurance and 10,000 miles a year, So was the grant included in that or was the November orders pre grant money.
What model was that for?

The agreement from Hitachi says the following:

You maybe aware of the global shortage of computer chips which has resulted in delays in the production of vehicles and
caused manufacturers to refuse to guarantee that the vehicle price will not change between the time we order the vehicle and
when we pay for and take delivery of the vehicle. We calculate the rental amount based on the quoted price of the vehicle at
the time we order the vehicle. If the manufacturer increases the quoted price, we will pass that increase on to you by increasing
the rental amount. If you do not want to pay the increased amount, we will terminate the Hire Agreement at no cost to you.

Please see clause 2.2 of the Hire Agreement for more information.

Seems like they are within their right to increase the price.

It just dawned on me that I originally went to the Vanarama deal from a link in This thread, Was just wondering if anyone that went for the LeaseLoco deal has had there car.

SE LR, The bottom spec one.

You maybe aware of the global shortage of computer chips which has resulted in delays in the production of vehicles and
caused manufacturers to refuse to guarantee that the vehicle price will not change between the time we order the vehicle and
when we pay for and take delivery of the vehicle. We calculate the rental amount based on the quoted price of the vehicle at
the time we order the vehicle. If the manufacturer increases the quoted price, we will pass that increase on to you by increasing
the rental amount. If you do not want to pay the increased amount, we will terminate the Hire Agreement at no cost to you.

BUT the manufacturer hasn't increased the price of the vehicle. Losing the grant is a different scenario as the manufacturer were not offering the grant but the government. So the price paid to MG is the same regardless.

HOWEVER, my Nov 2021 Hitachi agreement states this in section 2.2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.2 The sums payable under this Agreement have been calculated on the assumptions that there will be no change in: the estimated purchase price of the Vehicle quoted by the manufacturer or supplier at the time we placed the order for the Vehicle, import duty, tax law or practice or the rates of taxation or capital allowances or any other change which adversely affects our net after tax rate of return on our investment in the Vehicle. If these assumptions are or become incorrect and we have not delivered the Vehicle to you, you may terminate this Agreement; or if you wish to take delivery of the Vehicle, we will be entitled to increase the Rentals to compensate us
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The above one could I guess include the loss of government grant, and I also note that they use the phrase "YOU may terminate" as opposed to "WE will terminate". That could mean the difference between paying for the charger or not.

@MG ONE - I wonder does your contract not have a section 2.2. the same as mine. What date is your contract?

So when did the price go up, Cos I ordered the car in November, But people are saying that someone, Whoever the hell it is ordered the cars in January, So I would want to know when my car was ordered.

So Vanarama are quoting build/delivery times for June 2022 orders to be the same as November 2021 orders. It's almost like they or MG have reset the clock on all orders placed to date.

I'd be interested to know the monthly price, upfront payment and mileage allowance for latter orders that were not ever subject to the grant for comparison purposes against the revised figure those that had the grant are now getting.
Mine is 1x 47 @ £399 for 15KPA + free charger
Obvs didn't get the grant
Novuna which is Hitachi has the same clauses. But doesn't mention chip shortages , just changes in price or extended lead times.
Both parties can terminate for those reasons

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom