Battery heater option in settings

Since the last updates of the MG I smart app it shows in the charging screen Battery heating status. Is there a trigger in de app to turn this on when the car is connected to the wallbox prior to departing on a journey?
WhatsApp Image 2023-01-06 at 11.23.58.jpeg

With our Tesla turning on the HVAC during cold winterdays it would trigger the battery heater if the car thought the battery was to cold.

Since the last updates of the MG I smart app it shows in the charging screen Battery heating status. Is there a trigger in de app to turn this on when the car is connected to the wallbox prior to departing on a journey?
View attachment 14289
With our Tesla turning on the HVAC during cold winterdays it would trigger the battery heater if the car thought the battery was to cold.
Interesting I have the latest update but do not see that option.

That is interesting indeed, it would be nice if this would be available aswell to trigger on a wallbox.
Yeah I think funny it is not there all the time. Specially as you can turn the heater on while not charging.

Curious did you turn it on or did it come on by itself?
In the current app you do not have the possibility to turn it on. Funny though that i had a 55km drive ending with 25km of highway and still it is heating the battery after plugging in right away and charging at 11kw. I guess it has something to do with the cold.

In the current app you do not have the possibility to turn it on. Funny though that i had a 55km drive ending with 25km of highway and still it is heating the battery after plugging in right away and charging at 11kw. I guess it has something to do with the cold.
I did notice there is no option in the app but there is on the info system. The only time I have seen mine on is when I turned it on as I was approaching a rapid charger. Not seen it come on for fast charging. Interesting yours has come on by itself.

The heater's come on by itself because you're charging to 100% and activates at 80%. Only reason I know this is that I checked the app on my last charge and at 79%, no heater and then 80%, heating.
I wonder if this has to do with the weather. I will check during better weather conditions if it still does it when you charge past 80 percent.
I did notice there is no option in the app but there is on the info system. The only time I have seen mine on is when I turned it on as I was approaching a rapid charger. Not seen it come on for fast charging. Interesting yours has come on by itself.
Indeed and that on a 11kw wallbox. I will check Pebble his statement.

Charging today at 8 degrees, on a rapid...still doesnt stay on... Only getting 45kwh...ive had 90 in decent weather... Really frustrating

Nope...that's the point..it won't turn on..keeps reverting to off..whether plugged in or not..I think they broke it when they updated my KERs firmware. Worked fine last winter..

Nope...that's the point..it won't turn on..keeps reverting to off..whether plugged in or not..I think they broke it when they updated my KERs firmware. Worked fine last winter..
Oh, sorry to hear that. Mine works well in facelift trophy.

I have use the battery heater setting regularly to preheat and improve rapid charge speeds for mg5 lr. I looked at the power screen and it seems to pull about 15 amps from the hv battery until it decides the battery is warm enough and then come on again if the battery cold too much. I also turned it on while watching the power draw on particularly cold day and it did not draw any extra current which does seem to suggest the automatic battery heating had already taken place to protect the battery ftom the cold.

Glad yours works, but my LR MG5 doesn't, and is frustrating in winter as that's when it's needed the most for long journeys

Glad yours works, but my LR MG5 doesn't, and is frustrating in winter as that's when it's needed the most for long journeys
Just thought another confirmation of expected functionality might help someone get mg to sort it

All EV batteries should have automatic battery heating and cooling to keep battery within a temp range so that they can deliver enough current for optimal performance of drivetrain.
DC charging is at higher current than what typically a drivetrain needs and may need warmer battery to achieve those high figures that manufacturers quote. If you have an option and switch on preheating you can keep the battery warm enough to accept high speed, the automatic system just makes sure that battery temp does not drop below the minimum.

Also, while charging if the battery gets cold, the heater will kick in and power is divided between battery and heating at the same time. Sometimes you will see energy lost(don't expect it to be a big figure though).

I believe for Tesla cars, the navigation informs the car if you are heading to a rapid charger and it automatically warms the battery enough for a rapid charge in low temp.

Used a rapid charger for the first time yesterday and battery heating came on, the charge rate increased as the battery got warmer, maxing out at about 60, the battery heater turned off automatically after about 25 mins when the charge rate jumped by a few kw. This is a ZS.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom