Vehicle to Load (V2L) - Any Information or First Hand Experiences?

It’s V2L. All the playing you do will not make it 100% secure and safe as a V2G/H system.

It’s official limit is 2.2kW, so you would would have to disable everything that used a lot of power in your home.
The only things that pull more than 2.2kW are the oven and shower the rest don’t add up to 2.2 all together and I’m not suggesting trying to make V2L into V2H just to be able to switch to the car if there’s a power cut rather than a spaghetti of extension cables. Just wondered if it was possible/ advisable 😊

Possible, Yes.

Hard and expensive to do properly. The question is whether it is worth it for what is currently a rare and short event for most people.
Almost impossible to sort out a safe ground. Sure there are experts that can advise, but it is V2L where you plug a device into a socket that is on the end of a lead connected to the car. It is not intended to be a cheap shortcut for V2H. How often do we see power failures in the UK? Since moving into out home nearly a decade ago we have seen none. If there was one then I have an extension lead that I can plug important things like the fridge and freezer into, as well as the less important broadband router, TV and SKY units. We use low wattage LED lamps, so these could also be powered.

Of course, people will try :)

Almost impossible to sort out a safe ground. Sure there are experts that can advise, but it is V2L where you plug a device into a socket that is on the end of a lead connected to the car. It is not intended to be a cheap shortcut for V2H. How often do we see power failures in the UK? Since moving into out home nearly a decade ago we have seen none. If there was one then I have an extension lead that I can plug important things like the fridge and freezer into, as well as the less important broadband router, TV and SKY units. We use low wattage LED lamps, so these could also be powered.

Of course, people will try :)
"How often do we see power failures in the UK?" Ask again next year...

"How often do we see power failures in the UK?" Ask again next year...
So you think we will get power cuts next year?

Only 1% of UK electricity is imported. Only 4% of the gas supply to the UK comes (came) from Russia. The biggest gas supplier to the UK is Norway who provide about 350TWh, with Qatar next providing around 76TWh.

As a side note: EDF energy prices in France have risen by 4%. Why are we in the UK seeing massive energy price increases from French owned energy supply companies?

The only things that pull more than 2.2kW are the oven and shower the rest don’t add up to 2.2 all together and I’m not suggesting trying to make V2L into V2H just to be able to switch to the car if there’s a power cut rather than a spaghetti of extension cables. Just wondered if it was possible/ advisable 😊
Just thought I'd see how much I could run off 2.2kW. Microwave = 900W, kettle = 2.2kW - ooops already over the limit :(. Could possibly make cups of tea and microwave my ready meal later I suppose.

Make the tea and ready meal in the mwave
Just thought I'd see how much I could run off 2.2kW. Microwave = 900W, kettle = 2.2kW - ooops already over the limit :(. Could possibly make cups of tea and microwave my ready meal later I suppose.
I can run a microwave and 1kw kettle off my truck inverter

Yes
Only 1% of UK electricity is imported. Only 4% of the gas supply to the UK comes (came) from Russia. The biggest gas supplier to the UK is Norway who provide about 350TWh, with Qatar next providing around 76TWh.
That's all in the past. The UK believes in the free market and will sell anything to the highest bidder. That includes all gas, which increasingly is "just passing through". Our nuclear capacity is dropping all of the time and will not be replaced for 10+ years. We need to dramatically reduce consumption to have any chance, but instead we seem to be setting policies to encourage consumption.
As a side note: EDF energy prices in France have risen by 4%. Why are we in the UK seeing massive energy price increases from French owned energy supply companies?
EDF were forced to keep to that level of increase, and are being nationalised to stop the other shareholders suing. They also have more than twice our nuclear capacity.

EDF were forced to keep to that level of increase, and are being nationalised to stop the other shareholders suing. They also have more than twice our nuclear capacity.

The French Government limited the rise they impose on their French customers. The British Government has no such view and has let the suppliers have free rein to raise prices to any level they want. So French owned EDF gets to charge what they want to UK customers.

The ridiculous idea of buying a £20 kettle to save £10 on your £3500 electric bill shows how out of touch some in Government have become.

Anyway, off topic now :)

Last edited:

I should clarify what I mean. We are already being softened up for warnings like this:

California power officials put out a plea: Shut it down at 4 p.m. to protect the grid

And being British that'll encourage panic buying (consumption).

Off our trolleys: what stockpiling in the coronavirus crisis reveals about us

Most people will not be topping up batteries but it will result in people cooking and heating earlier "while they still can" hence concentrating demand and increasing the problem. Much like those people who bought 6 months of loo rolls in case of a shortage.

I should clarify what I mean. We are already being softened up for warnings like this:

California power officials put out a plea: Shut it down at 4 p.m. to protect the grid

And being British that'll encourage panic buying (consumption).

Off our trolleys: what stockpiling in the coronavirus crisis reveals about us

Most people will not be topping up batteries but it will result in people cooking and heating earlier "while they still can" hence concentrating demand and increasing the problem. Much like those people who bought 6 months of loo rolls in case of a shortage.
I bought half a dozen garden hose, ready for the hosepipe ban. :)

The male whale recognized it as the same ship that had harpooned his father many years earlier.

He said to the female whale, "Let's both swim under the ship and blow out of our air holes at the same time and it should cause the ship to turn over and sink”.

They tried it and sure enough, the ship turned over and quickly sank.

Soon, however, the whales realized the sailors had jumped overboard and were swimming to the safety of the shore.

The male was enraged that they were going to get away and told the female "let's swim after them and gobble them up before they reach the shore."

At this point, he realized the female was becoming reluctant to follow him.

"Look", she said, "I went along with the blow job, but I absolutely refuse to swallow the seamen."

Thank you for this information, I know I am probably on the wrong section of the community but have you any ideas above V2L for the new MG VZ EV. I have purchased a two-way extension lead from AliExpress, it plugs into the car ok (with the idea to have 240volts standby for this coming winter), but on trying it today there is no output.

[ Edited Coulomb: Moved here from the Charging With a Tesla Charger thread. ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for this information, I know I am probably on the wrong section of the community but have you any ideas above V2L for the new MG VZ EV. I have purchased a two-way extension lead from AliExpress, it plugs into the car ok (with the idea to have 240volts standby for this coming winter), but on trying it today there is no output.
It may have the incorrect resistor inside. When you plug it in you need to go to the main screen and select the discharge page. I will post some info up later today.

It's probably got the wrong resistor on the Pilot Lead. Should be a 470 ohm. It's easy enough to change.

David, which one did you buy from AliExpress?
One thing I would suggest, I hope you don't mind, Be careful using these as you will be using un-earthed mains voltage.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom