Battery Range > 300miles 4.6m/kwH - 481m round trip

IMG_3835.png

481 miles, 4.6 miles per kwh. Cruise control speed set at 60mph.

Best bits:
It got me there and back - as expected.
Other people at the chargers saved my life, told me how to get the charger to work and more importantly told me that to stop the charger you needed to reuse your card (makes sense - as it stops someone just pushing the stop charge button when you are away). Without the help of others I would have been stuck. The instructions on the chargers are just not good enough.
Kept the AC on, but used Eco mode and the additional setting to be low energy ....can't remember what it is called. seemed to be kept cool.

Bad bits:
1) After a couple of hours an annoying cup started flashing and the car kept bonging as if the door was open. Could not turn it off!
2) Connected my phone to have spotify and googlemaps - every so often the sound went low, had to unplug and replug to get the volume back up. VERY ANNOYING
3) Connected to a 60kwh charger in Morley, car stopped charging after 2%, so I restarted the charge, stopped again after 2% and said contact MG dealer as fault with high voltage battery.
4) Used the MG Touchpoint feature on the app to try and get technical support or take the car in for help. Both MG dealers, first I tried did not have anyone to answer the phone in servicing, the other never answered the phone. So never going to rely on that as a fall back, not that I think they would have been able to help on a drop in urgent basis anyhow.

With 11% charge and 30miles and a 240mile drive home - that was very concerning. Jumped to another charger at Morley McDonalds and was able to charge to 97%
and 290miles range. No problems. But be aware that charging point has a total 90minute parking limit, so if you charge and go for a McDonalds and run over 90minutes you will get a fine.

5) Tried to use Electroverse, Chargepoint, Bank card, phone payment and finally a third bank card worked - whew!
6) At some point the car starts to nag to recharge, this would be good at 10% or 30miles of expected range, but it starts somewhere around 20% so you have nagging for upto 30miles of driving!

Pic 1 ) Ready to go - snap the starting screen.
View attachment 17640

Pic 2) Safely home - annoying cup.
View attachment 17641

Pic 3) Just before the charger conked out at Morley leisure centre.
View attachment 17650

Pic 4) Target at 100% is 312miles!
View attachment 17651

Loved the drive, stress less at 60mph on adaptive cruise control. Have done a charge at a charge station - hurrah I am free to roam the country!

This is a great story, tell us more!
I stopped on M4 Welcome break I fell over backwards, 6 Applegreen chargers for 12 EV’s and 2 Gridserve for 4 EV’s up yo 165 KwH, 75p no brainer charging, just plug in pay by credit card or by phone for Apple pay,, hit start. Job done. I believe Welcome break has woken up and for the icing on the cake about 12 charger# for Tesla users. Full marks to Welcome break services

I stopped at Gretna and had the same reaction, pretty much the same facilities. But I couldn't get AppleGreen to talk to my car and ended up on a Gridserve one.

So I had £90 frozen in my account by AppleGreen for "authorisation", although to be fair the charges disappeared in a few days.

Does anyone know what the steaming cup of coffee symbol means? (Does the car think the driver needs one to stay awake?😂)
This is the Driver Attention Warning. It thinks you're falling asleep. It will keep beeping until you stop, or I think it stopped after an extremely irritating 20 minutes on my first really long journey, as I was about to drive it into a wall to shut it up!!

Looked at the manual and worked out what it was. You can turn it off on the Safety tab, I think.

Trip up to Derby today in the MG4 Trophy. Exceptionally impressed with the range. Made the round trip without needing to charge up. Total potential range of 323 miles.

Attachments

• IMG_1574.jpeg
    IMG_1574.jpeg
    351.5 KB · Views: 102
Trip up to Derby today in the MG4 Trophy. Exceptionally impressed with the range. Made the round trip without needing to charge up. Total potential range of 323 miles.
Those figures don't make any sense. With an efficiency of 3.7 mi/kwh it has used ~78kWh to do the 287 miles. If it did manage 323 miles at 3.7 mi/kWh that would mean it has a battery capacity of 87 kWh.

Is it possible that it didn't reset properly after your last charge?

Those figures don't make any sense. With an efficiency of 3.7 mi/kwh it has used ~78kWh to do the 287 miles. If it did manage 323 miles at 3.7 mi/kWh that would mean it has a battery capacity of 87 kWh.

Is it possible that it didn't reset properly after your last charge?
That’s always a possibility. Just exceptionally pleased with the total range we got out of a single journey. She was reading 4.6 ml/kWh earlier, although not sure if what’s shown is last or average figure.

We did receive an audio voice at 20% left saying recharge as soon as possible.

Just regarding the 90min overstay penalty...On Rapid chargers the charging speed drops massively once the battery is 80/85% charged, so the generally the charging ettiquette is to stop at that point to allow others to charge. This isnt of course why McDs have the penalty, but it does stop people plugging into rapid chargers and leaving them for 2/3 hours - which is a good thing considering the lack of Rapid charging infrastructure.

That's fair. It's overstay penalties at type 2 chargers that bug me. People want to be able to park their car on one of these and go away and do whatever it is they came to do. They don't want to be looking at their watch during a meeting or while at the theatre or even shopping, thinking "I've got to get back to move the car." They should be able to leave their car in that parking space as long as they need to, even overnight. If these chargers are over-subscribed, install more.

That's fair. It's overstay penalties at type 2 chargers that bug me. People want to be able to park their car on one of these and go away and do whatever it is they came to do. They don't want to be looking at their watch during a meeting or while at the theatre or even shopping, thinking "I've got to get back to move the car." They should be able to leave their car in that parking space as long as they need to, even overnight. If these chargers are over-subscribed, install more.
I think in future we need loads and loads of 3.5kW chargers for opportunistic “just leave it there while you’re doing stuff” top-ups. So many of them that overstaying is never a problem. They could be 7kW if that’s just as cheap to install. But they could also be smart enough to throttle the rate based on surge pricing, how badly this car says it wants the juice (more desperate = more expensive) and managing the overall load on the street’s supply.

Wouldn't that be a thing!

The type 2 chargers in Cambridge Street car park bug me. I've never seen (through ZapMap, checked often) more than three connectors out of the eight available actually charging at any one time. When I went there none were in use. However, knowing they're limited to four hours, and knowing that you get an instant £40 penalty for exceeding that, I had to hang around for about half an hour before I dared start the charge, as I was going to the theatre and didn't dare get into the situation where the four hours was up while the performance was still underway. (I had arrived early to scope out the chargers as I'd never even seen them before, despite having used that car park since about 1972.)

While I was hanging around another car came to charge, with the owner saying he was only going to stay for three hours anyway. When I returned to the car someone else was also charging. That was it. As far as I can see, only two connectors in use at any one time all evening.

You pay through the nose to park in that car park. OK it's not so bad after six because there's a flat rate for the evening/night, but during the day it costs a bloody fortune. Nobody is going to stay there just for the hell of it even in an ICE car, believe me. EVs pay for the parking the same as everyone else. I totally fail to see the point of the £40 overstay fine on the chargers.

One day they will have to put in more charging points as EV ownership increases. If their present capacity is often exceeded, one day should be now. But it isn't, quite obviously. So why the £40 deterrant? - this is way in excess of the cost of the electricity anyone could possibly take on board at 40p a unit for four hours!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 529 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back