• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

11kw 3 phase charging ion UK Trophy

I'm purely guessing (do the specs not also give the weight of the cable?) ... I'd say half as heavy again. (e.g. if 1ph is 2kg then 3ph would be 3kg ... but this is a pure guess).
Nope, no weights or I wouldn't have asked 🙂 The insulation around the outside does not change much, it is the cores inside that increase so it isn't a simple calculation. Stageshoot says about 20% difference above which is reasonable really given 3x the charging speed where it is possible.

Nope, no weights or I wouldn't have asked 🙂 The insulation around the outside does not change much, it is the cores inside that increase so it isn't a simple calculation. Stageshoot says about 20% difference above which is reasonable really given 3x the charging speed where it is possible.
Yep and thicker and so won't coil as tight, I have a 3 phase and wouldn't say it's heavy or awkward. A little heavier and less flexible yes.

Unless I am missing something, isn’t discussion about 3 phase cables irrelevant to most users? If you have a Trophy and an untethered single phase 7kwh charger at home then a 3 phase cable would give you no benefit. Are there any public or workplace untethered 3 phase chargers where having your own 3 phase cable would be helpful?
Newer branches of Aldi often have 4x 22kW AC chargers.

Apologies if this is a bit off topic but reading this thread has made me think about our current (no pun intended..) issues with charging our MG4 trophy on our home Zappi V2 and whether the trophy's 3 phase charging port vs single phase charging could be causing issues.

Our tethered Zappi constantly trips with an RCD error whenever we plug into the car to charge, and has done since collecting it from Brindleys last Saturday. Our original MG 3 pin granny from the ZS also flashes with an error and refuses to charge the car. Our now part-ex'ed ZS charged for nearly 2 yrs on the Zappi without any issues.

Could the 3 phase capabilities of the MG4 Trophy model be causing an issue with the Zappi or generally AC charging, as it refuses to charge wherever the I plug the car into a type 2 AC charger..?

Luckily the car will charge via a DC Rapid charger, which is the only thing stopping me from rejecting the car atm...but if anyone else has seen this issue or has any idea of the cause it would be greatly appreciated as I'm pulling my hair out at the minute, especially with the extra charging costs.

Apologies if this is a bit off topic but reading this thread has made me think about our current (no pun intended..) issues with charging our MG4 trophy on our home Zappi V2 and whether the trophy's 3 phase charging port vs single phase charging could be causing issues.

Our tethered Zappi constantly trips with an RCD error whenever we plug into the car to charge, and has done since collecting it from Brindleys last Saturday. Our original MG 3 pin granny from the ZS also flashes with an error and refuses to charge the car. Our now part-ex'ed ZS charged for nearly 2 yrs on the Zappi without any issues.

Could the 3 phase capabilities of the MG4 Trophy model be causing an issue with the Zappi or generally AC charging, as it refuses to charge wherever the I plug the car into a type 2 AC charger..?

Luckily the car will charge via a DC Rapid charger, which is the only thing stopping me from rejecting the car atm...but if anyone else has seen this issue or has any idea of the cause it would be greatly appreciated as I'm pulling my hair out at the minute, especially with the extra charging costs.
I'm no expert on EV's as this is my first, but I'm not sure how a 3-phase charger on the MG4 would cause your Zappi to fail to charge. It should allow up to 11kW charging and anything below that rate, rather than be limited to a maximum of 7.4kW.

As you have an issue with using a granny charger I suspect some kind of fault in the MG4 converting AC to DC for storage, which is not an issue when rapid DC charging. You should call your dealer.

I'm no expert on EV's as this is my first, but I'm not sure how a 3-phase charger on the MG4 would cause your Zappi to fail to charge. It should allow up to 11kW charging and anything below that rate, rather than be limited to a maximum of 7.4kW.

As you have an issue with using a granny charger I suspect some kind of fault in the MG4 converting AC to DC for storage, which is not an issue when rapid DC charging. You should call your dealer.
Thanks @MuzGB1970 . Likewise I'm no expert despite this being our 3rd EV in 2 yrs, but I'm inclined to agree with you.
I suspect it's the car and the AC charging function in some way, as DC charge on a rapid works ok.
The car's booked in for the dealer to have a look in a couple of weeks (too busy) so we'll see.

Download the Tesla App and buy a 4 metre Three phase cable for ÂŁ85.

I have ordered a cable ready for my mg4 trophy arriving.
Can non-Tesla owners buy this cable too?

Edit: Ordered, thanks for your tip.

Last edited:
I've seen the below but it's available in 5 or 10 metre length. Would you more knowledgeable folks recommend going with the 10 metres because it isn't that much more (about ÂŁ30) compared to the 5 metre one?

EVOneStop 3 Phase Type 2 Cable 5 or 10 Metres
In my view, unless you need the extra length for home charging, go for the 5 metre one. It will still let you connect to a charger from either side of the car and 10 metres is a lot of cable to un-knot and will be twice as heavy.

In my view, unless you need the extra length for home charging, go for the 5 metre one. It will still let you connect to a charger from either side of the car and 10 metres is a lot of cable to un-knot and will be twice as heavy.
Thank you. I'll go with the 5 metre one then.

I will have the Ohme Home Pro (tethered cable) installed at home and it's on a drive where the port will be about 2 foot if that from the charger when I reverse in.

Another option if you need a 5m 32A 3-phase cable:

Type 2 to Type 2 (22Kw) | 32A | Mode 3 | 3 Phase | 5 Meter | FREE Carry Bag | EV/Electric Vehicle Car charging cable & Plug-in Hybrid Charging Cable Model 3 https://amzn.eu/d/bhUHusG

I have ordered a cable ready for my mg4 trophy arriving.

I thought that only the first 220 or so Trophy were being delivered with 3 phase charging, and that going forwards they'd be single phase. If I'm right then take care ordering in advance.

I thought that only the first 220 or so Trophy were being delivered with 3 phase charging, and that going forwards they'd be single phase. If I'm right then take care ordering in advance.
That's what I had heard but it seems that all are still getting 3 phase including the latest Trophy's with no driver monitoring camera, that I assume are well past the first 220, it also seems to be on LR's as well. If I remember @Stageshoot who started this thread has one of the new trophies without the monitoring camera. So I am starting to think it will remain in the UK. Hence my earlier post in this thread 11kw 3 phase charging ion UK Trophy
trying to confirm one way or the other.

Last edited:
If you are talking about public chargers then yes they are clearly displayed as 22kw (the most common)

If you are talking about the car charger unit not really but look to see if pins L2 and L3 are present in the car socket. If not its only 7kw single phase

Newbie question: Are the 3 phase chargers clearly labelled as such (so you know what you're dealing with)?
If you mean the car see this post for a couple of pictures of the difference in charge port

That's what I had heard but it seems that all are still getting 3 phase including the latest Trophy's with no driver monitoring camera, that I assume are well past the first 220. If I remember @Stageshoot who started this thread has one of the new trophies without the monitoring camera. So I am starting to think it will remain like this in the UK. Hence my earlier post in this thread '11kw 3 phase charging ion UK Trophy' 11kw 3 phase charging ion UK Trophy
trying to confirm one way or the other.

I assumed all Trophy's and SE LR were supposed to have 11Kw, as it seems to be a feature of the inverter used with the larger batteries, would be odd to start swapping them out for the UK when they are standard in europe. Cost more than it saves
Hi Stageshoot, I you don't want your Type 2 cable would you sell it to me for around ÂŁ50 plus postage.

Sorry no it will go with the car when sold and I will keep my 3 phase cable for future cars.

I assumed all Trophy's and SE LR were supposed to have 11Kw, as it seems to be a feature of the inverter used with the larger batteries, would be odd to start swapping them out for the UK when they are standard in europe. Cost more than it saves
So it's just been confirmed by someone that the SE LR has an 3 phase charge port
Post in thread '22kw charging' 22kw charging

So it's starting to look like this is indeed the case in summary SE SR 7Kw, SE and Trophy LR both 11 kW. Nobody has responded to say they have different, including the latest deliveries.

Hence now don't believe the initial statements that only the first 200 or so UK cars would get 11kW due to parts shortages etc.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 425 79.9%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back