CCS Communications Problems

My car is currently fully charged, but I'm heading to Glasgow this evening to take a friend out to dinner and a show for her birthday. I actually pass one of the very few Tesla superchargers in Scotland on the way home (Eurocentral, in the car park of the Dakota hotel - where we might actually have been having dinner if she'd chosen a movie instead of a stage play) and I might swing by and see what the queue is like. It's going to be after ten by then, maybe the rush will have abated. I'll probably still be on over 60% charge, but the idea of getting some free leccy from Elon is attractive.

Are those Tesla chargers at the Dakota open to non-Tesla cars? I don't think they are. (They're not listed in the Tesla app as open).

Are those Tesla chargers at the Dakota open to non-Tesla cars? I don't think they are. (They're not listed in the Tesla app as open).

The story is that all Tesla superchargers today are dispensing free juice to any EV at all. If that isn't the case, no harm done, but that's the story I'm hearing.

The story is that all Tesla superchargers today are dispensing free juice to any EV at all. If that isn't the case, no harm done, but that's the story I'm hearing.
Here's the announcement tweet again. If it was all superchargers, then they wouldn't need to differentiate the "open to all EVs" ones.

Here's the announcement tweet again. If it was all superchargers, then they wouldn't need to differentiate the "open to all EVs" ones.

Here's what I was going on, from Autocar.

1693311774885.png

It's possible Autocar has the wrong end of the stick, though. I can always go see - it's about a quarter of a mile out of my way!

It's possible Autocar has the wrong end of the stick, though.
They often do.
I can always go see - it's about a quarter of a mile out of my way!
By all means, although if Tesla were to suddenly open their entire UK network to everyone, I'd expect more of a fuss about it.

It's possible Autocar has the wrong end of the stick, though. I can always go see - it's about a quarter of a mile out of my way!
Make sure to look at the signage - you may need to go into the hotel to register your VRM to avoid getting a "begging letter" (AKA a PCN) through the post. ;)

After reading about a lot of users issues/failed rapid charging attempts, and with one of my friends having to try several times to start a charge on his xc40 with mfg chargers before success, I decided to try my first rapid charge last night. I searched for the nearest using the electroverse app which was an ionity, selected the charger number & started the session using the app and fortunately had no issues. Car was at 22% when I started, charged for 14 mins which left me on 68, achieved impressive speeds!
IMG_20230829_004402.jpg

Make sure to look at the signage - you may need to go into the hotel to register your VRM to avoid getting a "begging letter" (AKA a PCN) through the post. ;)

Might not be worth all the hassle. I do eat at that hotel quite often though. I don't remember if I had to give my car reg number - I don't think so.

After reading about a lot of users issues/failed rapid charging attempts, and with one of my friends having having to try several times to start a charge on his xc40 with mfg chargers before success, I decided to try my first rapid charge last night. I searched for the nearest using the electroverse app which was an ionity, selected the charger number & started the session using the app and fortunately had no issues. Car was at 22% when I started, charged for 14 mins which left me on 68, achieved impressive speeds!View attachment 19851

Let's not go into the grief, hassle and time-wasting I endured trying to use Ionity's ten days ago. I can only hope there was some unusual glitch going on. Some people were charging on them, but others were having trouble and phoning the helpline.

Which method did you try to start the session i.e. contactless payment card, RFID, or through an app?

I was using the app. I became locked in a cycle of being repeatedly thrown back to the page where I had to enter my bank card details whenever I tried to start the charge. When I phoned the helpline things only got worse, but possibly because at that point my phone was beginning to die and the first symptom was slow internet. In the end the helpline person started the charge remotely, and then I got an email saying they were waiving the fee as a gesture of goodwill. It's put me off Ionity though, I have to say.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back