Windscreen wipers

I do have an issue in the pressure of the wash wipe though, mine is a really poor dribble . I cannot seem to adjust to a better position on the screen, this just gets affected when the car is moving.

This together with the smear the wipers givein the field of view is not good, the wipers have been changed once at the dealers.
Same here. Factory wipers are utter crap, they smear in the middle of the driver's field of view. Dealer replaced them, same problem after only a few days.

Window washer jets can't be aligned properly. The are fine at standstill, otherwise they hit the bonnet or some place below the wipers, but never an appropriate area of the windscreen.

It's a very substandard system and it's beyond me how one can fail at developing something as basic as wipers/washers.

Last edited:
Same here. Factory wipers are utter crap, they smear in the middle of the driver's field of view. Dealer replaced them, same problem after only a few days.
My wipers are ok so far, not brilliant but not smearing yet. When they do I'll put some Bosch Aerotwins on.
Window washer jets can't be aligned properly. The are fine at standstill, otherwise they hit the bonnet or some place below the wipers, but never an appropriate area of the windscreen.
Mine are fine. If not notably strong, they give a consistent mist across the screen at a range of speeds and I haven't had any issues with this so far.

I am wondering if they've already made some changes to production?

1681729603321.png

No issues with either wipers or the washers on our relatively new Trophy. Forgot to test them when car was delivered too so I feared the worst when I first needed to use them!

My wipers are ok so far, not brilliant but not smearing yet. When they do I'll put some Bosch Aerotwins on.
Yes, this should solve the problem. I'm just a bit annoyed that I have to go to the "aftermarket" to have adequate wipers.
I am wondering if they've already made some changes to production?
I'm rather sure that there is a certain fluctuation, too. Regarding the few complaints here it might not be a general problem.

It's a very substandard system and it's beyond me how one can fail at developing something as basic as wipers/washers.
I noticed yesterday that mine hit the underside of the bonnet, but make a decent spray on the windscreen. Given that it looks like they're directly behind the wipers, I'm now wondering if this is how they're designed to work

I noticed yesterday that mine hit the underside of the bonnet, but make a decent spray on the windscreen. Given that it looks like they're directly behind the wipers, I'm now wondering if this is how they're designed to work
I don't think so. Those nozzles that create a kind of mist and not a direct stream are in use by many manufacturers for years. Some are even mounted on the wipers themselves. But never do they "rebound".

RainX is the classic example but there are many out there.
Have this - Havent found I needed to apply it 'just yet' - Found that the rain does vortex in the center of the rear screen at say 61mph but at 63mph its gone - Speed used as an example not fact .. Hence Not used RainX as of yet...

Another thread I’m glad to see. I have a first gen trophy and windscreen wipers have been winding me up. The smear they leave could not be better placed, right across the drivers vision if the engineers tried. Hopefully a different set of blades will help.

Another thread I’m glad to see. I have a first gen trophy and windscreen wipers have been winding me up. The smear they leave could not be better placed, right across the drivers vision if the engineers tried. Hopefully a different set of blades will help.
They do help. Bosch A721S

Before you change the wiper blades read the manual! Seems daft but, and I've not had to change mine, you need to park the wipers to change them. I was only washing the car (first time) and ended up with a small scratch, down to the primer, on the trailing edge of the bonnet. Right in drivers eye line. Really annoying is that I have not been able to find a source for touch up paint either (Camden Grey). Can anybody advise on that? Thanks

I was concerned when I heard so many others having issues with the wipers, but I was out touring the Yorkshire Dales earlier this week in rainy weather which varied from drizzle to torrential, and I was perfectly happy with them. Even one of my passengers, who has a Mercedes with one of these incredibly cool single front wiper blades, agreed that the MG4's wipers as fitted were perfectly adequate.

Is this what we are talking about for the rear window? Rain-X 81299400 Rain Repellent and Anti-Fog Pack, Set of 2 https://amzn.eu/d/0SaxEmJ

That inside anti fog could work well, keep the blowers off to get a little more range.

Not had an issue with the rear window yet but I came from a Mini Cooper where the rear wiper broke for around 8 months before I got rid of it.

Front wipers and jets fine for me although I do find the blades to be a little soft. No smearing though.

I found the washer jets poor, yet adjusted yesterday - so much better. They were not misting, but just angled too low so blasting the horizontal jet under the wiper blades.

Carefully angled them upwards to hit the lower half of the screen. Now loads of water/pressure not just the cast off.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back