Dashcam install

Yes by the drivers knee, you access it by first taking off the panel on the side which then allows access to remove some screws to release the panel by the knee

I had mine installed yesterday at Halfords. Notable things were that it was a complete pain to get the panel out - no pop out fuse area, all screwed and glued in. He did it with some application of tools I dont have. Then, he found the fuses are "odd" i.e. have 3 pins rather than the 2 normally used (he said). Still, all working satisfactorily. I dont think he found any spare slots, but piggy backed on the lighter fuse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had mine installed yesterday at Halfords. Notable things were that it was a complete pain to get the panel out - no pop out fuse area, all screwed and glued in. He did it with some application of tools I dont have. Then, he found the fuses are "odd" i.e. have 3 pins rather than the 2 normally used (he said). Still, all working satisfactorily. I dont think he found any spare slots, but piggy backed on the lighter fuse.
The fuse is abnormal but having taken the door surround rubber strip off, the A pillar cover off with a door trim removal tool then the same with the fuse box cover plus a couple of screws. It was not difficult but pedantic and all went back together easily as well.

The fuse is abnormal but having taken the door surround rubber strip off, the A pillar cover off with a door trim removal tool then the same with the fuse box cover plus a couple of screws. It was not difficult but pedantic and all went back together easily as well.
True - that's what my guy thought - after. The start of it didnt impress him though as this does seem unusually "secure"

Post #11 has a picture of the fuse box with indicated spare positions. I managed to fit the Dashcam plug(s) by just removing the side panel. Fiddly but saved removing the dash.

20230916_200841.jpg
20230916_194050.jpg
IMG_20230916_204223_835.jpg
IMG_20230916_204224_003.jpg

Installed my dash cam over the last couple of days with rear camera and wired through fuse box.
My observations:
Piggy back fuse adapter needed a fair amount of pairing to fit in fuse box and of course it is the most difficult slot to access.
Pulling rear cable through the trunking from car to hatch is doable with effort - I used an existing thin grab claw type thing while forcing tubing ends open with open pliers.
The rest came apart and went back together fairly easily (car interior removal tool)

Taobao
the very original AliExpress in China
It's here if you can access to Taobao.
https://m.tb.cn/h.UstiSun?tk=YqwEdPZ03U8

I have ordered 2, first one should arrive next week, second one should arrive end of May.
I will find out pin out and share here. I will also sale the second one if someone wants one.
How have you managed to get them? I go to the basket to buy and translation says “this product cannot be purchased or shipped due to relevent laws, regulations or Taobao policies”

On our SE (at least), you only need 2 pin piggyback fuse adapter thingies (official term, I believe! 🤪) to install - Dashcam install

How have you managed to get them? I go to the basket to buy and translation says “this product cannot be purchased or shipped due to relevent laws, regulations or Taobao policies”
I'm getting the same message after about 25 mins of trying to set an address. Format has to be address line1, address line2, etc rather than with a line return between like any normal site.

I'm getting the same message after about 25 mins of trying to set an address. Format has to be address line1, address line2, etc rather than with a line return between like any normal site.
Have you got it to work? Just checked and my address is in the correct format but still not working

Have you got it to work? Just checked and my address is in the correct format but still not working
Nope, I just get the same cannot be shipped message. Others who have got this seem to use 3rd party shippers but I just can't be bothered TBH. I'll just run a cable up from the fusebox if needed.

I had originally planned to use these for ignition and permanent supply:
View attachment 14843

...but found that the upper-left triple-pole fuse socket doesn't actually have a feed to it (on our SE, at least!):

View attachment 14845

As such, had to piggyback off the adjacent 5A fuse.
Then had issues getting the triple-pole fuse tap to fit into the socket, even though it appears identical to the fuse. Even trimming down the terminals didn't help!

View attachment 14848

I then noticed that the existing triple-pole 5A fuse socket doesn't actually utilise all 3 sockets (again, on our SE, at least):

View attachment 14849
(Image above with the 5A triple-pole fuse removed)

As such, ended up using a total of 2x of the more standard (2-pole) mini fuse taps:
View attachment 14850
(Image also shows Gnd connection).
I might be being thick here but why do you need a switched live and a permanent live, surely it's one or the other?

Also can't see how you would use two using a nexbase hardware kit, that only allows one feed?

I might be being thick here but why do you need a switched live and a permanent live, surely it's one or the other?

Also can't see how you would use two using a nexbase hardware kit, that only allows one feed?
Depending on DashCam, you only need one, a switched but a permanent feed with battery protection allows the camera to be woken up if it detects movement or someone crashes into the vehicle.

Had my dashcams professionally reinstalled today.

For anyone interested they were able to use empty live and switched live slots in the fuse box rather than tapping onto existing fuses. He installed a battery monitor to ensure voltage doesn't drop too low.

I will try and get the pictures and post them here for anyone interested.

If you don't want to do it yourself and want to get someone to install your cameras or supply and install cameras, I highly recommend David at dashcams.co.uk. He did my ZS and now my MG4.
I recently DIY Fitted a front and rear dash cams into our MG4 Trophy LR, it's not difficult, I didn't go into the fuse box at all, I used the included cigarette lighter, being hidden under the charging shelf, it doesn't show at all, the tricky part was feeding the cable to the rear camera inside the door pillar and under the roof lining, it's not difficult, the door shut rubber seals have to be eased off at the top and then the cable fished through the rear section of roof, to come out where the flexible rubber cable protector, which feeds the lighting etc in the boot lid.
There's a reasonable Utube video giving instructions.
Getting the cable to the rear camera through the flexible rubber duct was tricky, until I put a small amount of washing up liquid to lubricate the cable, the Utube guy suggested silicone grease, I have some, but washing up liquid was easier.

MG4 FRONT & REAR DASHCAM INSTALL PART 1 & 2.​

From Toms man Shed.​

Last edited:
I recently DIY Fitted a front and rear dash cams into our MG4 Trophy LR, it's not difficult, I didn't go into the fuse box at all, I used the included cigarette lighter, being hidden under the charging shelf, it doesn't show at all, the tricky part was feeding the cable to the rear camera inside the door pillar and under the roof lining, it's not difficult, the door shut rubber seals have to be eased off at the top and then the cable fished through the rear section of roof, to come out where the flexible rubber cable protector, which feeds the lighting etc in the boot lid.
There's a reasonable Utube video giving instructions.
Getting the cable to the rear camera through the flexible rubber duct was tricky, until I put a small amount of washing up liquid to lubricate the cable, the Utube guy suggested silicone grease, I have some, but washing up liquid was easier.

MG4 FRONT & REAR DASHCAM INSTALL PART 1 & 2.​

From Toms man Shed.​

Was it the video I made? sounds like my instructions the silicone grease can get messy but it really helps.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom