What do you value most in your EV?

If the ZS EV and the MG5 had the same range, technology and price, which one would you buy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd pay £30-35k for a ZS with a 73kWh battery, as long as there were some good dealer or MG offers.
It is likely to become a big guessing game with regards to what is likely to be the new price ZS EV facelift model, with the larger pack !.
The 64 kw e.Nero is very popular model due to it’s increased range, but it comes in at a much higher price for the extra range.
I think the ZS EV wins out when it comes to space, but would love to go head to head ( or beat ) it on range.
I will start the ball rolling by predicting it will be pitched at a price that will come in at tad under the price of the e.Niro or Kona.
This will get potential buyers of the e.Niro / Kona something hard to think about.
If it is a lot more expensive, then the ZS will not steal the sale over the two close rivals in the competition.
Also, customers who put their good faith in the ZS EV without knowing much about it when they placed their orders and would like to upgrade, will only be able to do so if the “Price To Change” gap is not to big to to justify making the jump.
Remember, if Miles is prediction is correct and the newer model ( ZS EV MK2 ) is released in quarter 4 of this year, then owners of the original ZS EV cars will only be two years old.
Most people will be likely to be looking to replace their cars at the three year mark.
Due to C19 a lot of owners have gone long periods of time without using their cars.
So, in affect their cars still feel very new to them.
Speaking purely for myself, I would consider keeping my faith with MG and upgrading to the ZS EV with the larger pack IF a deal was within my budget.
I do firmly believe that the dealers would find selling the original ZS EV trade in’s very easy.
Folks who would love to make the move to a EV - but their budget will just not stretch that far.
A well looked after two year model, still with the 5 years of the warranty still remaining, sounds just the job !.
Two birds, one stone.

I'd pay £30-35k for a ZS with a 73kWh battery, as long as there were some good dealer or MG offers.
Based on the $100 per kWh that is often talked about and I believe is the sort of figures that are now obtained by the manufacturers, an extra 19kWh should in theory put the price up by about £1,500.

Edit DOH it's 29kWh not 19kWh extra, so an extra £2,100

Last edited:
Based on the $100 per kWh that is often talked about and I believe is the sort of figures that are now obtained by the manufacturers, an extra 19kWh should in theory put the price up by about £1,500.
So an extra 30kWh if it's a 73kWh battery would be another £2,400 ish, fantastic.
They'll have to keep the price under £35k to get the government grant.

If I could have afforded 35k I wouldn't be driving a ZS now, I would have bought a 250 mile range eNIro or Kona.
I suspect a lot of people would choose other than MG if there were price parity

Edit DOH it's 29kWh not 19kWh extra, so an extra £2,100
Oh if only it were that easy and it happened. Of course in reality it will be a lot more expensive than that, after all if the price difference was only say £2500 between the smaller and larger packs, who would buy the smaller ? It's not like the difference in trim levels Excite or Exclusive, this is the all important range difference.

Oh if only it were that easy and it happened. Of course in reality it will be a lot more expensive than that, after all if the price difference was only say £2500 between the smaller and larger packs, who would buy the smaller ? It's not like the difference in trim levels Excite or Exclusive, this is the all important range difference.
Yeah I agree.
Difficult one this.
You have to get the price absolutely spot on I think.
It has to be sub 35 grand or it’s dead in the water from the “Get Go”.
Running into WAY to much other traffic of other EV’s at that price, giving folks a bigger choice of EV cars is dangerous.
Let’s be honest, we all agree that the ZS EV created a lot of interest / sales because of the price base.
The newer ZS EV pricing structure has to follow the same model.
It worked once, it will work again.
To keep the wheel turning, you have to draw back the original owners with an incentive to upgrade their cars.
These owners have probably provided a good number of sales of this car by recommending / convincing people to switch to an EV.
How many folks on this forum have friends or family that has made the switch to an EV based on your own opinions on the ZS EV?.
You can include me in these numbers, my brother has bought one six months after myself.
It’s a two edged sword, you need to retain the original customer base, by getting the current owners to trade in their cars.
The dealer receives another sales and retains the customer.
He / She then retails the previous model to a customer who wishes to move to an EV - But finds the jump to a brand new car just a little to big to justify.
If you make the cost bridge too wide for the previous ZS EV owner to expensive to cross and upgrade, then a lot of the second potential sales will be lost 😞 and the customer with it.
This makes perfect sense to me ?.
Not sure MG has the same views though !.
Get it right and they could do extremely well from this, over price the 2022 model and it could become a much slower uptake and return on sales and profit.
Don’t screw up on this great opportunity MG !.
You will only get one chance to get it right 👍.

Yeah I agree.
Difficult one this.
You have to get the price absolutely spot on I think.
It has to be sub 35 grand or it’s dead in the water from the “Get Go”.
Running into WAY to much other traffic of other EV’s at that price, giving folks a bigger choice of EV cars is dangerous.
Let’s be honest, we all agree that the ZS EV created a lot of interest / sales because of the price base.
The newer ZS EV pricing structure has to follow the same model.
It worked once, it will work again.
To keep the wheel turning, you have to draw back the original owners with an incentive to upgrade their cars.
These owners have probably provided a good number of sales of this car by recommending / convincing people to switch to an EV.
How many folks on this forum have friends or family that has made the switch to an EV based on your own opinions on the ZS EV?.
You can include me in these numbers, my brother has bought one six months after myself.
It’s a two edged sword, you need to retain the original customer base, by getting the current owners to trade in their cars.
The dealer receives another sales and retains the customer.
He / She then retails the previous model to a customer who wishes to move to an EV - But finds the jump to a brand new car just a little to big to justify.
If you make the cost bridge too wide for the previous ZS EV owner to expensive to cross and upgrade, then a lot of the second potential sales will be lost 😞 and the customer with it.
This makes perfect sense to me ?.
Not sure MG has the same views though !.
Get it right and they could do extremely well from this, over price the 2022 model and it could become a much slower uptake and return on sales and profit.
Don’t screw up on this great opportunity MG !.
You will only get one chance to get it right 👍.
Agreed it's about retaining the customer base. The cost of a second hand eNiro for example in a couple of years could well be considerably less than the new ZS if it is priced too high. If you are not too bothered about buying new I could see many going that route simply for the extra range.
I think they will have to target under 30k list

Agreed it's about retaining the customer base. The cost of a second hand eNiro for example in a couple of years could well be considerably less than the new ZS if it is priced too high. If you are not too bothered about buying new I could see many going that route simply for the extra range.
I think they will have to target under 30k list
Absolutely bang on @Gomev .
I asked my wife the other day ( who openly admits to not knowing a lot about car prices or EV’s ) what price she thought the newer larger range ZS EV would be priced at ?.
Almost instantly, she said :-
“It will be just under 30 grand, it has to be”.
It left me with my chin firmly placed on my chest 😲!.
Where the HELL did that just come from I asked !.
“Well, it’s just common sense really, any more expensive and people will not buy it, simple”.
I was totally absolutely flabbergasted to be honest, I was shaking my head for the next couple of miles.
At this point, she had nodded off to sleep 😴.
This marketing brain wave had totally wiped he out 🥱.
👍.

Totally agree, they will charge more than the actual cost as they will be able to.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t it the higher spec versions that manufacturers make their money on. Charge “minimal” for the base model, then offer other versions for lots more than it costs for the few extras.

If I could have afforded 35k I wouldn't be driving a ZS now, I would have bought a 250 mile range eNIro or Kona.
List price for the Exclusive last July was £30,743 incl VAT (before Government grant).
Obviously, like many others, with dealer discounts etc. I paid much less.

Last edited:
Same here, there’s no way I’d have bought the MG if I could’ve afforded more, there are nicer cars.
For me, I still only bought it because I got a pre-reg with delivery mileage for less than £20.5k, else it would’ve been a 2nd hand ev or an ice car.

I guess if/when the new version comes out it also provides all the missing features, then it makes it a closer choice. They’re always on to a bit of a looser though as it’s a converted ice car not designed as an ev from the outset with all the benefits that gives.
Full price for 73kWh next year is going to have to be £30k max I think if they want to sell many.

It will depend on what everyone else is doing.
Other manufacturers will one day grasp the nettle of making a usable family EV affordable to the masses.

Absolutely bang on @Gomev .
I asked my wife the other day ( who openly admits to not knowing a lot about car prices or EV’s ) what price she thought the newer larger range ZS EV would be priced at ?.
Almost instantly, she said :-
“It will be just under 30 grand, it has to be”.
It left me with my chin firmly placed on my chest 😲!.
Where the HELL did that just come from I asked !.
“Well, it’s just common sense really, any more expensive and people will not buy it, simple”.
I was totally absolutely flabbergasted to be honest, I was shaking my head for the next couple of miles.
At this point, she had nodded off to sleep 😴.
This marketing brain wave had totally wiped he out 🥱.
👍.
I reckon she's right, or at least close, somewhere near £30k after the government grant sounds about right taking into account any price rises in the last 12 months and the bigger battery.
I suspect the smaller battery option will stay the same price or reduce.

I reckon she's right, or at least close, somewhere near £30k after the government grant sounds about right taking into account any price rises in the last 12 months and the bigger battery.
I suspect the smaller battery option will stay the same price or reduce.
Yeah - You can fiddle with the price until the cow’s come home !.
Add in the government grant, discount the price at the dealership and add other incentives, manipulating the price with regards to how they write up the price on paper etc.
We have all seen the tricks over the years.
But to be honest, all that is just smoke and mirrors.
What is the price to change is all that is important !.
What the sales manger does to arrive at that figure is a dark art that is only there to benefit themselves.
Simple man maths wins every time, show me your best price to change and I am shaking your hand, or showing you the soles of my feet.
All that buggering around with numerous people running around like headless chickens, reporting into the sales manger to look at the books and see what is in price they paid for the car and how long it had been sitting around the back !.
Can’t be going with all that stuff, your life is passing you by in them places.
It goes like this :-
That is my car, there is your new car, once shot, give your best price to change.
Shake or walk and move on !.

If the price is too low, for the next model. Than my car I own for one month will devalue to sharp. That will be bad for the confidence in the brand.
therefore I think the next model will be more expensive than you think. There will be some nice gimmicks to persuade us to switch to the next model.
or they keep both model side by side

Haven’t read all the post, but they should consider offering a loyalty discount to those part exchanging their current MG’s against the new ones because as you said this will certainly maintain interest, other brands like Volvo offer these incentives. I hope they look at this because others have said the 2nd hand market will increase brand awareness and mean more business for MG dealerships with services etc.

Haven’t read all the post, but they should consider offering a loyalty discount to those part exchanging their current MG’s against the new ones because as you said this will certainly maintain interest, other brands like Volvo offer these incentives. I hope they look at this because others have said the 2nd hand market will increase brand awareness and mean more business for MG dealerships with services etc.
Great minds and all that !.
Do they even think 💭 that far ahead, I wonder 🤔 ????.
Let’s see hey !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom