• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

11kw 3 phase charging ion UK Trophy

I made myself a heavy duty charger with 2.5mm Arctic flex which is good for 25A and rated for down to -20C generally.

Also the MG4 you can limit the charge current in the car to 8A so you can run on a normal lead as long as it's in reeled and water proof
Where can you limit the charge current? I had trouble with a regular extension cutting out until I used a thicker extension cable.

Where can you limit the charge current? I had trouble with a regular extension cutting out until I used a thicker extension cable.
If you click on the % charge screen in the infotainment unit and on the charging screen there is a drop down there

If you click on the % charge screen in the infotainment unit and on the charging screen there is a drop down there
Thanks. I was looking on the app. I'm confusing myself with cables. I have a Zappi charger at home and use a single phase 32a cable to charge at up to 7.2KWh. I understand that I need a 3 phase cable if I want to use a public 22KW charger and get the full charge rather than a third using my single phase cable. Is this correct?

Thanks. I was looking on the app. I'm confusing myself with cables. I have a Zappi charger at home and use a single phase 32a cable to charge at up to 7.2KWh. I understand that I need a 3 phase cable if I want to use a public 22KW charger and get the full charge rather than a third using my single phase cable. Is this correct?
If you have a trophy or SE LR yes a 3ph type2 lead would be needed to charge at circa 11kW on a 22kW charger.

If you have the SE SR the limit is 6.6kW as its a single phase onboard charger

If you have a trophy or SE LR yes a 3ph type2 lead would be needed to charge at circa 11kW on a 22kW charger.

If you have the SE SR the limit is 6.6kW as its a single phase onboard charger
Yes I have a Trophy so 3 phase makes sense but would this mean a reduction in charge when using a 3 phase cable with my zappi which is presumably single phase

Yes I have a Trophy so 3 phase makes sense but would this mean a reduction in charge when using a 3 phase cable with my zappi which is presumably single phase
Not if you have a 32A 3-phase cable, as that will be rated for 7kW per phase, meaning you can still use your Zappi at full power.

With a 32A 3-phase cable, each phase can handle 7kW, so no reduction with your Zappi.

Edit: @WonkoTheSaneUK beat me to it!

I've bought a single phase cable and I'll see how I get on with that, on the basis that :
  • It's not a stiff and heavy so easier for my OH to use
  • I only have 1 phase at home
  • I'll generally prefer to charge at home wherever possible, as it's cheaper
  • Many 'destination chargers' are single phase and cheaper to install (and more plentiful).
  • If I'm on a long journey so need a 'big charge', I'm more likely to want a rapid charger which will have a tethered cable.

I happen to have a 3-phase 32A cable (even though my car is only single phase), but that's only because I got the cable for £85 via the Tesla app (before they stopped doing it in the app) which was cheaper than an equivalent single-phase cable elsewhere.

I've bought a single phase cable and I'll see how I get on with that, on the basis that :
  • It's not a stiff and heavy so easier for my OH to use
  • I only have 1 phase at home
  • I'll generally prefer to charge at home wherever possible, as it's cheaper
  • Many 'destination chargers' are single phase and cheaper to install (and more plentiful).
  • If I'm on a long journey so need a 'big charge', I'm more likely to want a rapid charger which will have a tethered cable.
Perfectly sensible decision, everyone has different needs.

Is there much of a weight difference between a 3ph and 1ph cable please? Obviously 3ph has a greater diameter (specs online for one manufacturer shows 15mm 1ph and 19mm 3ph). My current 1ph cable is quite long and pretty heavy so wondering how much difference 3ph would make?
Single phase has 3 off 2.5mm cables plus a 0,5 mm control cable. Live, neutral earth granny charger.
Three phase 11kw 5 off 2,5 mm cable plus 0.5 mm control cable. Live live live neutral earth
Three phase 22kw 5 off 6mm cables plus 0,5 mm control cable. as 11kw.
Single phase 7.2 kw 3 off 6 mm cables plus 0.5 mm control cable.

Last edited:
I thought I would let others know that 11 KW charging is still coming through on Trophies. I took delivery last month of a Trophy (built Jan 2023) and have now had a chance to charge with a 32A 3 phase cable. Screen shot clearly shows 9.8KW, so that's good. Interestingly my dealer decline to supply a type 2 cable with thw car, saying they were £260 from MG and that I would be better off going on line to buy one. As they had given me £250 off the list price I guess that's a fair deal.

Attachments

• IMG_20230527_141618427_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230527_141618427_HDR.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 57

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 423 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member