Vehicle to Load (V2L) - Any Information or First Hand Experiences?

It should work with the mg as it uses the same iso 15118-1:2019 protocol
I would agree. It uses the same mennekes connector, so there is no cabling issue. I will see if I can find one to try.

The charging model of uk version: input 230v 32A which does not support 3 phase 11kw charger.

ouput 230-450v 22A hence there is a 230v regulator inside V2L plug
That's the DC output to the battery (230-450V 22A MAX). It has the DC symbol next to it.
To coax AC out of the charger, there will be a VERY specific protocol probably sent into the CP input.
It looks like a small amount of power can be pulled from the PP pin (connected to 5V via a 300 ohm resistor inside the car). The V2L adapter/cable may therefore contain a microcontroller to produce this signal.
All guesswork at this stage, but I will certainly take my V2L cable apart to see how it works as soon as I get it.

Last edited:
V2L is a complete gimmick, I just can't see where it would be of much, or any value in the real world. Many of the car companies are promoting it to use when one goes camping - for the price of those adapters it's possible to buy a low-end solar generator and for around a hundred euros more add the portable panels (so don't need to recharge from mains) to give you far more flexibility than having to be within a few feet of the car (and compromising the range by using up your battery).

For example: 89.94£ |500w/peak 1000w portable power station 568Wh 153600mah Outdoor camping generator lithium battery (100w solar panel Optional )|Solar Battery Chargers & Charging Kits| - AliExpress

I'm sure there will be people for whom V2L will solve world hunger, but unless the adapters are sensibly priced, I can't see how this will really take off or be of use for anyone.
That was our thoughts. We done a DIY V2L but hardly use it.

V2L is a complete gimmick, I just can't see where it would be of much, or any value in the real world. Many of the car companies are promoting it to use when one goes camping - for the price of those adapters it's possible to buy a low-end solar generator and for around a hundred euros more add the portable panels (so don't need to recharge from mains) to give you far more flexibility than having to be within a few feet of the car (and compromising the range by using up your battery).

For example: 89.94£ |500w/peak 1000w portable power station 568Wh 153600mah Outdoor camping generator lithium battery (100w solar panel Optional )|Solar Battery Chargers & Charging Kits| - AliExpress

I'm sure there will be people for whom V2L will solve world hunger, but unless the adapters are sensibly priced, I can't see how this will really take off or be of use for anyone.
Ummmm…. Solar system or generator that can offer 2.5kW output with 68kWh battery storage system. Go and cost one up.

In a power failure at home plug in your essential items - you know, like your broadband router, TV, fridge, even a small kettle.Keep your phone charged up. Run it all from your car for a day until the power comes back on.

Oh, and with the generator don’t forget to go and and buy lots of cans of petrol.

Ummmm…. Solar system or generator that can offer 2.5kW output with 68kWh battery storage system. Go and cost one up.

In a power failure at home plug in your essential items - you know, like your broadband router, TV, fridge, even a small kettle.Keep your phone charged up. Run it all from your car for a day until the power comes back on.

Oh, and with the generator don’t forget to go and and buy lots of cans of petrol.
OK, challenge accepted, lol.
I'd love to see you use 2.5kW of power from a real life V2L situation, I'd also love to see the cable you run from the car into your home and then to the devices you suggest above (one would assume that you moved the fridge and kettle into the same room as the TV, router etc.?) - this is not a realistic use for V2L, perhaps you are confusing it with V2H?
V2L is designed for 'out and about' uses such as charging electric bikes, scoots, perhaps for devices such as a coffee machine and lights when camping etc., not for powering your house during a powercut.
Lastly, solar generators do not use petrol, they use the sun (or leccy) to charge, the 'generator' part if the product type name is a bit of a misnomer ;)

OK, challenge accepted, lol.
I'd love to see you use 2.5kW of power from a real life V2L situation, I'd also love to see the cable you run from the car into your home and then to the devices you suggest above (one would assume that you moved the fridge and kettle into the same room as the TV, router etc.?) - this is not a realistic use for V2L, perhaps you are confusing it with V2H?
V2L is designed for 'out and about' uses such as charging electric bikes, scoots, perhaps for devices such as a coffee machine and lights when camping etc., not for powering your house during a powercut.
Lastly, solar generators do not use petrol, they use the sun (or leccy) to charge, the 'generator' part if the product type name is a bit of a misnomer ;)
Hi,

I have perfectly adequate extension cables for the purpose with multiple sockets.

Not thinking of V2H or V2G which would allow me to run the same but without so much cabling and plugging/unplugging if the additional hardware was setup in the house. V2G/H is great if your house has a few kW of solar panels and battery storage as it can add the batteries of the car to the system.

Portable solar panels produce almost nothing in the way of power unless they are huge. We have a 150W panel on our caravan that tops up our dual 12V 130Ah battery system that has a 3kW 240V inverter. The solar panel is huge and can only delivery a maximum of 150W, okay for topping up a leisure battery but not much else.

In an emergency the V2L is very useful in the house for running the fridge and broadband router and tv and lamps and for connecting a small kettle. Yes there are other ways of doing it, but the car is there with 2.5kW of power and potentially 68kWh of stored energy.

For the cost of a V2L adaptor and an extension lead it has to be a better solution than carrying around solar panels and a solar “generator” to achieve the same thing?

Maybe this is what you mean?

215B6522-830D-4190-A858-8936F9C29BD6.jpeg

1500Wh storage.

A lot more expensive that the connector, and nowhere near as much energy storage. The 120W solar panel would need around 2 days to charge the “generator”

Just my take on it.

Last edited:
Worth a look ..

Perhaps I should add that using your 12V car battery as a power source for V2L is not sensible and longer term will kill your battery. Unless like the ZS EV it has an AGM battery :)

Also worth a look..

Last edited:
Worth a look ..

Perhaps I should add that using your 12V car battery as a power source for V2L is not sensible and longer term will kill your battery. Unless like the ZS EV it has an AGM battery :)

Also worth a look..

@Dave can you explain a bit more about the AGM battery comment

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom