AC Charging Speed

I plugged my Trophy into the work 22kW wall box this morning, I was expecting it to be limited to 7.4kW but was pleasantly surprised at the 9.74kW it charged at. Makes for a shorter charge when you're getting your juice at 2kW per hour quicker!
Hi @MuzGB1970 - was that a tethered 22kW wall box, or did you use the supplied Type 2 cable? I am guessing the supplied cable is single-phase - thanks @MundaneMatt for the heads up on that)

Is there any way you can check if you have a type 1 battery pack as that appear to take three phase.
The type 2 battery pack is single phase.
But you can't battery balance on a 22kW EVSE only up to 11Kw....

Last edited:
Is there any way you can check if you have a type 1 battery pack as that appear to take three phase.
The type 2 battery pack is single phase.
But you can't battery balance on a 22kWh EVSE only up to 11Kwh....
Type 1 battery pack is LR, Type 2 is SR. It is mentioned elsewhere in the manual.

Not sure how much anyone should read in to this, but the manual contains charging times on an 11kW charger.

It also mentions that the Heat Pump is connected to fuse F86.
Has anyone with a trophy looked to see if fuse F86 is present, could help confirm there is no heat pump on UK models.
Along with someone looking under the bonnet a chacking based on the diagram that @the briggie posted earlier, surely we can remove speculation one way or the other.

any use?

20221003-175652.jpg

20221003-175737.jpg

Can it be that the first batch of Trophy spec cars have been made with 11kW chargers and heat pumps, by mistake?
Just like what happened with the privacy glass on the SE spec cars.

Can it be that the first batch of Trophy spec cars have been made with 11kW chargers and heat pumps, by mistake?
Again raining on our parade 🌦️ ...:D

Depends on who you believe...my dealer said deliberate not mistake on both charger cable and privacy glass :unsure: and it would also hack off Trophy and possibly SE LR future owners to boot!

Alan

N00b question - could CPS rapids with the 43Kw AC cable attached be used to test this? Obviously only to 11Kw minus losses.

I doubt it. I think it is more likely that it is not worth creating a UK specific version with the economies of scale in the new factory (LHD/RHD isn’t UK specific) and that people were misled by the EU advertising mentioning 11kW as that’s a standard there.

(Of course, I am just guessing)

I suspect they have accidentally misbuilt the heat pump too. The Trophy that we test drove took a while to get up to temperature. Certainly did not behave like a resistive heater. I may be wrong....

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 484 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back