Dashcam install

Let me know how it goes and best of luck. It's nice not to cut into the cars original wiring.

I'm currently powering my front dashcam using the power feed that goes to the auto dimming mirror, and while it works, I'm hoping to use parking mode if there's a permanent live in the roof module thing.
In my current petrol vehicle I have a dashcam just plugged into the 12v socket and I remove it when the engine is off as the socket is always 'live' and I don't want to drain the battery overnight or if the car is sitting for days whatever. My dashcam has it's own battery for parking mode anyway which is charged when plugged in.
Doesn't your dashcam have a separate battery in it for parking mode? If it is permanently 'live' as you desire would that not run your battery down over time, assuming the MG4 has a separate 12v battery for features such as this?

Last edited:
Doesn't your dashcam have a separate battery in it for parking mode? If it is permanently 'live' as you desire would that not run your battery down over time, assuming the MG4 has a separate 12v battery for features such as this?

My dashcam is a Viofo A119 V3 which will use the main 12v battery in the car for power even when in parking mode. I don't plan on using any extra batteries for this.

In order to stop the camera completely running down the 12v battery, the hardwire kit has a low voltage cutoff, so when the battery reaches a certain voltage, power stops going to the camera.

This page explains it better then I can:

While this doesn't sound like a perfect solution, it should be good enough for me as I use my MG4 pretty often, and the parking mode on this camera shouldn't use a lot of battery, but I do plan on measuring the power usage once I get the wiring sorted for parking mode.

Had a busy day today installing things in the MG4, including my Nextbase 522GW and rear cam. Wasn't easy but I persevered, thanks to the notes and pics in this thread. All working perfectly now. I must say this car is better held together than my previous Mercedes!

20230407_174759.jpg

20230407_174738.jpg

20230407_174611~2.jpg

Good job, looks nice and neat

The best way is to take 12v power from the interior lights.
I have found the pre-made wiring with adaptor to out put 5V.
I have bought one and I'll receive it by the end of May.( The seller confirmed it'll power on the dash camera as soon as you unlock the car)
I'll get a pin out diagram of it when I got it
Do you have a link for the adapter?

Good job, looks nice and neat

Do you have a link for the adapter?
It's here if you can access to Taobao.
https://m.tb.cn/h.UstiSun?tk=YqwEdPZ03U8

I have ordered 2, first one should arrive next week, second one should arrive end of May.
I will find out pin out and share here. I will also sale the second one if someone wants one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230407_210602.jpg
    Screenshot_20230407_210602.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Thanks. Can’t see much, I’ll have a look and see if I can find the same on AliExpress
I believe the connector is the same in ZS.
£46.99 31%OFF | 4K HD 2160P Plug And Play WIFi Car DVR Video Recorder Dash Cam For MG4 MG MULAN 2022 24-Hour Parking Monitoring By Mobile APP

This kit has the same adaptor.

Thanks again. Hopefully I can find it on Ali.

Edit - can you tell me what the exact name of the part is, so that I can search for it?

Thanks again. Hopefully I can find it on Ali.

Edit - can you tell me what the exact name of the part is, so that I can search for it?
Not sure the English name.
Basically it's a simple male and female connector with few wires, it added 2 additional wires to output 12v DC.
It's very easy to make your own version if you know the pin out.
Or you could use below things to take power from the lights wires, again need find out pin out first.
£0.41 76%OFF | 10PCS/20PCS Wire Connector Scotch Lock Snap AWG22-10 Without Breaking Cable Insulated Crimp Quick Splice Electrical Terminals

Not sure the English name.
Basically it's a simple male and female connector with few wires, it added 2 additional wires to output 12v DC.
It's very easy to make your own version if you know the pin out.
Or you could use below things to take power from the lights wires, again need find out pin out first.
£0.41 76%OFF | 10PCS/20PCS Wire Connector Scotch Lock Snap AWG22-10 Without Breaking Cable Insulated Crimp Quick Splice Electrical Terminals
Very helpful, thank you

Had my dashcams professionally reinstalled today.

For anyone interested they were able to use empty live and switched live slots in the fuse box rather than tapping onto existing fuses. He installed a battery monitor to ensure voltage doesn't drop too low.

I will try and get the pictures and post them here for anyone interested.

If you don't want to do it yourself and want to get someone to install your cameras or supply and install cameras, I highly recommend David at dashcams.co.uk. He did my ZS and now my MG4.
David is coming tomorrow to install a front and rear dashcam for me. I am reassured by the fact that he has done several MG4 installations.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Question for those who have installed the dashcam with parking mode: after some time, have you had problems with the 12v battery charge?

Question for those who have installed the dashcam with parking mode: after some time, have you had problems with the 12v battery charge?
No, because the dashcam kit has a battery monitor and is set to cut off at a certain voltage or after 12 hours. The MG4 also tops up the 12v if need from high voltage when parked

No, because the dashcam kit has a battery monitor and is set to cut off at a certain voltage or after 12 hours. The MG4 also tops up the 12v if need from high voltage when parked

So even with the car off and not connected to the charging cable, if necessary, the 12v battery is charged, right?

I'm not 100% sure that is correct ... the car will sacrifice the 12V battery to protect the HV battery. 12V battery is charged when the car is in READY state or it is being charged (as far as I know).

I'm not 100% sure that is correct ... the car will sacrifice the 12V battery to protect the HV battery. 12V battery is charged when the car is in READY state or it is being charged (as far as I know).
This is what I was referring to, intelligent charging. Under certain conditions it will. It won’t if the HV is low or if a charger is plugged in (and not charging)
IMG_0753.jpeg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom