• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Vehicle to Load (V2L) - Any Information or First Hand Experiences?

Longer the fly lead equals less protective cable?
Forget that it has the rcd at end of cable anyway so none of it is protected
Even stranger don't your think, as the "EVCables" V2L lead has no RCD protection contained at the lead at all !.
Plus it can be purchased in varying lengths, anything from a small 0.5 metres, right up to a longer 15 metres ( see link below ).
"EVCables" worked closely with one of the first owners of the new ZS EV Gen 2 facelift ( by his request ) to develop the V2L cable and then test it, before bringing it the market fully.
The owner of the ZS EV Gen 2 then posted the news and details of the new cable on the forum.
I jumped in quickly at a introductory / launch price and they sold out in first 24 - 48 hours.
When the cable returned to their web site, the price had increased massively, as the first orders had flooded in.
I think as more models are now produced with V2L capabilities, these cables / adaptors are going to be extremely popular.
When I first bought my cable, I have to admit that I never really considered ( at that time ) I would be using it to power electrical items within our home.
Boy ! - Things really changed in such a short space of time folks.
We are already being warned about possible power outages this winter in the U.K.
Therefore, I am now starting to take stock and consider what important electrical appliances I would like to power from the HV battery in our car.
Without compromising the max discharge value of just over 2 Kw's that is of course.
Using the V2L cable to power items like the microwave / air fryer etc for heating meals etc.
When not in use for cooking it could be used to power the internet modem and even a small TV.
A single ring gas camping stove is a really worth while outlay, for only about £20.
I have two fairly powerful jumper packs ( long story ) that could be used power /charge mobile phones / tablets etc.
Thinking about lighting, I have a couple of LED industrial grade rechargeable inspection touches that can light even a large room, plus a site radio that can be powered by a couple of large 5 Amp power tool batteries I have.
It would likely run for about 3 days continuous on just one of them 5 Amp batteries :ROFLMAO: .
You can charge your phone etc from it.
We also have a well lagged hot water storage tank, to keep the water nice and hot.
Combi boilers are a water on demand system, but need electrical power in order to work.
EV ownership somehow changes your mind set a little I find.
Like ( where possible ) trying always, to have a back up plan in place for example !.
Food for thought I guess folks ?????.

It’s a little over 2 Kw’s, so a fast boil kettle and a fridge maybe pushing it a little bit !.
You can get a slightly smaller capacity kettle with a much smaller draw for about £20.
It’s bigger than the tiny travel kettles, but not full size.
About 3/4 size if that makes sense.
Some reports of people exceeding the recommend rating, which maybe okay for a short time frame, but not recommended over a long period of time I would suggest.
If you rely totally on electric to cook and are worried about power cuts etc, can I suggest you look at buying one of those £20 single gas ring camping stoves and a couple of gas canisters, to run it.
They come in a plastic case, so can be stored when not in use.
A cheap back up plan for £20.
At least you could use it to boil water for a hot drink and make a simple snack if the power does go down.
Then use the V2L cable to run the other important electric items in the house.
I have been giving this some thought over the last week and investigating what important items I can run from my V2L cable and then looking at other methods of providing some light and charging phones / computer etc.
I have two jumper packs that could be used to charge / power smaller items like tablets / lap top / phone chargers etc.
I have some trade rated rechargeable LED inspection lights that are powerful enough to light a very large room if needed.
A site radio that can be powered by cordless power tool batteries ( which I have a number of ).
We have a stored hot water tank, so that is of some benefit over a combi boiler in times like that.
Although ( hopefully ) these will not be necessary this winter, I always find it’s better to prepare now, rather than latter !.
I think owning an EV promotes this “Always Have A Back Up Plan” mind set 🤣.
Although very difficult to obtain right now, a smaller air fryer ( 1.5 Kw’s ) is an option for running from the V2L cable also and the average size microwave.
We all take electricity purely for granted, because it’s always there 24/7.
Only when it’s turned off, do we realise just how much we need it in our daily lives !.
The water and gas supplies are treated in the same disregarded fashion.
There is no shame in planning ahead a little I feel.
Fail to plan, then plan to fail !.
Thanks. I have always been a bit of a "prepper" myself. So we have things like charging a phone or lightning secured but I am now looking at making things more convenient if we do have any power disruptions such as being able to make a hot chocolate or tea while playing board games with a lantern light. Etc. V2L just sounds too good to ignore here really if I can get extra value out of £27 000 car then I sure will do my best to try :) we have air fryer so hopefully that could even do as a chicken nuggets and some fried in a pinch.

We use an air fryer, slow cooker, and steamer regularly to save money over cooking with gas. I'm already looking at extension leads for the above and the fridge freezer during a power cut.

We use an air fryer, slow cooker, and steamer regularly to save money over cooking with gas. I'm already looking at extension leads for the above and the fridge freezer during a power cut.
Very wise !.
Everybody is likely to keep some candles 🕯 in the house, just in case of a power outage.
The problem is, we all use them so infrequently that they go to the back of a cupboard, and you can never find them when the power fails 🤣.
Fridge freezers are usually okay for a few hours if the power drops away.
Having the facility to power some lights ( table lamps ) and being able to make some hot drinks and food is extremely important though.
We have dual fuel range cooker, but after purchasing an air fryer a few weeks ago, it hardly never gets used these days.
I know somebody who never uses the gas rings on his cooker anymore, due to the cost.
He uses two gas camping stoves and buys the small gas cartridges in bulk cheaply.
This way he is only using the gas he has already purchased.

Fridge freezers are usually okay for a few hours if the power drops away.
A couple of months ago, we had a cable fault in the street which meant the power was off for about 18 hours. Our next door neighbour had to dump a load of food out of the freezer which had defrosted. Fortunately, I have a portable power supply I use in the garage to power tools etc so was able to bring that into the house and power the kitchen, internet and TV. A tip for anyone who has solar lights in the garden, just bring them into the house and turn them upside down. They work just like a candle. :)

A tip for anyone who has solar lights in the garden, just bring them into the house and turn them upside down. They work just like a candle. :)
Top tip !.
I like it 👍.
I don’t expect, when the V2L was added to the ZS EV facelift and the MG4 customers where really expecting to use their cars to back fill for potential power outages.
Having a large capacity battery 🔋 sitting on your drive, is a really brilliant feature, but you need a cable to harness that power.
V2L cables will become almost as important as a Type 2 cable, the way things are going.

Last edited:
As well as the possibility of powering some appliances via V2L (when the car arrives 🤞🏻), I have in the past utilised a flask to store hot water for making coffee during a power cut, and a food flask for soup or a veggie stew heated earlier, and kept for dinner. I also have a power bank for the phone, a ‘wind-up’ lantern and torches, as well as a stock of tea lights. I hope they won’t be necessary this winter, but it’s good to be prepared.

My partner bought a V2L cable (not sure where from but could find out) with the intention of running it into my home office (near our driveway) so that we could power my office from it during the day from cheap electricity used to charge the car. We havent yet worked out how to make it continually power the office (it works for a short time) as the car keeps switching itself off and turning the V2L off at the same time. Any ideas?

Just been watching the Monday night pod cast and Miles has said that there is an update available, that allows the ZS EV facelift to use the V2L load cable, without the car in the READY condition !.
Which is great news for any campers etc out there !.

Just been watching the Monday night pod cast and Miles has said that there is an update available, that allows the ZS EV facelift to use the V2L load cable, without the car in the READY condition !.
It's this a dealer update? Think I'll be arranging a visit!

I'm after a bit of advice on modifying a type2 to type2 cable I've bought. The cable is from a Toyota, and I'm unsure as to where I should fit the new 470 Ohm resistor. One end of the cable with the resistor in is connected to earth - is this correct.

V2Lplug (2).JPG

V2Lplug (1).JPG

Let's hope it now charges the 12v at same time as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. Almost certainly, just replace the resistor that's there with the 470Ω resistor, and redo the heat-shrink tubing or other protection.

My calling wires cables is a hang over from years as an auto electrician late sixties to eighties 😊

Thanks 👍 I’ve just dismantled the plug from the other end, and there is a resistor there as well, exactly the same set up?

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom