Vehicle to Load (V2L) - Any Information or First Hand Experiences?

Possibly easier if you read this than me trying to explain it :

Really interesting. I had considered the inverter attached to 12v battery route (with HV battery switched in too of course) but was worried about about damaging the 12v battery.

Really interesting. I had considered the inverter attached to 12v battery route (with HV battery switched in too of course) but was worried about about damaging the 12v battery.
You should be okay with MG ZS EV, though you will reduce your 12V battery life. Also consider that 10 Amps at 240V (2.4kW) through a 12V to 240V inverter would mean your 12V battery would be operating at a continuous 200 Amps ! You are going to need some serious cabling from the battery to your inverter.

If all you want is to run some led lights in your tent and charge up your eBike battery you should be fine. Anything else, then go the approved V2L route.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
But that's not V2L, it's V2G and they are very different. V2L couldn't be used to augment your home supply, but V2G (which is what Octopus and others are trialling) can be. Although similarly named, and using the same base components (the car, it's battery and the input/export port), they are fundamentally different and not interchangeable. There are possibly others, but the only vehicle I know of that currently can support V2G is the Nissan Leaf.

As you say, storage batteries are small and expensive compared to those in an EV - if V2G worked it could be argued that it's cheaper to buy an old Leaf and just use that than smaller, expensive backup battery packs/powerwalls.
I’ve thought of the leaf idea. Much cheaper than a power wall and an emergency 2nd car!

Many Chinese brand EVs have V2L function. The plug is about £50 in china. Basically it is an extension lead which can plug into the EV. I am going to buy one and have a try ( hair dryer, kettle, small induction cooker, microwave oven)
for anyone interested in V2L gun. I have received my extension lead. MG ZS recognized v2l gun once plugged in. I have tried my pressure cooker without problem. total cost including express delivery in 2 weeks around 100 pounds

Attachments

• IMG_20220311_124203.jpg
    IMG_20220311_124203.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_20220311_125605.jpg
    IMG_20220311_125605.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_20220311_125548.jpg
    IMG_20220311_125548.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_20220311_125614.jpg
    IMG_20220311_125614.jpg
    807.9 KB · Views: 213
V2L is a complete gimmick, I just can't see where it would be of much, or any value in the real world. Many of the car companies are promoting it to use when one goes camping - for the price of those adapters it's possible to buy a low-end solar generator and for around a hundred euros more add the portable panels (so don't need to recharge from mains) to give you far more flexibility than having to be within a few feet of the car (and compromising the range by using up your battery).

For example: 89.94£ |500w/peak 1000w portable power station 568Wh 153600mah Outdoor camping generator lithium battery (100w solar panel Optional )|Solar Battery Chargers & Charging Kits| - AliExpress

I'm sure there will be people for whom V2L will solve world hunger, but unless the adapters are sensibly priced, I can't see how this will really take off or be of use for anyone.
Would this portable power station have any potential (!) as a charger for the EV, equipped of course with enough solar panels to keep it topped up?

In a few years time V2L will be old hat, let's face it, it has limited use. EV's of the future will almost certainly be capable of V2H (vehicle to home) which I think it is a better option than V2G being trialed by Octopus. Turn your car in to a home storage system. Can't see the utility companies offering much in the way of cheap rates though.
I'm not sure just how economical it would be to continually cycle your EV battery to power your house.

I'm not sure just how economical it would be to continually cycle your EV battery to power your house.
Agree, but by the time it is achievable I'm sure battery tech will have moved on considerably and there'll be no problem cycling them and fully charging/discharging as many times as you like. Time will tell.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Would this portable power station have any potential (!) as a charger for the EV, equipped of course with enough solar panels to keep it topped up?
Yes, but it would be an absolute 'I've totally run out of power' moment, even the biggest ones would only give you a few miles at most.

Someone posted a video of exactly this the other week, but I can't seem to find it at the moment, perhaps another user knows where it is?

Where did you order yours from?
I bought from a factory in China. It is chinese spec product which need adaptor. I think EU spec can be made if there is MOQ eg. 100 pcs It will be around £60 each plus delivery. If ordered in bulk the delivery cost should be around £15 each

I bought from a factory in China. It is chinese spec product which need adaptor. I think EU spec can be made if there is MOQ eg. 100 pcs It will be around £60 each plus delivery. If ordered in bulk the delivery cost should be around £15 each
I did notice the plug - my immediate thoughts were that it was an Australian one.

So I'm getting a ZS EV in Portugal and I was quoted €490 (c. £415) for the V2L!!! You can imagine my reply!! They are likely to be made available through other vendors at more reasonable prices in time. Certainly something to put on the wishlist and wait, imho!

I also asked about the granny cable.... I'm getting it form EVonestop instead, as they are about €60 cheaper.

Last edited:
So I'm getting a ZS EV in Portugal and I was quoted €490 (c. £415) for the V2L!!! You can imagine my reply!! They are likely to be made available through other vendors at more reasonable prices in time. Certainly something to put on the wishlist and wait, imho!

I also asked about the granny cable.... I'm getting it form EVonestop instead, as they are about €60 cheaper.
I’ve just purchased one on Alibaba for £50. Will take a while to arrive - but should beat everyone’s new ZS EVs :) Anyway. If it doesn’t work I won’t have lost much.

78AC0674-FF70-4781-B958-3A00DD643931.jpeg

I’ve just purchased one on Alibaba for £50. Will take a while to arrive - but should beat everyone’s new ZS EVs :) Anyway. If it doesn’t work I won’t have lost much.

View attachment 7442
That's a much more sensible price (more or less in line with the component cost if one was to try and build it one's self, perhaps even cheaper). I like that it has a universal plug too, so will work with US, EU and UK plugs (as we have devices that use all of those!)

Are you happy to share the link?

It seems to be somewhat random - dealers here in France are quoting anything between "not available yet" to €200-€400, so there is clearly a bunch of profit in there as well :cautious:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom