Basic (standard) or long range

This came up in my YouTube feed a couple of days ago and is a very good watch with regard to all the current, and possible future types of battery. (The fiery bit starts at 2:16)

I have the Trophy Long range which I am pleased with and still think was the right choice for me - but as others have said, it was mainly for the extra features and wasn't much more than SELR (especially with affinity discounts). It's nice to know you can do the extra distance when you want it with the LR version though.

It really comes down to budget, no denying the SE SR is the best value, and if you only do 80% on the LR wont make much difference. But.. if you can afford the LR it will be better for the occasional journey you want to go to 100% instead of 80%. (The extended range version would have been even better to deal with any range anxiety, but at that price I couldn't justify it as too much other competition, almost same as a Tesla model 3, and same price as XPower which would also be hard to fight the urge too and price just creeping up too much.)

I'm getting on really well with the SR. I haven't needed to charge away from home except the couple of trips I made where I was staying away overnight. Didn't have any serious problems at the chargers then. Yes, these trips take longer than they would have done in an LR, both as regards often having to make an extra stop, and the car charging slower, but since I do it so infrequently I don't mind.

Day to day the battery is a pleasure to live with, and even though 100% is about the same range as the LR's 80%, there is indeed something satisfying in seeing that 100% there!

It's also quite handy in arguments about EVs. When the luddites start on about battery fires and cobalt, I can get really smug.

Thanks Guys, I suppose I have a bit of (battery anxiety) is that a thing? I’m retired and mainly pootle about, with 3-4 trips a year of approximately 130 miles and 90 miles each way.
Sounds like the SR would suit - with it's LFP battery and might give you longer life. However I do want to point out that my MG4 LR charges so fast when I am on long drives and can find a high power rapid charger. Having driven a Mk1 ZS (and still having it as second car) LFP battery car for nearly 4 years, it rarely charges above 30 kW even when on really low state of charge. The MG4 LR hits 130kW regularly - making charging to 80 or 85% so fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having driven a Mk1 ZS (and still having it as second car) LFP battery car for nearly 4 years, it rarely charges above 30 kW even when on really low state of charge.
Does that include in summer? I thought that the LFP battery was only a little slower at rapid charging, unless it's cold. In my part of the world, we rarely get freezing weather.

Does that include in summer? I thought that the LFP battery was only a little slower at rapid charging, unless it's cold. In my part of the world, we rarely get freezing weather.

The LR can do 145 kW and the SR can only do 88 kW. It does make a difference, and if you're in a hurry to get charged you need to think about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we have to stop worrying about "range". People run out of fuel all the bloody time, through simply being stupid and playing it down to the wire. It doesn't matter if it's petrol, diesel or electrons, a car only has a finite amount of fuel on board and eventually it will run out. The trick is not to let it.

Sure, ICE cars generally have capacity to carry more fuel than EVs, in terms of how far that will get the car. But on the other hand EVs have the capacity to charge overnight, every night if you want to, so you should never be in any danger unless you're going to exceed the range of your car in a single day's driving.

Cars spend most of their time parked. In future it should/will be normal to plug your car in whenever and wherever you are parked, if you want to, and let it AC charge while you're doing whatever you went there to do. That should take care of most reasonable daily requirements unless you're intending to drive all day. Eventually I would hope that the big DC chargers would only needed by people who are genuinely driving all day, rather than a round trip with a pause to do something in the middle.

The ability of the cars to go into turtle mode and crawl you to the nearest charger is also a big plus ICE cars don't have. If your car is refusing to go above 15 mph you stop trying to play it to the wire and head for the nearest charger. You will get there. There are even lists of people who will allow passers-by to use their wall boxes if necessary, or you could simply knock on someone's door and ask nicely. At the very last resort, if you can find a 13A plug, you're safe (after an hour or two!).

Electricity is everywhere, the cars give us plenty warning, and for goodness sake, lots of small ICE cars have tanks that are only good for 250 miles or so.

The LR can do 145 kW and the SR can only do 88 kW. It does make a difference, and if you're in a hurry to get charged you need to think about this.
That's only peak charge rates, does anyone have a graph of the charge curve for both models, makes a big difference if can maintain the charge rate for high state of charge, I'd predict the 145 speed is only until around 25% or so.

I have a graph that includes the SR, someone else probably has the LR.

1702570315775.png

It has its advantages if you actually want time to eat.
This +1000% ... whenever I'm DC rapid charging I'm also having a pit stop and a bite to eat/coffee. By the time I've done these the SoC has reached 80%+ and I'm ready to go with enough juice to reach my next destination (be it the final destination [ 😱 ] or the next pit stop).

I'm not entirely sure which version this is for. FastNed list it as Extended Range 64kWh so it could be either.

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 14.17.40.png

Their terminology error doesn't really matter - the LR and ER models both use NMC chemistry so the higher charge rate applies, so that curve would seem reasonable.

Hi Guys, I’m very interested in the MG4 ev. I’ve done quite a lot of research and still not sure which ones for me (standard or long range). I’ve been put off slightly by the battery on the LR, some make it sound dangerous! And the fact that you can only charge to 80%. I generally only do short trips, with the occasional 180 -200 mile trips. Can anyone please give me some advice. Thanks.
Hi Baldy, don't over think it! Just buy the range which suits 80-90% of your driving needs. No use carrying, and paying for, a larger heavier battery you only need 10% of the time. Keep in mind more chargers are going in all the time, again making larger batteries less needed.

As for different chemistries, they are all safe or they wouldn't be on the market. If NMC battery, just charge to 80% most of the time, simple!

Enjoy your EV when you get it 👍🌞🔋

When I got my SE SR I did think about the SE LR, but the number of times I'd need the additional range were quite low so the additional (then) £2.5k would pay for a hell of a lot of DC rapid charging sessions.

When I got my SE SR I did think about the SE LR, but the number of times I'd need the additional range were quite low so the additional (then) £2.5k would pay for a hell of a lot of DC rapid charging sessions.

Yeah, I was the same. I specifically thought about the journey I have to do next Saturday and how it might be possible without stopping to charge in the LR. But honestly, maybe twice a year? (OK four times if you count the return journeys.) And maybe another couple of long journeys which I'd probably have to stop and charge in anyway. Not worth it for me.

(Interestingly, ABRP still wants me to stop at Penrith and charge on that journey even in the LR, although for six minutes instead of 29 minutes. I suppose it's the winter range, because the journey is only 187 miles. Frankly, if I have to stop there an extra 20 minutes doesn't matter.)

Sounds like the SR would suit - with it's LFP battery and might give you longer life. However I do want to point out that my MG4 LR charges so fast when I am on long drives and can find a high power rapid charger. Having driven a Mk1 ZS (and still having it as second car) LFP battery car for nearly 4 years, it rarely charges above 30 kW even when on really low state of charge. The MG4 LR hits 130kW regularly - making charging to 80 or 85% so fast.
The MG ZS EV MK1 is NMC not LFP the 50kW rapid limit is imposed by the CCU and thermal constraints on the pack.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back