Zappi with Intelligent Octopus

Thanks John
I’ve tried it again and I’m now able to connect to IO. Again disappointed with Octopus. When I registered an interest in IO they said they would let me know when I was eligible, they didn’t.
However I am still unable to connect as my Zappi will not connect to my Wi-Fi. Myenergi say it could be that the Wi-Fi aerial was dislodged on installation, so I have an Octopus engineer coming to look at it.

Nick Froud

Thanks John
I’ve tried it again and I’m now able to connect to IO. Again disappointed with Octopus. When I registered an interest in IO they said they would let me know when I was eligible, they didn’t.
However I am still unable to connect as my Zappi will not connect to my Wi-Fi. Myenergi say it could be that the Wi-Fi aerial was dislodged on installation, so I have an Octopus engineer coming to look at it.

Nick Froud
Oh dear, not going smoothly.

Zappi's usually manage quite well to connect to WiFi, I have on 2 occasions helped sort out connectivity by using mains networking adapters to get the Wifi signal nearer the Zappi location.

The Myenergie Zappi has only been officially "approved" for use with Intelligent Octupus Go within the past week (previoiusly it was being beta tested by some lucky volunteers).

I was on Octupus Go, and used the Octupus App on my phone to move on to Intelligent Octopus Go, and it was quite easy, for a Zappi v2.0 and 2020 MG5 standard range.

We also have a Renault Zoe, and that works as well just by plugging in to the Zappi.

on a similar vein , i have a mg4 trophy and Zappi charger . I would like to switch to Octopus intelligent in January . Anyone done this already and any feedback ? PS have a smart meter too
I did this last weekend. No issues. They accept and connect to the Zappi charger, not the car.

The only issues I've had relate to my battery system drawing cheap power, and then the Zappi switching over to draw from the batteries instead of the grid.

I did this last weekend. No issues. They accept and connect to the Zappi charger, not the car.

The only issues I've had relate to my battery system drawing cheap power, and then the Zappi switching over to draw from the batteries instead of the grid.
It's not like that, it's your inverter seeing the load coming from import and ramps up it's output to satisfy the load. The trick is to put the CT for the Inverter after the Zappi instead of before it, by this the Zappi load is ignored.

It's not like that, it's your inverter seeing the load coming from import and ramps up it's output to satisfy the load. The trick is to put the CT for the Inverter after the Zappi instead of before it, by this the Zappi load is ignored.
If CT is charge time(?) I think that's what we've done. We have a 10kWh Fox ESS battery system that can only draw 3kW, so takes a minimum of 3hrs to charge; we have the Zappi set to have the car ready for 2.30am, when the inverter starts pulling. Does that sound right?

Last edited by a moderator:
If CT is charge time(?) I think that's what we've done. We have a 10kWh Fox ESS battery system that can only draw 3kW, so takes a minimum of 3hrs to charge; we have the Zappi set to have the car ready for 2.30am, when the inverter starts pulling. Does that sound right?
Sorry, no, Current Transformer, often clipped around the meter tails. It senses current flow in or out of the property. By locating it after the Zappi has taken it's feed but before everything else it would make your system unaware of Zappi's consumption and therefore not try and compensate with inverter output. Sounds complicated but it is relatively simple to do depending on how your Zappi was installed.

Octopus's website has crashed so no IO charging available or access to their system.

Last night it only part charged, but is sort of back now!

Last edited:
Help please. I have just switched to Intelligent Octopus Go. What is the best way of charging now? Is it through Octopus devices app or continue with the Myenergy Zappi app? Thanks.

Help please. I have just switched to Intelligent Octopus Go. What is the best way of charging now? Is it through Octopus devices app or continue with the Myenergy Zappi app? Thanks.
Once switched to IO you cannot use the MyEnergi app or controls on Zappi to charge, I tried!

You go on the app, set charge % and ready time and it schedules then charges for you. Otherwise you can bump charge at any time. Also the solar divert works normally, with % green set as required.

I was able to set add 30% by 11am in the morning and it did.

While there are still a few bugs IO is working on the Zappi and is great for us Pre-FL users as you can avoid unnecessarily charging to 100% more easily with IO compared with OG.

Once switched to IO you cannot use the MyEnergi app or controls on Zappi to charge, I tried!

You go on the app, set charge % and ready time and it schedules then charges for you. Otherwise you can bump charge at any time. Also the solar divert works normally, with % green set as required.

I was able to set add 30% by 11am in the morning and it did.
Thanks. Still a little unclear about charging when Solar PV is producing sufficient kW to charge MG4 or is that taken care of by IO?

Thanks. Still a little unclear about charging when Solar PV is producing sufficient kW to charge MG4 or is that taken care of by IO?
Apparently, when there's spare solar Zappi (you can set 0-100%) charges your car off solar but to boost fast or use Eco only the Octopus app does this.

If you leave your Zappi on the ECO+ setting it will charge the car when the surplus is more than 1.4 kW. I believe IO counts any charge gained this way as part of the percentage you set as required.

Thread on the myenergie forum:

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a solution to charging when on IO to avoid control issues!!

1 - open app
2 - click on your face icon top right
3 - click on devices
4 - click on Intelligent Octopus Go
5 - bottom slide smart charging to off

Hey presto, you can charge directly via Zappi etc but don't forget to switch it back afterwards!

There's a solution to charging when on IO to avoid control issues!!

1 - open app
2 - click on your face icon top right
3 - click on devices
4 - click on Intelligent Octopus Go
5 - bottom slide smart charging to off

Hey presto, you can charge directly via Zappi etc but don't forget to switch it back afterwards!
Thanks so much. I tried my first IOG top up last night when SOC was 31%, set +50% to complete by 05.30. Charging schedule indicated all accepted. Charge started exactly at 11.30 pm but stopped some time after midnight having loaded only 7.23 kWh. Perhaps teething problems my end but I will check with Octopus, meanwhile I'll complete with a Zappi charge tonight. Thanks again.

Thanks so much. I tried my first IOG top up last night when SOC was 31%, set +50% to complete by 05.30. Charging schedule indicated all accepted. Charge started exactly at 11.30 pm but stopped some time after midnight having loaded only 7.23 kWh. Perhaps teething problems my end but I will check with Octopus, meanwhile I'll complete with a Zappi charge tonight. Thanks again.
I have problems with the MG4 if there's a long gap say 00:30-02:30 when it doesn't restart. MG5 is fine. For the MG4 I use greater %age charge to avoid this or regular lower amounts

Hi
I have recently swapped from OG to IOG
I have an early MG 5 so no app. I Use a Myenergi Zappi 2.1 charger which provides my communication.
I believe that something went pear shaped when the app was loaded, there appears to be no way of telling the system what % charge I want or when I want the car to be ready or a bump charge capability.
The system did charge but to 100% which is not ideal
My app does not appear to do anything, no devices appear to be registered and settings only appear to cover basic account details
Does anyone have a similar car/charger set up to mine but with a more complete app?
Any help appreciated

unless I am misunderstanding you don't use the Zappi App, instead just try using the IOG App. As long as you have been accepted by Octupus then the schedule should show soon after you have plugged the car into Zappi, that is if you say what % charge you want and by what time.

Attachments

• IMG_746CAA105E12-1.jpeg
    IMG_746CAA105E12-1.jpeg
    433.1 KB · Views: 36
you can also check in the myenergi app under - Account - Integrations

1701976467017.png

If that's not there, you are not yet linked.

Finally sorted mine out today properly after Eddi & Zappi fell out with each other

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom