Vehicle to Load (V2L) - Any Information or First Hand Experiences?

V2L is a complete gimmick, I just can't see where it would be of much, or any value in the real world. Many of the car companies are promoting it to use when one goes camping - for the price of those adapters it's possible to buy a low-end solar generator and for around a hundred euros more add the portable panels (so don't need to recharge from mains) to give you far more flexibility than having to be within a few feet of the car (and compromising the range by using up your battery).

For example: 89.94£ |500w/peak 1000w portable power station 568Wh 153600mah Outdoor camping generator lithium battery (100w solar panel Optional )|Solar Battery Chargers & Charging Kits| - AliExpress

I'm sure there will be people for whom V2L will solve world hunger, but unless the adapters are sensibly priced, I can't see how this will really take off or be of use for anyone.

I hope V2L isn't a gimmick. I have an off-grid capable PV system (which I make use of more often than not) and I'm hoping that I can plug a ZS (with or without other gubbins) into the generator socket of my inverter so that I can charge up the battery in December. This would mean I wouldn't need the "safety net" of the grid and can say "goodbye" to my little used electricity provider.

I hope V2L isn't a gimmick. I have an off-grid capable PV system (which I make use of more often than not) and I'm hoping that I can plug a ZS (with or without other gubbins) into the generator socket of my inverter so that I can charge up the battery in December. This would mean I wouldn't need the "safety net" of the grid and can say "goodbye" to my little used electricity provider.
Don't forget though that the ZS only supplies 2.5 kW.

Very interesting, I will have a 2022 MG5 but I'm not sure that's the model they're talking about 🤣

Great news for new ZS owners though 👍🏻

I have ordered the 3m double socket cable type, it should be here tomorrow !.

Greatly appreciated - just ordered the double socket one.

Last edited:
nice find :)

Greatly appreciated - just ordered the double socket one.
When (if) my car eventually arrives, I will be ordering a charging and discharging cable from them I think. Also, I might order from Amazon, a 10 metre extension lead to run to the house, with surge protection built in. Just in case. :)

Blimey. Glad I ordered this morning, saved about £40 there

Edit - actually more like £60. That's a hell of rise.

Last edited:
Sadly I'd say there's a bunch of profiteering going on here - this was 120€ this morning, now nearly €183 :eek:

Screenshot 2022-03-29 at 16.55.43.png

Don't forget though that the ZS only supplies 2.5 kW.
This isnt technically correct.

The New MG ZS LR is capable of providing max load up to 2.5kW, but this is basically load from the number of appliances plugged in at any given time.

From what I've seen it will allow you to discharge the majority of the battery, so a lot more thank 2.5kW. You can set the discharge percentage like you do the charge range.

if you goto about 8:00 on the attached video you'll see what I mean.

This isnt technically correct.

The New MG ZS LR is capable of providing max load up to 2.5kW, but this is basically load from the number of appliances plugged in at any given time.

From what I've seen it will allow you to discharge the majority of the battery, so a lot more thank 2.5kW. You can set the discharge percentage like you do the charge range.

if you goto about 8:00 on the attached video you'll see what I mean.
I think you are confusing kW (power) with kWh (energy). The battery holds around 70 kWh but the inverter has a maximum power rating of 2.5 kW. If you try to plug in appliances that draw more than 2.5 kW, the circuit breaker will trip.

I think you are confusing kW (power) with kWh (energy). The battery holds around 70 kWh but the inverter has a maximum power rating of 2.5 kW. If you try to plug in appliances that draw more than 2.5 kW, the circuit breaker will trip.
Yes exactly. My plan is to use V2L to charge my ecoflow Delta Pro solar generator if required when camping. With 72kWH of energy within the MG, that’s enough to recharge the Delta Pro many times over. The Delta Pro accepts 240 volts.

Last edited:
Sorry thats my mistake,

From the original post thought you were implying that you could only use 2.5kWh of the battery and not the load. but thanks for clarify it too as I originally thought you could only use 2.5kWh’s up until i saw the video. I wonder if there is a discharge limit though on the v2l/discharge side but cant seem to find anything. I imagine it might have a buffer so you can still drive the car instead of cooking your 🍲

Edit - actually more like £60. That's a hell of rise.
I ordered a 3 Metre double socket outlet cable, on Friday 25th March.
It was £109.44 including VAT & P+P.
I have just checked the price again ( Tuesday 29th March ) and it is now £136.80 inc VAT & P+P.
An increase of £27.36 in just a couple of days.
Like anything else really, when interest increases, so does the price !.
There should be a MG plug available at some time, but it is rumoured to cost around £200 !.
I had an idea this may happen as the orders increased, so I jumped in early.

It doesn't look too bad of a price and I will definitely be getting one when the price becomes more realistic again.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom