Welcome back warm weather

There's a video somewhere of Mr "Just get a Tesla" going down to Applecross from the Bealach na bà, and he has several % more charge in his battery when he gets there than when he started out.

I love the “Cairn o’Mount” road between Fettercairn near Brechin and Banchory. It’s a real twister with steep inclines, hairpin bends and downright tricky bits, super road. There’s many places to catch out the unwary and screw up your gear changing skills with an ice car or prove time and time again just how utterly fantastic the gearless, effortless torque of an ev really makes driving a pleasure.
I’ve traversed it in both directions many times over the last 56 years. It’s just about possible with the ev to regen back on the downward side what you expended climbing the upward ride. You can’t play that game with an ice machine 🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩

1000021770.jpg

Don't make me drive the 1.5 miles from the Crofters' Trust office, a trip where I discovered the efficiency meter only goes as far as 20mi/kwhr. I'd rather not discuss the difference getting there, though. :)
I figured that out earlier this week when getting to the bottom of the hill from my house, it gave me (very temporarily) 20.0 mi/KWh. Makes you wonder just how far you could go if it could sustain that :)

Well I did 230 miles mostly between 65-70 in eco mode with the ac off and got 3.9miles/kwh at an ambient temp of 20-22C. Which Is pretty impressive. I could have made my whole trip without a charge but I bottled it and spent 20 mins at a BP Pulse charger, enough to put in 50% or thereabouts.

A cosy battery can help by giving longer range and this seams to be proven as the weather gets warmer.
Exploding wee dollops of highly inflammable liquid in metal containers and arranging for the chimney to be routed under the battery should warm the latter up a treat

Now that we’ve had some warmer weather, has anyone seen extra range?

Back in winter I got 160-180 miles and now it’s 200-220 miles.

Over here where it's getting cooler, I'm also seeing an increase in range.
Mid 30sC I was getting 13.1 L/100km now it's mid 20sC I'm getting 12.8 L/100km.

I'm not convinced it's all to do with battery temp. I think the climate control load plays a part as well.
Cooling and heating, when it's around 0°C the heat pump is working hard and at 20°C it's not.
Don't forget an ICE car has free heating, but an EV has to pay for its heating. How many watts, does it take to keep a car moving through 0 at 70 mph at 20c (or more)?

Last edited:
264 mile trip, for my wife and I, with suitcase and other stuff in the boot. Car fully charged. 110 miles on dual carriageway A1, trying to keep at 65-67. Aimed for 55-60, where allowed on other roads. Average 47mph. 16 miles range left on arrival. Couldn’t have done it in cold weather, but almost feel I could get 300 miles, with care, on another warm day.

Well. What happened to spring? We seem to have gone from the depths of winter to summer in one bound.

All through the winter I was seeing 145-150 miles on the app after a full charge. The record was 167, after having driven 65 miles on the A65, mostly at a pretty moderate speed, just before Christmas. Charged up from 6% this weekend, although not in one fell swoop as I went aurora-watching in the middle of it, and suddenly the car is reporting 197 miles full. I thought maybe it had reset itself, but it hasn't, the accumulated total is at 20 hours and several hundred miles.

Might get the 147 miles to Tebay services a week on Tuesday without too much trouble, at that!

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel