Charging speed query

clemfandango

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Not sure if i doing something wrong here but any advise would be appreciated - SE SR received yesterday - first time charging today at work on the 22kw charger using the MG supplied 32a type 2 cable but i'm only getting 3.27kw charging power, i would have expected around 7kw - battery was at 69% when i started charging, am i missing something obvious here?

When using AC charging, the bit that does the charging (transformer etc.) is in the car.
The MG4 only supports up to 11kw

When using AC charging, the bit that does the charging (transformer etc.) is in the car.
The MG4 only supports up to 11kw
The Phase 1 car supports 11Kw, the Phase 2 car is limited to 7Kw. Doesnt explain why OP is only getting 3.27Kw though

Firstly is the SR wont do three phase, single phase only, which will take the 22kw available down a lot.
Secondly the max the SR can charge off AC is around 7kw
Two other things to bear in mind, one is the battery management system which will vary the charging speed based on lots of criteria, temp, battery charge level, wind direction etc.
Second is the cable which will also limit the charge to the max it can handle.

I was getting over 5 Kw on a charger in a theatre car park which was advertised as giving only 3 to 8 Kw depending on the circumstances. So even though the OP's car is an SR (like mine), I'd have thought he'd be getting more than just 3 Kw.

Hi,

Presume charger at work is free, so whatever you get is free and a bonus right away. However in answer to your question you are NOT do anything wrong. Hope it has been explained to you by the dealer (but probably not). There are two types of charge AC and DC charging. AC charging which by the name suggests is being charged from an AC source, examples; home chargepoint, granny charger and 22kwh chargers. These chargers put AC into the car and the cars on board charger converts it to DC to charge the battery. The conversion rate of your on board charger determines the charge rate (almost all EVs AC charge at a rate of 11kvh but usually 7kvh, only the Renault Zoe can AC charge at 22kvh). DC charging bypasses the car's on board charger and puts DC directly to the battery, examples almost all rapid chargers. An easy way to know whether you are charging AC or DC is this, if you are only using the top bit of the charge port then it's AC, if you have to remove the little flap to plug into the charge port then it's DC. Note: there are also some 44Kwh AC chargers out in the field but you will have the same problem as your work home charger. Hope this helps

Frank

PS buying a three phase cable (your cable is probably only a two phase cable) will get you closer to 7Kwh from your work charger but at £140 for a new cable it is not cost effective unless your work charger was part of your reason for buying an EV and you haven't got a home charger.
PLS just seen that your car only does single phase charging then if so you will never get 7kvh from a public AC charger only 3 no matter what cable you use. Sorry. Note: you will get nearly 7 from a home charger.

(One Phase)

Did your dealer explain about controlling the charging via the info screen? As mg4mc says you can control the charging current and thus power. Yours may well be set low. Check by tapping the battery icon to see the charging screen.

PS buying a three phase cable (your cable is probably only a two phase cable) will get you closer to 7Kwh from your work charger but at £140 for a new cable it is not cost effective unless your work charger was part of your reason for buying an EV and you haven't got a home charger.
unfortunately in this case the OP has an SR which does not do 3 phase.

Not sure if i doing something wrong here but any advise would be appreciated - SE SR received yesterday - first time charging today at work on the 22kw charger using the MG supplied 32a type 2 cable but i'm only getting 3.27kw charging power, i would have expected around 7kw - battery was at 69% when i started charging, am i missing something obvious here?
You are not missing anything obvious. You should expect to get ~6.6kW when using a 22kW charger. Does somebody have another cable that you can try? Have you used the same cable on a different charger and got more power?

Car is set to Max current so that's covered - i'll try one of the other chargers at work later today to rule that out. I'll give it a go with my partners ZOE cable which is definitely 32A - i assumed that the MG branded cable would be 32A - @Frank - so regardless of 16a/32a cable on a public 22kw charger i'll only ever get 3? Not charged at home yet so will be try that out later and hopefully see 7kw...appreciate all the advice thanks.

Loving the car so far, MY23 version - have checked for all the usual faults and seems good so far - R21 software seems stable and responsive.

If you have a 22kW (32A) 3-phase Type 2 cable then you'll get 7kW (or thereabouts) charge rate (with a single phase onboard charger - which I believe is standard across all MY23 MG4 cars; MY22 LR cars came with a 3-phase 11kW onboard charger).

Car is set to Max current so that's covered - i'll try one of the other chargers at work later today to rule that out. I'll give it a go with my partners ZOE cable which is definitely 32A - i assumed that the MG branded cable would be 32A - @Frank - so regardless of 16a/32a cable on a public 22kw charger i'll only ever get 3? Not charged at home yet so will be try that out later and hopefully see 7kw...appreciate all the advice thanks.

Loving the car so far, MY23 version - have checked for all the usual faults and seems good so far - R21 software seems stable and responsive.
In essence yes with a 16amp cable you will only get a max of 3k on any ac charge point with 32amp cable you will get a max of just under 7kw, with a sr MG4, phase 1 (my22-23) LR cars can use 3 phase and with a 3 phase 32amp cable could charge on ac up to 11kw

Last edited:
In essence yes with a 16amp cable you will only get a max of 3k on any ac charge point with 32amp cable you will get a max of just under 7kw, with a sr MG4, MY22 LR cars can use 3 phase and with a 3 phase 32amp cable could charge on ac up to 11kw
FTFY ;)

MY23 LR cars are now 7kW single phase - for the UK anyway.

In essence yes with a 16amp cable you will only get a max of 3k on any ac charge point with 32amp cable you will get a max of just under 7kw, with a sr MG4, phase 1 (my22-23) LR cars can use 3 phase and with a 3 phase 32amp cable could charge on ac up to 11kw

I've got a 22-model SE SR with whatever bog-standard cable my dealer thought he could fob me off with, and I was getting over 5 Kw on a destination charger last week. I didn't do anything at all other than plug the cable in at both ends and start the charge via the PodPoint app. So to me 3 Kw seems awfully low.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back