Affinity Scheme

Hadn't clocked the ride height so well spotted. As clearance is good anyway I wonder if the few mil is for some other reason. Pilot Radar? Have the wheels/tyres changed?
Height of car is 9mm more but ground clearance reduced by 0.9mm - so battery pack is about 1cm deeper overall and had 0.4 litres more coolant (up from 4.4 litres). Also produces 280Nm rather than 260Nm torque, which will purely be related to the bigger batter but explains the same 0-60mph times (or they never bothered to test!) Front suspension geometry has also changed but rear the same

More kit so price is up a bit to be expected.
That’s the issue isnt it, they up the costs and it stops been the cheap and cheerful alternative. There isn’t a vehicle out there that can get 250miles on battery for £22.5k. If I was in the market for a £30K car i would be looking for something in a different class.

I wonder if the deeper battery is all about cooling as they extract more endurance /storage from the original battery?

There was a forum post talking about the battery chemistry might have changed as the weight increase looked more related to the MG Pilot kit rather than the battery capacity change - so somehow squeezing more power out of a very similar unit that needs a little extra cooling (if that's even possible) would make some sense.

Saying that, 15kg is a lot for some sensors and 400ml of coolant (especially when there is 200ml less Electric drive transmission coolant now), so maybe some battery weight changes too

Its all a bit strange, as why have a different battery for this one vehicle. You will probably already Know Biffo but is this improved battery the same as that available in the ZS or 5 facelifts or is it yet another battery for those models. Have searched to see if this variant (5 LR) is on sale anywhere else in LH or RH drive but drawn a blank. I have found some references to LR worldwide but these are facelift. You would think harmonisation of parts especially expensive parts like a battery would actually drive some aspects of design and planning of rollouts.

I'm still convinced this is a strategy for making production overrun/unsold models attractive to clear stock prior to retooling for facelift which may have happened already? Going to lay down now as my head hurts😫

Hadn't clocked the ride height so well spotted. As clearance is good anyway I wonder if the few mil is for some other reason. Pilot Radar? Have the wheels/tyres changed?
I believe the wheels and tyres are unchanged. The car is 9mm higher, but ground clearance is 1mm less - so possibly the new battery is 10mm deeper?

I have mentioned this before in other threads and many say I'm being pessimistic. I believe UK customers have been let down by SAIC strategy probably imposed on G UK.

Majority of changes are "soft changes" in the LR to update original RHD 5s (retro fit at factory in some cases?) for stock clearance in the UK and probably Ireland.

Battery capacity increase not "bigger battery" other improvements mostly in software and some pilot sensors. Not on sale elsewhere in the world (stand to be corrected) so hardly a new production run?. I'd be surprised if there will be a LR production line shortly as it will become face lift only and LR (original 5 upgraded for stock clearance) will also runout when stock gone.

Miles reasoning re harmonisation of production line is correct, it will be worldwide facelift only very soon if it isn't already. Homologation for UK could (may have) have been done by now for facelift, but too many RHD 5s (5 LR) to sell in UK/Ireland only.

Remaining stock still to sell in UK/Boat/Storage-Factory India must go first. Good strategy for MG not great for MG UK/Ireland customers. Happy (and hope) to be to be shot down here if you have evidence to the contrary rather than rose tinted specs.
You ask for evidence to the contrary but provide no evidence for your speculation in dark glasses. :)

I don't see mentioned of the MG5 Facelift battery size in this article - just that the Marvel has a 70kWh, so potentially the MG5 still has the same battery as the Long Range, except with a three phase 11kW AC charger rather than 6.6KW single phase

The article linked from that one shows a power increase (but no increase in torque - again, due to same 61.1kW battery?) and essentially the same range 248m/400km. It must weigh more as the 0-62m/100km speed is shown as 8.3s vs 7.7s (might be 7.8s - can't remember). And the addition of 500kg tow weight.

So, looks like it might be the same battery but the AC charging unit from Marvel R - might be that the revised ZS has some of these common components too.

Fair Point Gomev. Anyone have another plausible explanation why this car is not on sale elsewhere?

Novice question here but isn't the torque produced related to the Amperage being applied to the motor?

Would you know if this scheme would apply to retired teachers please?
"To qualify for the MG Affinity Programme discount, you must be employed by (or retired from) the NHS, Fire Police, public sector or teaching. Small business owners can also qualify."

Question? I qualify for affinity but when buying my MG5 in March I was not offered or aware of the scheme was it available on the MG5 then?

Question? I qualify for affinity but when buying my MG5 in March I was not offered or aware of the scheme was it available on the MG5 then?
Yes, but its not the place of the dealership to tell you about it. The onus seems to be on you to tell them that u work for NHS or government etc

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom