Battery equalisation on ZSEV Trophy LR

Btw the car seams to balance the cells in ready mode anyway with out charging
Screenshot_20230120-140705.png
Screenshot_20230120-141627.png

Done a quick video on monitoring BMS in ready mode and cabin heater switched on the cells are well balanced

I know this is completely useless information to most but some may find it interesting

I don't obsess about the battery - but the manual says to equalise regularly, the old car used to do it routinely, and I've never seen it happen on the new one. I'd rather not wait until the promised equalisation warning appears and then find it takes hours and hours, that's all.

Bit like checking the oil occasionally
This is one of the main reasons why I do charge EVERY NIGHT, plug it in when finished with the car in the evening and unplug it in the morning when I go to use it (usually around about 1100.

Regards

Frank

Following on from what Frank said;
Some ICE car enthusiasts just love to tinker with their pride and joy so that when you lift the bonnet, you need sunglasses to look at the gleaming engine, and they can probably quote every page of the Haynes manual (remember them?).

And some EV enthusiasts love to analyse all the data they squeeze get out of the OBD dongle and get the best performance they can, which is great, because we then benefit from their knowledge and experience when we have an issue.

Keep it up guys, you're doing a grand job. :)
I suppose I can,t argue with that, I am this way with my motorbikes and computers, not so much with my cars.

Frank

Btw the car seams to balance the cells in ready mode anyway with out charging View attachment 14637View attachment 14638
Done a quick video on monitoring BMS in ready mode and cabin heater switched on the cells are well balanced

I know this is completely useless information to most but some may find it interesting

Could you do a slightly less quick version that explains how to do that, please? :)

Btw the car seams to balance the cells in ready mode anyway with out charging View attachment 14637View attachment 14638

@N2STY I know you will really appreciate the detail that has gone into making this video, on reporting HV SOH battery health.
The "Wind Knife" is extremely hard to beat for efficiency thats for sure !.
The BMS has done an excellent job of looking after the battery on this car after covering 100,000 miles.
The consistent 4.12 volts reported in every single cell, was very impressive.
I DO like that Autel diag he is using !.

Thanks everyone for the input, but I must admit to a lack of certainty as to whether people are telling me what they think will happen, or have actually balanced/equalised a Mk II LR.

Incidentally, my MK I never took anything like 3-4 hours to balance, before or after the BMS upgrade. I didn't log it as such, but I'd take a guess at 1.5-2 hours. Somewhere in that region.

My car's at about 75% SOC at the moment. I will try and let it go down to the low warning coming on and see what happens then. That's a first step. Hopefully I won't have to charge it for a long trip before then.

Incidentally, does anyone know when the warning does come on on a LR model? I think it was 25% SOC on the Mk I, but I imagine it's a lot lower on the LR because of the increased capacity/range. The manual doesn't say, as far as I can find.
I had a warning come on and limp home mode around 5% i think but warnings did start a bit earlier.

This is taken from the MG spec for the release on the the face lift model ?.
lithium-ion battery on both ?.

View attachment 14650
Yes but 2 different types

• Both NMC and LFP batteries are types of lithium ion batteries.
  • (Long range) Nickel manganese cobalt (NMC) batteries contain a cathode, made of a combination of nickel, manganese, and cobalt
  • (Standard range) Lithium iron phosphate (LFP) batteries have a lithium iron phosphate cathode

Last edited:
How long do you leave the charge going after 100%?
Depends on if you rapid charge a lot that can put the cells out of balance, it might only take 20 minutes or a few hours but it only draws 300w and then then turns off.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom