Car not charging on DC chargers / Fault code P1EB2 Battery Interface Control Module 1 Not Programmed

The bit that didn't impress me hugely was the fact that my car was parked outside someone's house in another town and not at the dealership.

When I asked them about it they told me that this wasn't the case and it was locked in their compound. I said that if that was the case I would like them to look at the tracker as well because it showed that the car was at XYZ address and then they admitted it.

They didn't show it charging, all they did was tell me that the person responsible for quality control had taken it to a DC charger and that it worked. I presume he did this after work hours and then took the car home with him having left his at the site.
So you did see the charge? If not, they were simply lying...

I went to London from Leicester, and found the problem on my return journey. Eventually used one of the slow chargers at a service station and got fined for exceeding 2 hours! Not one of my best trips.
Not sure I understand this - either you were charging or not - its easy to understand if you look at the numerous displays?

Not sure I understand this - either you were charging or not - its easy to understand if you look at the numerous displays?
Won’t charge on a rapid charger, the charger starts the handshake and then the car terminates the connection.
On the lower power chargers 7kW like at home there are no problems fortunately.

I did not see it. I share your cynicism.

How would you see the charge ? Unless you were looking at the app at the exact time the car was charging you’d never know ?

I doubt they would leave it charging for long so you wouldn’t even notice the % charge change

How would you see the charge ? Unless you were looking at the app at the exact time the car was charging you’d never know ?

I doubt they would leave it charging for long so you wouldn’t even notice the % charge change
I was asked if I saw them charging it, I said that I didn’t.

I suspect they probably did try to charge it, but didn’t check it properly and saw the Pod Point app (the charger they told me used was a Pod Point one) say it was charging but didn’t bother to check the car or the charger to see if it actually was. Or - less likely - they tested on on the AC plug on the charger not the DC one but I don’t think they are that stupid.

The car also said it had done over 40 miles since the last charge which would tie in with them testing it on an AC charger in the workshop and then the journeys that were done in it afterwards.

The alternative is that they fixed it, tested it and it was charging on a DC charger but the issue immediately came back which seems somewhat less likely - but not impossible.

If he knows the % left over when dropping the car, the distance driven with consumption details will tell you if the percentage when the car is given back means they charged it or not. The only thing you do not know is how they charged it (dc or ac).
There is an option to alert you in the app when the car exits or enters a X distance around a set point. Never tried it could help next time...

Last edited:
If he knows the % left over when dropping the car, the distance driven with consumtion details will tell you if the percentage when the car is given back means they charged it or not. The only thing you do not know is how they charged it (dc or ac).
There is an option to alert. you in the app when the car exits or enters a X distance around a set point. Never tried it could help next time...

Interesting, do you happen to know where in the app you can set that up please ?

Hi all,

Trip to London planned yesterday, first long distance trip since car allegedly had update on last visit to dealer. Liverpool to London 221 miles, left with 100% and decided to stop at Rugby services just past Coventry to fast charge.

This was were it all started to go wrong. Several chargers tried but car would not connect, stuck with 73 miles range, not enough to get home or to London. Rang local MG dealer in Coventry but they told me they couldn't help as too busy and told me to ring AA recovery. Did this and he arrived 60 minutes later. Car has fault code P1EB2 HYB/DCM. He cleared the code and tried the charger, still no difference. He then disconnected battery and left it for ten minutes, still no joy.

He told me he would tow me back to my local dealer and drop car off, rang dealer and explained, they told me they will not accept the vehicle as they are too busy. AA engineer spoke to the lady and he told her she can't refuse a defective vehicle, she then told him that she could and told me to phone other MG dealers to see if they could fit me in.

Ended conversation with the lady as no way I was phoning around as it would have been same story. AA towed me back to local service station so I could make my way home. Vehicle is now outside house with all sorts of amber warnings on the screen for safety system errors.

I rang MG customer support who told me to contact head office with email to explain situation as they are the only ones who can authorise a hire car as I'm not sure the vehicle should be driven in its condition.

Hi all,

Trip to London planned yesterday, first long distance trip since car allegedly had update on last visit to dealer. Liverpool to London 221 miles, left with 100% and decided to stop at Rugby services just past Coventry to fast charge.

This was were it all started to go wrong. Several chargers tried but car would not connect, stuck with 73 miles range, not enough to get home or to London. Rang local MG dealer in Coventry but they told me they couldn't help as too busy and told me to ring AA recovery. Did this and he arrived 60 minutes later. Car has fault code P1EB2 HYB/DCM. He cleared the code and tried the charger, still no difference. He then disconnected battery and left it for ten minutes, still no joy.

He told me he would tow me back to my local dealer and drop car off, rang dealer and explained, they told me they will not accept the vehicle as they are too busy. AA engineer spoke to the lady and he told her she can't refuse a defective vehicle, she then told him that she could and told me to phone other MG dealers to see if they could fit me in.

Ended conversation with the lady as no way I was phoning around as it would have been same story. AA towed me back to local service station so I could make my way home. Vehicle is now outside house with all sorts of amber warnings on the screen for safety system errors.

I rang MG customer support who told me to contact head office with email to explain situation as they are the only ones who can authorise a hire car as I'm not sure the vehicle should be driven in its condition.

How old is your car and is it only DC chargers you're having issues with, does it charge at home ok?

Hi all,

Have you connected it to a 7kW or granny EVSE to see if it sorts itself out?

How old is your car and is it only DC chargers your having issues with, does it charge at home ok ?
Car purchased last March, will try home charger in the morning as only just got back from London after using a different vehicle.

Have you connected it to a 7kWh or granny EVSE to see if it sorts itself out?
Hi,
Will do this tomorrow morning, just returned from London. Will update tomorrow

Just looked at error code on this site and it appears other people have had the same issue.

Mod: I've moved all the posts about this to the relevant thread, thanks for finding it.

Hope you get it sorted. Hopefully it will not be too much of a headache. It could happen to any of us so good to hear your experience despite it being very frustrating and not what you would expect.

Having done a bit of thread merging, I'm not sure if we have two problems with the same effect (of not charging on DC chargers) or whether it's all the same thing. Two people separately mentioning fault code P1EB2, but someone else mentioning a situation where the car was erroneously telling the charger the battery was at 86ºC and the charger (somewhat understandably) then refusing to have anything to do with this situation.

I also note that I still haven't found the thread I recall from July/August last year which described the same thing, and I don't know what the conclusion was about that one.

Morning all, faults on vehicle have now cleared and it's taking a 7kw hour charge at home. So it appears the vehicle has issues with the fast chargers only.

Car booked into dealership on the 18th March for service and to look at this fault. Contacted MG about the issue of not being able to use the vehicle for long distances and the nearest booking is a month away, they told me they can't control how busy dealers are. Did mention the vehicle is not fit for purpose in the hope they may supply hire vehicle for the month period.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 529 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back