annoying stuff

My routine is:

Unlock the car
Open the door
Get in and sit down
Close the door
Shuffle to get the right position
Fit my seatbelt

By the time this is all done the screens have usually booted up. Only then do I press the brake pedal (and turn off LKA etc. if I feel the need to). I then plug in my phone (to allow AA to start up) before selecting D and driving off.

Since we are on it, I do:

Unlock car
Open door
Sit down
Adjust seat
Adjust mirrors
Adjust steering column
Put on seatbelt
Plug in phone
Press brake pedal for Ready mode
Select drive
Press brake for auto-hold
Open car menu
Deselect LKA and Traffic Sign recognition
Lights to "off" or "on": disabling auto lights
Open Car Play
Plan route in Google Maps and start
Affix sunglasses as needed
Drive off

MMmm... for me it's
1.Remote open garage door
2. Unlock by pressing the car door button
3. Sit down and put foot on brake
4. Plug in phone
5. Wait for boot and disable LKA
6. Retract wing mirrors
7. Select drive
8, Press brake again then release
9. Creep out of garage
10. Unfold wing mirrors
11. Remote close garage door
12. Drive off

Last edited:
Surely we all go around the car first looking for dents/scratches, scuffed rims and bird poo, all caused by something or someone other than yourself, obviously? 😉😂😂😂

Or just me and one of my obsessive compulsive tendencies? 😁

Had this yesterday. It’s definitely related to the car start up.

I recall putting my foot on the brake very early, before the larger screen had even woken up when this happened. Wonder if it didn’t like that?

Watched it boot up, took my foot back off and it was all good again so will keep an eye out.
Not sure, it’s happened to me a few times now, and I don’t think I pressed the pedal before it threw the error…although can’t be 100% certain. Will watch for it again and report back

Surely we all go around the car first looking for dents/scratches, scuffed rims and bird poo, all caused by something or someone other than yourself, obviously? 😉😂😂😂

Or just me and one of my obsessive compulsive tendencies? 😁
I check for bird droppings daily. The seagulls like to leave their calling card on occasion and it’s easier to clean when still fresh. 😅

My routine is:

Unlock the car
Open the door
Get in and sit down
Close the door
Shuffle to get the right position
Fit my seatbelt

By the time this is all done the screens have usually booted up. Only then do I press the brake pedal (and turn off LKA etc. if I feel the need to). I then plug in my phone (to allow AA to start up) before selecting D and driving off.
thats probably the 'correct' way to do it - but coming from the Leaf - It was get in - push start, select drive and go - So Im trying to re-educate my brain - Fat chance hahah
But
Unlock
get in and sit down - REIST placing foot on foot brake
close door
fit seat belt ... Now Im tryin to do this BEFORE I plug phone in - But Often the SOUND dosent WORK - (So I have to unplug the USB end count to 5 then reinsert and if we are lucky music comes through.. But if I take a corner toooo quick the phone doesn't move but the CarPlay will drop off - The USB slot is clearly very sensitive.)

Then I press the Brake and select D

I'm pretty certain you're right.
Did it again by accident this morning and the result was the same, so it’s definitely the case that pressing the brake too quickly before certain things happen on boot up cause this message to appear.

Car startup sequence seem to be starting a little slower too. No problem though, I just need to be just a bit slower on the brake. Old habits die hard.

thats probably the 'correct' way to do it - but coming from the Leaf - It was get in - push start, select drive and go - So Im trying to re-educate my brain - Fat chance hahah
But
Unlock
get in and sit down - REIST placing foot on foot brake
close door
fit seat belt ... Now Im tryin to do this BEFORE I plug phone in - But Often the SOUND dosent WORK - (So I have to unplug the USB end count to 5 then reinsert and if we are lucky music comes through.. But if I take a corner toooo quick the phone doesn't move but the CarPlay will drop off - The USB slot is clearly very sensitive.)

Then I press the Brake and select D
My old Jeep Grand Cherokee (traded for the MG4 due to Sadiq Khan’s ULEZ expansion plans. Miss her ☹️) also had a bunch of idiosyncrasies like this which I think is why I love the MG4 so much. I love a car with its own character.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 470 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 45 7.6%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel