11kw 3 phase charging ion UK Trophy

tsedge

Reaction score
Paignton, UK
Driving
Not an MG
That could well be true. As you say though, it's being misled over the car availability that's angered me the most. It's my second time of being let down by MG sales - three times if you count my original abortive attempt to by a ZS.
It isn't good enough. MG must do better.

tsedge

Reaction score
Paignton, UK
Driving
Not an MG
Trophy models have been reported to have 3-phase chargers fitted to them; don't think anyone has reported 3-phase from an SE LR
It is also clearly listed in the manual. 11kW only supported on LR.

Edit: the manual talks only about the two drivetrain battery/motor/inverter/charger combinations, type 1 and 2. One is SR and one is LR. There is nothing about trim level, so I would assume any LR could do this but agree I have not seen someone confirm this yet (fewer people have bought SE LR I guess).

amdmad

Reaction score
Birstall England
Driving
MG4

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221201_184623_MG iSMART.jpg
    Screenshot_20221201_184623_MG iSMART.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 103

memo

Reaction score
spain
Driving
Not an MG
Yes. SR can only do 7kW so 3 phase is pointless.
except when you sell the car for a new one and it can charge faster and can buy for the same price then no point in buying the single phase one.

tsedge

Reaction score
Paignton, UK
Driving
Not an MG
except when you sell the car for a new one and it can charge faster and can buy for the same price then no point in buying the single phase one.
Yes, future proofing is a reason to buy the 3-phase 32A 22kW cable now.

memo

Reaction score
spain
Driving
Not an MG
Yes, future proofing is a reason to buy the 3-phase 32A 22kW cable now.
and especially when you pay €109.21 as i did, the lesser cables are more expensive and I doubt if I could fabricate it for that price

tsedge

Reaction score
Paignton, UK
Driving
Not an MG
and especially when you pay €109.21 as i did, the lesser cables are more expensive and I doubt if I could fabricate it for that price
I saw your collection of bits you posted, you are certainly well prepared. 😁

Oberoy

Reaction score
Surrey, UK
Driving
MG4
This site implies 11kw for LR as well as trophy, who knows how accurate.

wandle MG4 trophy

Reaction score
SW London
Driving
MG4
Unless I am missing something, isn’t discussion about 3 phase cables irrelevant to most users? If you have a Trophy and an untethered single phase 7kwh charger at home then a 3 phase cable would give you no benefit. Are there any public or workplace untethered 3 phase chargers where having your own 3 phase cable would be helpful?

Ayoull

Reaction score
Doncaster
Driving
MG4
Unless I am missing something, isn’t discussion about 3 phase cables irrelevant to most users? If you have a Trophy and an untethered single phase 7kwh charger at home then a 3 phase cable would give you no benefit. Are there any public or workplace untethered 3 phase chargers where having your own 3 phase cable would be helpful?
There are quite a few 22kW 3ph units about depends where you live, pod point have some 22kW units near me that are untethered, connectedkerb's units are 22kW and untethered, mer units are 22kW untethered generally

memo

Reaction score
spain
Driving
Not an MG
Quite a few supermarkets and other places here in Spain have untethered AC chargers

TJWhiteStar

Reaction score
Lancashire, UK
Driving
MG4
I was interested in the situation as my brothers work has 3 Phase chargers and they are only charging 14p per KWh for employees registered to use them. Until I have my home charger fitted this will be the cheapest way for me to charge plus if I need to go anywhere he can charge it up for me if I'm not within the 4hrs Octopus allows.

Like I said before. Case of better to have and not need than need and not have especially when the cable is cheaper than the one MG were selling me.

Oberoy

Reaction score
Surrey, UK
Driving
MG4
As said by others this isn't really relevant to home chargers as they I'm almost all cases will be 7kW. There are quite a number of fast chargers in other locations that are 3 phase, at people's work, and other destination chargers supermarkets etc.
I think it's both LR, SE and Trophy that get 11kW 3 phase charging, and it seems to have stuck with more recent deliveries rather than previously thought to be on early deliveries only.
Would be good to confirm what is the case. The easiest way to check is by looking at the pins on the charge port I believe.
This is three phase with pin L2&L3 present, I suspect on all LR (SE & Trophy)
11648-896a096ba24f9a58a4563ed5316f433c.jpg
This being single phase with pin L2&L3 missing, I suspect on all SE SR
FB_IMG_1667307036836.jpg

MG4onOrder

Standard Member
Reaction score
Is there much of a weight difference between a 3ph and 1ph cable please? Obviously 3ph has a greater diameter (specs online for one manufacturer shows 15mm 1ph and 19mm 3ph). My current 1ph cable is quite long and pretty heavy so wondering how much difference 3ph would make?

Stageshoot

Banned
Reaction score
NoWhere
Driving
Not an MG
Is there much of a weight difference between a 3ph and 1ph cable please? Obviously 3ph has a greater diameter (specs online for one manufacturer shows 15mm 1ph and 19mm 3ph). My current 1ph cable is quite long and pretty heavy so wondering how much difference 3ph would make?

Yep probably 20% heavier and a bit more awkward to coil and bag as more wires inside.

siteguru

Reaction score
South Lanarkshire, Scotland
Driving
MG4
I'm purely guessing (do the specs not also give the weight of the cable?) ... I'd say half as heavy again. (e.g. if 1ph is 2kg then 3ph would be 3kg ... but this is a pure guess).

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG electric car news and chat in our final podcast of 2022.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Top Bottom