Vehicle to Load (V2L) - Any Information or First Hand Experiences?

Think the V2L limit is 2.2kw ish 10amp is 2.4 kW
A 13amp limit would of been more useful

Last edited:
The charging model of uk version: input 230v 32A which does not support 3 phase 11kw charger.

ouput 230-450v 22A hence there is a 230v regulator inside V2L plug
That makes sense. The adapter cable will probably be specific to the car manufacturer.

output 230-450v 22A hence there is a 230v regulator inside V2L plug
The 230 VAC would be generated inside the bidirectional on-board "charger", which would become an inverter when generating AC. I think the 450 V is the maximum DC it can generate when in charge mode.

There would not be a 230 V regulator inside the V2L plug; that would require bulky electronics and cooling.

By my reading, it might be possible to provide up to 22 A @ 230 VAC, or around 5 kW. Maybe they limit it to 10ish amps to simplify the plugs.

Edit: thanks for posting the photo of the sticker.

Btw, 178 A @ 14 V should charge the auxiliary battery pretty quickly, and power many pumps etc.

there can only be passive elements, one or two resistors, they set the voltage and load current to the internal unit.

In a few years time V2L will be old hat, let's face it, it has limited use. EV's of the future will almost certainly be capable of V2H (vehicle to home) which I think it is a better option than V2G being trialed by Octopus. Turn your car in to a home storage system. Can't see the utility companies offering much in the way of cheap rates though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrew Till has just posted this on his channel.

Let's hope MG get their adaptor sorted soon.

Just watched the video - brilliant !.
The ZS EV LR face lift has this facility ( when the adaptor arrives ).
I am saving up all of my pocket money, in order to hopefully purchase one !.

I am wondering if the Hyundai/Kia adapter will work.

Also, didn't know the IONIQ had a solar roof! Could probably keep his fridge etc. running for days on that. 😯

Thanks for the news :-(. The reason it won’t work ?
The car has to support it and the plug will be configured to work with that car. I imagine in time after market versions will come out once they've worked out the correct signalling etc. but again only if the car can support it.

The video mentions it’s not supported in cars that don’t have 2 way capability. The new ZS EV does have this.

In a few years time V2L will be old hat, let's face it, it has limited use. EV's of the future will almost certainly be capable of V2H (vehicle to home) which I think it is a better option than V2G being trialed by Octopus. Turn your car in to a home storage system. Can't see the utility companies offering much in the way of cheap rates though.
i commented on his video with the same thing in mind. its the future imo.

I hope in the future we can all use our cars in lieu of fixed home storage. Much larger battery to help with bills. Charge the car from solar, or off peak and use a portion of its battery to power the car during more expensive times. 70kw+ of potential energy as opposed to around 10kw for mid to large sized home storage systems. So much potential for the grid as a whole. Biggest downside to renewables is their intermittency. Let's solve that too!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom