Windscreen replacement woes

Yandards

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Picked up this delight this morning.

Don't think it'll be a glue job as its already cracked on inpact.

Anyone had a new screen yet?
16916598357065119575257897789390.jpg
16916598357065119575257897789390.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there have been one or two people, but they had to wait months for replacement screens to arrive from China
Hopefully, their suffering means that replacement firms now have stock of MG4 screens for you.

Someone else had the same recently.
There will be plenty of interest in how long it takes to get a replacement.

Autoglass have the glass and want to replace it in 4 days. The problem is that I then have to take the car to mg to get it calibrated. And mg can't do that before 12 October. So I have delayed the windscreen replacement till closer to the mg appointment.

Autoglass have the glass and want to replace it in 4 days. The problem is that I then have to take the car to mg to get it calibrated. And mg can't do that before 12 October. So I have delayed the windscreen replacement till closer to the mg appointment.
I have heard that calibration just involves driving it around on suitable roads. But probably it needs some engineering mode first, anyone know?

My previous Leaf had two cracked windscreens thanks to a tractor cutting hedges and a truck kicking up gravel. On both occasions Autoglass were able to install and calibrate all the cameras and sensors themselves. Is this an issue with MG because it's till relatively new or are MG being arses in requiring a dealer visit to calibrate?

My previous Leaf had two cracked windscreens thanks to a tractor cutting hedges and a truck kicking up gravel. On both occasions Autoglass were able to install and calibrate all the cameras and sensors themselves. Is this an issue with MG because it's till relatively new or are MG being arses in requiring a dealer visit to calibrate?
Probably a little bit of both but I can understand MG wanting to keep a close eye on their new car. Hopefully they will relax some of their control as the software becomes more reliable.

I had to wait many weeks for autoglass to get a replacement windscreen in stock when my windscreen cracked a few months back, so sounds like things are looking much better now. Had to take my car to MG dealer for recalibration which was a pain, but on the plus side, they installed quite a few updates that improved Lane Keeping Assist, and seems to have reduced sensitivity to detecting a vehicle ahead - it was way too sensitive before. The locking-in bug was fixed and they also updated some battery management system.

Overall, the car is even better for these updates

Why do I read this thread with such trepidation? In almost 50 years of driving I have never had a cracked windscreen. Am I tempting fate by posting this?
Because you've been reading this forum too much and hearing everyone's fears about everything that can go wrong.

Windscreen on my trophy is now in need of a replacement. Autoglass say they have to order it in.

The chips seem almost superficial, but the crack from them isn't.

It is on the passenger side. My wife noticed when she got in the car this morning. I didn't see them at all.

View attachment 19571
Autoglass recently quoted me 10th of September to get one. Fortunately my dealer managed to find one. Being calibrated on Monday, pick up Tuesday, hopefully 😬😬

Autoglass recently quoted me 10th of September to get one. Fortunately my dealer managed to find one. Being calibrated on Monday, pick up Tuesday, hopefully 😬😬
That is fast. I cannot get any MG to give me a recalibration appointment before 12th October. We wasted our time phoning multiple MG dealers.

I really have no trust in the MG software. So I don't want to drive much between glass replacement and recalibration.

Camera Calibration Following Windscreen Replacement.

My MG 4 Trophy has had 4 visits to MG Main Dealer to Calibrate the Camera at top
of front Windscreen, it would appear the calibration fails and never reaches 100%.

I believe the MG 4 uses Dynamic Calibration which should simply involves starting
the calibration process and driving the car for about 10 minutes.

After reading and watching videos on this subject I believe this process is simply to
Determine the active area of road between lane lines ahead of our vehicle.

This is done by driving at a speed between 30-50 MPH on a reasonably clear road
with good road markings (White Lines Both Sides) for about 10 minutes ( 5 miles).
Knowing the roads around my dealers I don’t think this will be easy.

Can anyone confirm my theory ???

That is fast. I cannot get any MG to give me a recalibration appointment before 12th October. We wasted our time phoning multiple MG dealers.

I really have no trust in the MG software. So I don't want to drive much between glass replacement and recalibration.
That date was from August 2nd!!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel