• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

11kw 3 phase charging ion UK Trophy

Trophy models have been reported to have 3-phase chargers fitted to them; don't think anyone has reported 3-phase from an SE LR

Trophy models have been reported to have 3-phase chargers fitted to them; don't think anyone has reported 3-phase from an SE LR
It is also clearly listed in the manual. 11kW only supported on LR.

Edit: the manual talks only about the two drivetrain battery/motor/inverter/charger combinations, type 1 and 2. One is SR and one is LR. There is nothing about trim level, so I would assume any LR could do this but agree I have not seen someone confirm this yet (fewer people have bought SE LR I guess).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221201_184623_MG iSMART.jpg
    Screenshot_20221201_184623_MG iSMART.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 186
This site implies 11kw for LR as well as trophy, who knows how accurate.

Unless I am missing something, isn’t discussion about 3 phase cables irrelevant to most users? If you have a Trophy and an untethered single phase 7kwh charger at home then a 3 phase cable would give you no benefit. Are there any public or workplace untethered 3 phase chargers where having your own 3 phase cable would be helpful?

Unless I am missing something, isn’t discussion about 3 phase cables irrelevant to most users? If you have a Trophy and an untethered single phase 7kwh charger at home then a 3 phase cable would give you no benefit. Are there any public or workplace untethered 3 phase chargers where having your own 3 phase cable would be helpful?
There are quite a few 22kW 3ph units about depends where you live, pod point have some 22kW units near me that are untethered, connectedkerb's units are 22kW and untethered, mer units are 22kW untethered generally

Quite a few supermarkets and other places here in Spain have untethered AC chargers

I was interested in the situation as my brothers work has 3 Phase chargers and they are only charging 14p per KWh for employees registered to use them. Until I have my home charger fitted this will be the cheapest way for me to charge plus if I need to go anywhere he can charge it up for me if I'm not within the 4hrs Octopus allows.

Like I said before. Case of better to have and not need than need and not have especially when the cable is cheaper than the one MG were selling me.

As said by others this isn't really relevant to home chargers as they I'm almost all cases will be 7kW. There are quite a number of fast chargers in other locations that are 3 phase, at people's work, and other destination chargers supermarkets etc.
I think it's both LR, SE and Trophy that get 11kW 3 phase charging, and it seems to have stuck with more recent deliveries rather than previously thought to be on early deliveries only.
Would be good to confirm what is the case. The easiest way to check is by looking at the pins on the charge port I believe.
This is three phase with pin L2&L3 present, I suspect on all LR (SE & Trophy)
11648-896a096ba24f9a58a4563ed5316f433c.jpg
This being single phase with pin L2&L3 missing, I suspect on all SE SR
FB_IMG_1667307036836.jpg

Is there much of a weight difference between a 3ph and 1ph cable please? Obviously 3ph has a greater diameter (specs online for one manufacturer shows 15mm 1ph and 19mm 3ph). My current 1ph cable is quite long and pretty heavy so wondering how much difference 3ph would make?

Is there much of a weight difference between a 3ph and 1ph cable please? Obviously 3ph has a greater diameter (specs online for one manufacturer shows 15mm 1ph and 19mm 3ph). My current 1ph cable is quite long and pretty heavy so wondering how much difference 3ph would make?

Yep probably 20% heavier and a bit more awkward to coil and bag as more wires inside.

I'm purely guessing (do the specs not also give the weight of the cable?) ... I'd say half as heavy again. (e.g. if 1ph is 2kg then 3ph would be 3kg ... but this is a pure guess).

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 423 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back