• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Vanarama Issues

Those of you justifiably upset at the situation we find ourselves in may be forgiven for wanting to lash out at someone, but I advise you to read the rules regarding libellous comments and please ensure that you respond fairly and reasonably to the comments by the CEO of Vanarama above.
Everyone with a need to purchase a car (new or used), use petrol, diesel, electricity or gas, or who eats food has been affected by the global manufacturing, energy and food crisis caused largely by that scum bag Putin and should perhaps target him and support Ukraine with your energy instead.
Seems to me that Vanarama, just like all the other automotive manufacturers, dealers, leasing agents etc. would prefer to have smooth transactions with people where vehicles are delivered on time and on budget.

I think it is great that Andy Alderson is taking the time to give us a clear picture of the situation on a public forum. I can't think of many CEO's that would do this. I think it's great to have a communication channel coming direct from the "horse's mouth", only criticism is that it has been a long time coming, but hey it's here now.

Personally I hope the grants are extended as that money would have already been set aside, and it would be churlish of the government office responsible not to extend the 12 months in the current climate of delays.

Good morning

I Just want to clarify a few points and provide further context.

Clearly I wont be able to address every individual customer situation but I’ll attempt to give further clarity

Firstly, we do not lie to customers. We may have unintentionally given, what turned out to be inaccurate information, but only based on information that was available to us at the time. This is true in this situation and in others, where we have had manufacturers suffer from similar supply chain issues leading to significant and in some cases multiple delays.

Manufacturers typically get their business from 4 channels. Retail ( Dealers) Big Fleet (corporations) Daily Rental and Intermediaries like us which get classed as small fleet as vehicles are registered to the relevant Lease CO’s.

In this case, at some point, MG realised that they could not satisfy all of their orders for these vehicles, and had to make decisions on who to let down.

Obviously they don’t want to let anyone down. In this case, it was one bad call to us ( and other similar businesses), rather than them making hundreds of individual calls. That was left to us.

I’m not knocking them for this, as every one of their sales channels have been affected, and they were caught between a rock and a hard place.They’re a good partner dealing with really challenging circumstances.

There may be a cost element to this too, as we do get some discount because of the volume we do, but not a lot in this market of short supply.

In reality MG are getting a very small proportion of vehicles ordered, actually delivered to the UK in time. And because of the state of the supply chain vehicles are turning up at random times completely out of sync with when they were ordered.

We’ve seen this across all manufacturers, with productions lines literally being halted, while a missing part is put on back order, then having to be reinserted back into a production line out of sequence. Which means even factories like the highly automated and supremely efficient German plants, needing manual processes to augment automated ones. Yes people with clipboards trying to find vehicles with missing parts that came off productions lines weeks and sometimes months earlier.

What It does mean, is that you are seeing customers who ordered via dealers later than they ordered via us, having earlier dates for delivery confirmed. Obviously that does make things look like we are not given accurate information, which is not helpful and I can understand why many of you are frustrated. As a customer I would be too.

As for Greenhous they are the official fleet and rental PDI centre for MG Shropshire Greenhous PDI Centre wins new MG contract

They take and process orders with MG from Fleet, Rental and Intermediaries etc. then take care of PDI and delivery to the end customer.

I am very confident that we (and them) processed the orders on time, we have that process baked in and automated.

The difference in prices being quoted is primarily the impact of the Grant which we ( along with the BVRLA) are trying to sort. What the lease CO’s are able to do in terms of their rates, is something we are working with them on, and we our doing our best to get clarity on as quickly as possible.
Residual Values have not yet been positively adjusted by lease CO’s, at least not in a way that is noticeable. if by the time we get nearer to delivery that does happen then the benefit of that will be reflected in the lease prices quoted. The challenge here is that any benefit of that MAY be eroded by rising interest rates. It‘s a complex situation to resolve but we are trying hard to resolve it.

We are not trying to “run down the clock”, that couldn’t be further from the truth. We don’t earn anything until a vehicle is delivered, and this isn’t the first( far from it) of these types of situations we have had to deal with across various manufacturers. We have incurred huge costs, installing chargers across the country in anticipation of vehicles being delivered( you’ll have done your research and know how much home chargers cost) . That’s not your problem, but it surely shows how important it is to us, to deliver these vehicles as soon as possible.

It is a s****y situation for all concerned, and I really am sorry for the problems this is causing many of you. It is our intent to do all we can to sort this situation as soon as possible, and deliver vehicles as promised.

We will keep you informed as soon as we have more (relatable) information.

Have a good weekend

Andy Alderson
Vanarama
Thank you for this, it is appreciated.

Still a few of questions unanswered, So straight from the horses mouth, What are people's options.
If we cancel do we owe for the charger, If we hold on for another 7-8 months are you actually going to charge in some cases an extra £70 for waiting near on a year and half for the car, And can you even say hand on heart the cars will be here in the spring.
If we have to pay for the charger then the only way of getting out of that is to wait for a car to turn up at some point maybe next year.
So what do people do now, The ones that are keeping old cars going or having to hand back lease cars.

Thank you for setting up this thread. I had been posting on the Shipping Uodates forum but this seems much more appropriate!

I haven't received a call from Vanarama yet telling me my monthly rental has increased. I assume its 'in the post'.

I ordered in Nov 21, on the Black Friday deal like the majority of people on here. I'm ineligible for the free insurance apparently so at least I won't miss out on that if I cancel. But having the charger already installed does leave me in a quandary.

I would like to exit this contract, but I can't as I'll be liable for the cost of the charger.

My right to cancel is clear and has been an option for some time now since the estimated delivery date has been massively breached, and now, it seems, so has the quoted price.

There's not much I can do other than wait and accept this trap that I find myself in.
I'm sympathetic to Vanarama's position, but that sympathy only extends so far. I would expect Vanarama to provide more options than I currently have such as to provide hefty discounts or cashback on a different deal.

That would alleviate the supply issues they face and make an unhappy customer marginally less so.

I've left a trust pilot review. I'll happily alter it if the situation improves

Folks who ordered in November, have cancelled but have already had the charger installed. What are you being charged for it?

Contemplating what to do when I eventually get the dreaded notification.

There was someone on the Shipping Updates forum who said they'd cancelled and had the charger installed. I don't think they'd mentioned the charger and were just waiting to see what happens!

There was someone on the Shipping Updates forum who said they'd cancelled and had the charger installed. I don't think they'd mentioned the charger and were just waiting to see what happens!
That might have been me. Having been told on Wednesday last that my order was being put back another 8 months I decided to cancel. I have informed Vanarama Customer Services by email and have received an acknowledgement but I am still awaiting confirmation that the order has been cancelled. My timeline is as follows:
Ordered ZS Trophy LR last November with advertised delivery of 15-20 weeks.
In February I received a call informing me that my car was due in the country on April 7th and the dealership was Greenhaus of Shrewsbury. (I have since found out that they are not an MG dealership or a even a new car dealership. They apparently only deal in used cars).
On the basis that my car was due in April I organised the installation of my charge point through Vanarama’s sub contractor, Charged EV. The charge point was installed on March 4th after I had spent about £340 having an isolation switch fitted to my meter box which my network provider said wasn’t necessary.
Approximately 10 days later Vanarama call and said my car was not coming and the new date was September. There was no other explanation as to why the car wasn’t coming.
Having received Wednesday’s news I decided I had had enough and sent the cancellation email. There was no mention of increased prices but I know others have been told this is the case and the recent statement from Vanarama CEO seems to confirm that.
On Thursday I went to my local MG dealership who had in their showroom, an MG5 Exclusive, (cancelled order). I will be picking that up next week.

I also got a charger fitted through charge ev, I had to dig up my garden to run a pipe to where I wanted my charger fitted. If vanarama decide to increase or even cancel my order I’ll bill them for my services.I also had to get a separate isolation switch fitted .

Exactly the same position as many here. Ordered in march and went to great lengths to get my charger installed. I do wonder if they can legally make you pay for the charger when they are changing the terms of the initial contract by increasing the monthly rental price?

Just counter charge them £1000 rental for storage of their equipment.

Then they can come and de-install it, but charge them for any damage, or signs it was ever there. I would not be paying for it, that is for sure.

They will need the home owners consent to enter your property to disconnect the wall box and return the house wiring to its pre installed condition.
Some EV installs, require breaking into your meter tails to grab a supply if your CU is full or not suitable for a EV charger to be connected to it.
This situation over grabbing the wall boxes back, could get a bit spiteful and nasty.

Vanarama will probably bill us for the pleasure of getting the electricians to take it out. What will do do with say 200 second hand chargers 😂

Surely no one needs a second hand charger? As this is already installed, there was a government grant on them when installed i believe. So how is that going to work out

Has anyone actually cancelled with vanarama and know what they’re plans are for the chargers ect

I haven't cancelled yet, but seriously considering it out of principle, I am shopping around. Also word of warning, please check the price increases as well, they wanted to charge me £83.33 extra a month over 36 months (£83.33 x 36 months = £3000). I am losing out on the £2500 grant and challenged them on why they want to charge me an extra £3k, I quickly got a call to say that it was a mistake or oversight (as always). I was told this will be rectified and should only be charged £2500.

It wouldn't be £83.33 over 36 months as I assume you would be paying at least a few months up front, If it was over 36 then they really would be trying it on.
So has anybody had them even offer to meet halfway or are they just saying they want to pass on the £2500 to us and keep there profit.
I would think they were making some profit on the original deal so find it even more amazing that they haven't even offered to swallow there profit, Or at least some of there profit and split the cost.

Last edited:
I certainly welcome the input from Andy @ Vanarama .He is in an unenviable situation and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.,
One thing I would say Is that I hope that when my Sales exec comes back from his holiday that I get a call updating me on the situation with my car as Vanarama sees it.
I have called Greenhous and my order is not on their system so it looks like another dealer is supplying my car.
I have no loyalty to either MG or Vanarama but the latter's service has been good so far.
My main reason for Choosing the MG via Vanarama was financial as I suspect it was for a lot for people on here. If that is no longer to be the case I'll rethink everything.
However, I still want to go down the electric route so I would like to be given alternatives to the MG as my current lease expires in November, And if it's be quicker to get the alternative then it may be goodbye to MG, Unless an MG 4 would arrive sooner.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom