Bit of reassurance for the MG5

MG5 - 464 litres of boot space
ID3 - 385 litres of boot space.
So if you felt the ID3 was large enough the MG should suffice.

When I looked at the id3 I was more impressed with the cabin space and feel, the boot was largely ignored. The missus was worried by the boot space, but we were looking at getting her a Kamiq that has a slightly bigger car. I also didn't keep the buggy in my car then. How times change :)

Excellent, thanks for that Ayres, good to know. I wasn't expecting it to be as good as my old ST! I will be mostly B road blasting so good to know it isn't a lemon.
When you first drive it, it will feel a bit floaty and not very reassuring when cornering. It does however stick to the road fairly well, it's just something you'll have to get used to. It is however pretty quick off the line up to 30 :)

Last edited:
I just got one a few weeks ago, I have a set of 4-year-old twins, and car seats are fine; loading the kids is easy as the car sits high.

Having rust-proofed the underside last week, I got a good look at how it is constructed, and it is a little "agricultural," the welds aren't very neat, and of course, there's no independent rear suspension. (I'd be interested to know if some of the weldings are actually done by hand, no doubt someone here will know.) It's a sturdy, practical, and cheap car - which has its own charm in itself.

For comparison, I also have a Toyota and a Merc and drive lots of hire cars for work, the interior is no worse in terms of quality than a Ford Fiesta but will be way short of an Audi and although it drives comfortably enough - you won't be tempted to push on.

My brother has a £600000 Tesla, so obviously hates my MG 5, which is part of the reason I quite like it! It's a Morris Minor for the modern age.

I will be mostly B road blasting so good to know it isn't a lemon.

When you first drive it, it will feel a bit floaty and not very reassuring when cornering. It does however stick to the road fairly well

although it drives comfortably enough - you won't be tempted to push on.

It's not a "B road blaster" by any means, particularly if they are not dead smooth. Think of it more as a cruiser.

Your whinging a lot @Tweed98 lots of guys on here have tried to put you right and give a positive feedback and every time you you just moan a bit more and go on and on and on about the ID3 be thankful your even getting a company car and just give it a go .

Your whinging a lot @Tweed98 lots of guys on here have tried to put you right and give a positive feedback and every time you you just moan a bit more and go on and on and on about the ID3 be thankful your even getting a company car and just give it a go .
I feel the opposite tbh. I've had fun reading this thread, I feel it has been light-hearted and helpful, and @Tweed98 has responded well (imo) to those who have reassured him.

It is a big change for many coming from ice cars to electric, and it makes sense to me to have concerns about the MG brand (I certainly did until I read lots of good reviews about the '5') as it was being dragged through the mud by the end of its British ownership (many people's views may vary on that last point!).

it makes sense to me to have concerns about the MG brand
MG is in a period of transition from being a producer of outdated ICE models from other manufacturers to being a producer of modern up to date EVs. The MG5 is part of the transition but, in pre-facelift guise, not something attractive to most petrolheads or people seeking a status symbol. It's logical, practical, and economical rather than exciting. As a driving experience it will be way behind a 2013 Focus ST wagon and a 2018 Leon, particularly if you don't pay for fuel or prioritise the environment.
Frankly I see a company seeking to save considerable money from an employees benefit.

It's my 'beige' car. It's not overly attractive or fun to drive. But it is easy and comfortable to drive. It's economic. Ticks the environment box. It's my sensible commute vehicle which is perfect for my 18k/year usage.

Lots of early reviews of the Standard Range pointed out understeer when cornering. But I honestly can't say that this carried through to the long range. It goes around bends better than the cursed Smart fortwo I had for a while.

I understand the apprehension, it's not your choice of vehicle. Its what the company is giving you. For some time the perception is that company cars are also status symbols and are usually models/brands reinforce that. Sounds like your company are doing company cars on the economic side of things but that's their perogative.

It's my 'beige' car. It's not overly attractive or fun to drive. But it is easy and comfortable to drive. It's economic. Ticks the environment box. It's my sensible commute vehicle which is perfect for my 18k/year usage.

Lots of early reviews of the Standard Range pointed out understeer when cornering. But I honestly can't say that this carried through to the long range. It goes around bends better than the cursed Smart fortwo I had for a while.

I understand the apprehension, it's not your choice of vehicle. Its what the company is giving you. For some time the perception is that company cars are also status symbols and are usually models/brands reinforce that. Sounds like your company are doing company cars on the economic side of things but that's their perogative.
It’s like with trucks , it’s their money so their choice (I only drive the truck not own it ) , if the accountant says you’ve only got X amount for company car then X brand is all you’ll get

When I looked at the id3 I was more impressed with the cabin space and feel, the boot was largely ignored. The missus was worried by the boot space, but we were looking at getting her a Kamiq that has a slightly bigger car. I also didn't keep the buggy in my car then. How times change :)
Although maybe better in some areas, it sounds like the ID3 might no longer have been the ideal choice, if you now need the extra boot space ?

Are you never passing St Albans, or somewhere else with an MG dealer, just to get a look ?

I'm aware it is a first-world problem, but due to the company policy this car it will be mine for four years whether I like it or not, can't give it back can't swap it etc. and didn't have time to go see it in the flesh before deciding.

The VW had been signed up to for 2 months prior to the MG swap so I had run out of time to source a car I liked before my current lease expired (3 and a bit months by then) and as mentioned earlier the savings of the company car had been put towards my wife car not leaving me with much to change my mind with.

I also got like this when swapping to the Leon from the Focus, the test drive Leon had a smaller engine and was the bottom trim level and I had forgot the smaller details of how it felt and went also dealers only ever want to take you on big straight roads!

I might well love it or at least like it, but my priorities have always been tech and handling, not fussed by looks as I'm inside it, internal finishes other than the steering wheel don't get touched by me so I don't care. Driving is one of the few pleasures I get now I've got a child to look after (and only once I've dropped him off at his Grandparents of course!)

Oh FYI I only mention the VW 4 times in 8 posts as that car is my only reference point to EVs as I knew a Tesla would be out of my price range!

It’s like with trucks , it’s their money so their choice (I only drive the truck not own it ) , if the accountant says you’ve only got X amount for company car then X brand is all you’ll get

Yes, I agree it is their money and as I don't do much company mileage e.g. I haven't been out in 15 months for work, it is very much a perk. It is also a perk they need to attract and keep talent as they moved the office out into the sticks so it is inconvenient for all and we have no flexible working at all. A load of people are taking the allowance now as they live in flats or are unable to park near their houses to charge, as I mentioned only 2 charging points available at the office ATM. The ones in their 20s and 30s just don't like the car at all so are changing to allowances. We have a lot of Beemers, Mercs and Audis parked in our car park now and they ain't the managers cars! Also the managers got Merc EVs so not really trying to save that much money!

It's logical, practical, and economical rather than exciting. As a driving experience it will be way behind a 2013 Focus ST wagon and a 2018 Leon, particularly if you don't pay for fuel or prioritise the environment.
Frankly I see a company seeking to save considerable money from an employees benefit.

I don't want to admit practical is a requirement yet! I have to balance wanting to be environmental with being able to afford it. The company EV car seemed a good way to do that as when I looked at prices they just didn't stack up with the mileage I do and the premium on the purchase/lease. Since lockdown I've really noticed the traffic smell and really like the idea of emissions-free driving, just worried that the electricity and battery production is pushing the filth of my driving into someone else area.

I feel the opposite tbh. I've had fun reading this thread, I feel it has been light-hearted and helpful, and @Tweed98 has responded well (imo) to those who have reassured him.

It is a big change for many coming from ice cars to electric, and it makes sense to me to have concerns about the MG brand (I certainly did until I read lots of good reviews about the '5') as it was being dragged through the mud by the end of its British ownership (many people's views may vary on that last point!).
Thanks, Padaung, I'm definitely not criticising anyone's opinion of the car they spent their hard earned cash on, horses for courses! It just that the brochure doesn't show some details and having not had time to drive out to the dealers this seemed the best way of finding out answers I haven't seen on other threads.
I didn't see a positive review until that video review from CarWow although aware they are trying to sell them too!

Sorry for the long post all!

Although maybe better in some areas, it sounds like the ID3 might no longer have been the ideal choice, if you now need the extra boot space ?

Are you never passing St Albans, or somewhere else with an MG dealer, just to get a look ?

I was considering an estate, either the Leon or the Octavia in ICE.

Since lockdown I've really noticed the traffic smell and really like the idea of emissions-free driving, just worried that the electricity and battery production is pushing the filth of my driving into someone else area.
I'm fairly sure that the drilling and oil well disasters (some well documented others less so), and transporting, and shipping accidents (some well documented others less so), and refining of the oil was in someone else's area too. :)

The ones in their 20s and 30s just don't like the car at all so are changing to allowances. We have a lot of Beemers, Mercs and Audis parked in our car park now and they ain't the managers cars! Also the managers got Merc EVs so not really trying to save that much money!

I don't do much company mileage e.g. I haven't been out in 15 months for work, it is very much a perk.

the savings of the company car had been put towards my wife car

I think that you know that you have compromised your status symbol perk to give your Wife a better car, and are now regretting what that means.

It's my 'beige' car.

Exactly. It'll do what you need to safely, comfortably, economically, and more environmentally friendly get you and your family around. But it will mark you out as beige at work and the golf club.

I was considering an estate, either the Leon or the Octavia in ICE.
Apologies if it sounds like I'm nit picking, I'm just curious. I thought the thrust of the question was, is the MG5 worse in key areas than the ID3, (one of them being boot space) as I thought you'd agreed to receive the ID3 (which was changed out last minute) so you would have received an ID3 had it not been switched ?

I think that you know that you have compromised your status symbol perk to give your Wife a better car, and are now regretting what that means.

Exactly. It'll do what you need to safely, comfortably, economically, and more environmentally friendly get you and your family around. But it will mark you out as beige at work and the golf club.
Pretty much, although like I said when her car was ordered I was getting a car I had previously coveted. Now I'm getting a car I have no previous experience of, hence asking strangers for reassurance! Anyone who follows me now gets the facelift version 5LR with shiny new tech inside it :sick: ::envy::!

I'm not fussed by the badge if I like the car hence, Ford and Seat when the others were buying overpriced German stuff with the same toys that I had, and in some cases less due to the cost of the badge.

Speaking to you guys does make me feel quite a bit better about the 5.

Speaking to you guys does make me feel quite a bit better about the 5.
That's pleasing as I feel you are getting an unwarranted rough ride from a few.

I've old and retired (well, not SO old yet) and I've been through a few fun cars in my time. My last car was a PHEV (Vauxhall Ampera, quite rare), but I will admit this car is a pleasure to drive for it's quietness and speed away from the lights. I don't worry so much as some about squeezing every last mile out of a tankful so even though it may not be the prettiest car on the road I manage to make it fun to drive when I need to.

I hope you'll be happy with it!

Mate got a Tesla just after I got my 5 and his has way more toys and it’s the quick one so silly fast but way less comfortable for commute.
And so far this year I have spent 380 hours in my car so I deff made the right choice.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom